Mach 1 10r80 downshifting

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Currently walking: Ordered a 2021 Mach 1
So I have the 10 speed automatic transmission on my mustang mach 1, and it seems to downshift to a point where the car gradually comes to s stop, instead of coasting. Is this normal? I'm coming from a crown vic, from over a year ago (yes it's been over a year since I've driven), and usually when I let off the gas, the car would coast, but the mach 1 just naturally down shifts, which causes some engine breaking, and really slows the car down instead of coasting, is this normal? What drive mode should I be in? It did it with the car in drive while in normal, sport+ and it did it in both modes. And I also shifted it into sport and tried it on normal and sport+ is this normal? I feel like I should be able to coast a good distance? Sorry if this should be in the regular 10r80 information thread.
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
So I have the 10 speed automatic transmission on my mustang mach 1, and it seems to downshift to a point where the car gradually comes to s stop, instead of coasting. Is this normal? I'm coming from a crown vic, from over a year ago (yes it's been over a year since I've driven), and usually when I let off the gas, the car would coast, but the mach 1 just naturally down shifts, which causes some engine breaking, and really slows the car down instead of coasting, is this normal? What drive mode should I be in? It did it with the car in drive while in normal, sport+ and it did it in both modes. And I also shifted it into sport and tried it on normal and sport+ is this normal? I feel like I should be able to coast a good distance? Sorry if this should be in the regular 10r80 information thread.
It is normal. Mine doesn’t do it in normal mode but it definitely does it in sport mode especially now that I have the tune. That’s one of my favorite parts about the A10. Enjoy it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Coasting like you describe it in the Crown Vic typically uses gas. The downshifting and engine braking in the Mach and many other more modern cars shuts off the injectors and saves some gas. It's called DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off).

It's mainly done to slow the car down and to save fuel. If you want to coast, pop it in neutral and coast away.

Also, it will do this more aggressively in sport modes, not so much in normal. So keep it in normal to limit the downshifts and engine braking.

OP
OP

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys for the feedback! I appreciate it. The shifts weren't jerky or anything, they were still smooth, so I was just wondering if this is normal. And now that I know it is, I'm not worried about it, I'll get used to it in a day.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you guys for the feedback! I appreciate it. The shifts weren't jerky or anything, they were still smooth, so I was just wondering if this is normal. And now that I know it is, I'm not worried about it, I'll get used to it in a day.
It’s actually a lot of fun. If you need to brake on the highway for any reason the transmission in sport mode will hold the RPMs in certain situations so if you need to go again it’s already there. Lots of fun. Enjoy your car.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It’s actually a lot of fun. If you need to brake on the highway for any reason the transmission in sport mode will hold the RPMs in certain situations so if you need to go again it’s already there. Lots of fun. Enjoy your car.
Thank you so very much 🙏🙏 I'm already enjoying it, and I still haven't opened it up yet because its traffic hour. I'm just waiting. 😁😁 I legit cant stop smiling. Lol

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Are you guys saying the downshifting is normal in normal mode? I don't have a mach but in normal trans mode my 10r80 does seem to just coast out - in sport it definitely downshifts...

OP
OP

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Are you guys saying the downshifting is normal in normal mode? I don't have a mach but in normal trans mode my 10r80 does seem to just coast out - in sport it definitely downshifts...
I think the transmission still needs to learn how I drive. As I continued to drive it around more, it seems to be coasting a bit more and downshifting a bit less, but still down shifting and causing a bit of engine braking. I'm already used to it now, and kinda enjoying it tbh.. it just sounds so beautiful. Like it was really downshifting more than I was expecting it to when I first hopped in and drove it, but I just never had a car do that to me before. I actually like it now. It seems to be coasting out a bit more, but not like the vic would. My vic was old and outdated and beat to shit though.

docday64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG, M1333 Mach 1, 2013 Taurus SHO PP
Yes, it takes the A10 a bit to learn your particular driving style.
Yes, I have noticed the a bit of the "engine braking" while coasting up to a red light or stop sign when in Normal mode, nothing too bad or drastic.
Yes, the auto downshifting is a lot more aggressive when in Sport + mode = :like: sounds awesome.
One thing I have learned to do when I am about to get on it hard from a coasting condition is to "blip" the throttle hard real quick, she will drop from 7th or 8th gear down to 3rd and hold it there so you are ready to nail it to the floor. This car seems to love 3rd gear in Sport + mode when being a bit more rambunctious on some back roads.
Enjoy it and be careful.
Sponsored