Leaning Towards Hellion over the Whipple

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have no dog in this hunt. I also have never had a PD blower or a TT car.

I do have a centri on my 2018 and I am more than happy with it, in fact I am elated every time I take it for a spin.

I have to mention the tuning is absolutely critical on any FI set up, getting it right can make all the difference in either configuration.

An A10 can put you in boost in an instant at virtually any rpm. With a centri, there is no violent tire shredding hit at low rpm, but the centri does hit like gang busters thanks to the A10 and pulls like a freight train all the way to redline.

I like the fact that my IAT's are like a NA car with my centri, the system is super, super simple, and so far has been 100% reliable and trouble free.

As Beefcake Racing has said hundreds of times, you can't go wrong with any FI system on a coyote. I completely agree.
Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Centri as well, first FI car. I wanted cheaper to get into it, air to air IC and ease of install. I kind of made a SWAG and figured they were easiest on parts as the power ramps in, probably negligible differences. I think same RWP will have no real noticeable outcome any given day in an A10 car. They all probably feel different in the way the power comes on, but exact same RWP it will be within a tenth or so. Reaction time, wheel spin, and other variables will come into play in the street probably more than which type of FI. Pick the one you want to meet your goals. If it is instant torque, well the PD is the answer but I think there are more things to consider.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
The absolute biggest upside of a turbo kit is the adjustability. Cant be denied. Its nice to run around at 600-650 and turn it up only when needed. Where as other setups you gotta be at 600 or 800 you decide and thats what you have, in the case of centrifugals not entirely as you can be pullied for 800whp but have a tune that shifts at 67-6800rpm daily which would likely take 70whp off the table or you can keep the full rpm file in it and shift early with paddles, still just not as easy as a boost controller.

Cons is the cost of good turbo kits with good turbos, and the gadgets that come with them. The whole oil scavenging stuff can be annoying if it leaks and difficult to find and a lot of people claim turbos tend to loosen clamps way more than centrifugals, probably because they reach peak boost quicker. Control over boost can be a con if the owner has no self control, the "ill just go up another psi" can be a bi***.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
the supercharger will jump ahead... period... twin turbo will have the advantage on the top end... but street use? SC will always jump ahead if they have traction.

Sure a whipple car will beat a 6psi turbo car. :cwl: Boost controller is whipples worst nightmare.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
The absolute biggest upside of a turbo kit is the adjustability. Cant be denied. Its nice to run around at 600-650 and turn it up only when needed.
Couldn't you pulley down on a centri and do the same thing? Of course it will change how to power comes on and it you'll probably get some extra heat with it.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
the supercharger will jump ahead... period... twin turbo will have the advantage on the top end... but street use? SC will always jump ahead if they have traction.

I have an irrational deep hatred toward roll-racing at a track (or just about anywhere really).

It is a character flaw I do not intend to correct...

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Couldn't you pulley down on a centri and do the same thing? Of course it will change how to power comes on and it you'll probably get some extra heat with it.
Yes but it isn't quick and in many cases require a different belt size.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Yes but it isn't quick and in many cases require a different belt size.
I mean set it up this way from the beginning (after tune if course). Pulley to max rpm for the blower. Then put a boost controller on it. When you want x psi set that and when you want y set that. I am moving up to a JTB from the Paxton and plan on doing something similar with a Beefcakes setup, this will require a spring change in the valve to change max psi. I could get a boost controller instead and control it from the cabin. However in my case I will set a spring for the max the motor can handle (E85, pumps etc.). Won't have control on the fly.

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
Sure a whipple car will beat a 6psi turbo car. :cwl: Boost controller is whipples worst nightmare.
4A8E23CF-6A2A-4FFB-8727-E8A3E62716BD.png

I think itā€™s funny that people think the turbo car wonā€¦

Whipple is the white car lol šŸ˜‚ .. whipple ftw

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019

14 psi on a turbo is more power than 17 psi on the whipple because the turbos use power differently. I could be wrong but Iā€™m pretty sure the grey car is making more power. Whipple is just instant turbo takes time to spool

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I mean set it up this way from the beginning (after tune if course). Pulley to max rpm for the blower. Then put a boost controller on it. When you want x psi set that and when you want y set that. I am moving up to a JTB from the Paxton and plan on doing something similar with a Beefcakes setup, this will require a spring change in the valve to change max psi. I could get a boost controller instead and control it from the cabin. However in my case I will set a spring for the max the motor can handle (E85, pumps etc.). Won't have control on the fly.
Although these wastegates seem to be a somewhat popular mod I just dont have the desire to introduce turbo problems into an otherwise reliable, repeatable and consistent setup like I have.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Although these wastegates seem to be a somewhat popular mod I just dont have the desire to introduce turbo problems into an otherwise reliable, repeatable and consistent setup like I have.
Concur with keeping it simple. I figured the torque booster with a spring was more simple than a boost controller. Though I might regret it and just go back to pulley/belt changes as required (not that hard to do, maybe 30 minutes).

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo

In that video the whipple car won. Nobody thought the Turbo car won. I think you misunderstood my post. A whipple cars worst nightmare is a turbo car with a boost controller. A couple button pushes and whipple car is in the turbo cars rear view mirror. Go check all the records for fast cars. Twins dominate and they dominate for a reason.

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
In that video the whipple car won. Nobody thought the Turbo car won. I think you misunderstood my post. A whipple cars worst nightmare is a turbo car with a boost controller. A couple button pushes and whipple car is in the turbo cars rear view mirror. Go check all the records for fast cars. Twins dominate and they dominate for a reason.
My bad I misunderstood I thought you meant the turbo car won

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Twins are sweet but a pita when you have to work on the car. All out weekend toy or drag car twins. If you want ease of use and a factory like install get the whipple its that simple.
I had a car with scavenging pumps and when it failed it looked like I deployed a smoke screen. I would never do a set up like that again.
Sponsored