Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
An old school good friend has owned a long list of manual transmission Mustangs to include a Terminator, a 2013 GT500 and now a 2019 GT350. I take him for a spirited run in the new GT500 CFTP and let him get behind the wheel to see what he thinks. I do a Drag Mode launch and a full braking 100-0 to show him the CFTP in action! A funny side note adventure: I got the car stuck trying to get into a gas station!

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Nice video. I was also firmly in the manual camp. When this car first came out I thought to myself there is no way in hell I’m buying that car without a manual. After owning And driving the car for sometime now the DCT is amazing. So far I have not missed the manual transmission of my GT 350. This car is just as fun and engaging as a GT 350. Even with such a refined dual clutch transmission the car gets plenty rowdy and you still get that raw visceral experience from it that we all liked with the GT 350 And other manual mustangs.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Nice video. I was also firmly in the manual camp. When this car first came out I thought to myself there is no way in hell I’m buying that car without a manual. After owning And driving the car for sometime now the DCT is amazing. So far I have not missed the manual transmission of my GT 350. This car is just as fun and engaging as a GT 350. Even with such a refined dual clutch transmission the car gets plenty rowdy and you still get that raw visceral experience from it that we all liked with the GT 350 And other manual mustangs.
Hell YES!

I too was a life-long manual only Mustang guy. My first experience with the DCT was in Vegas for the unveiling event (before the cars were sold to the public. It was in a car that is a twin to my CFTP… I was in the first group that went straight out onto the road course. With zero instruction/training, they threw us in the car, said “good luck” and closed the door! It was somewhere around the 2nd turn where I started to say “HOLY SHITBALLZ! This thing is awesome!”

I have a bunch of other Mustangs, all of which are manuals. My favorite has always been my 2000 Cobra R. The DCT equipped CFTP has nudged out the R into 2nd place. The DCT, and the rest of the package, is just mind-boggling AWESOME!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If they offered the DCT as an option in the GT, it would be nice. Otherwise manual...

Sponsored

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Had this exact experience with a buddy of mine who has had numerous built and supercharged mustangs. He passed on a 2020 500 for a 350 bc of the manual. I gave him keys to my car few weeks ago. He was speechless. Said it's the 1st time in his life he would actually want a mustang with an auto and not a manual.

Definitely something you have to drive to experience and understand!

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am not surprised to hear the DCT is well liked by Mustang owners. I own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the single overhead cam 4.7 liter V8 with the auto trans and can see why a DCT would be a blast to drive. My 2000 JGC shifts so smooth I can not feel when it downshifts or upshifts . I brake late into the corners and accelerate hard out of the corners. With the deep rear gears in my JGC it feels like I have a lot more horsepower than a 4.7 liter V8 should have. I am a manual trans fan , but I do have an auto trans 1991 Mustang 5.0. I know from my experience with my 2000 JGC , I would immediately love driving a GT500 with DCT.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
If they offered the DCT as an option in the GT, it would be nice. Otherwise manual...
Someone commented on my YouTube channel that Ford should offer this transmission in the rest of the Mustang lineup to include the GT and ecoboost Mustangs. I replied that it is too expensive of a tranny and would seriously drive up the price of the cheaper Mustangs. I had heard this thing costs $20k. It would be impossible to offer that in a cheap entry level Mustang.

It is an amazing piece of machinery though and with the ability to stay in boost while cracking-off shifts, it is a game changer!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Remember, the transmission actually is an electric manual, no TC.
I have been saying that for a while now. Finally people get it.

This is not an automatic transmission. An automatic trans has a torque converter, the DCT has two manual clutches that are electronically controlled.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Have had a DCT in the wife’s VW GTI for ten years and still don’t like the paddles. They seem useless as if I want to go hard in it I simply put it in sport mode and it flies but I never really drive it for fun. So while I have no doubt about anything said by everyone, it’s not for me.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I have been saying that for a while now. Finally people get it.

This is not an automatic transmission. An automatic trans has a torque converter, the DCT has two manual clutches that are electronically controlled.
9388ADAD-4B0A-4BE5-8F41-B61E0337BEBA.png

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
And then the fight started…… :cwl: :cwl:
Sponsored