Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
If it is a fuel issue wouldn’t I also have drivability issues in cooler weather?
You said it sometines experiences cold start idle hunting. That is not normal.

If only 85-90 degree weather is causing the drivability issues you describe, it is possible than your IC pump is not running and IAT2 is extremely high.

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You said it sometines experiences cold start idle hunting. That is not normal.

If only 85-90 degree weather is causing the drivability issues you describe, it is possible than your IC pump is not running and IAT2 is extremely high.
Good thinking! I’ll check to see if it is running when engine is hot.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Good thinking! I’ll check to see if it is running when engine is hot.
Roush replaced my pump under warranty. A few guys had bad pump relays that prevented the pump from running. Iat2 goes WAY up if the pump isn't working correctly. Extreme iat2 could cause your issues.

Z-Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ROUSH Stage 3 Phase 2 - A10 - 3.55 gears
Roush replaced my pump under warranty. A few guys had bad pump relays that prevented the pump from running. Iat2 goes WAY up if the pump isn't working correctly. Extreme iat2 could cause your issues.
mine was a bad relay. Didn’t notice till I installed a gauge to see iat2 temps

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
…I’ll likely get PBD to do a 93 tune that takes advantage of the cooler IATs that I should get from the KC ….What do y’all think of this approach?
The phase 1 tune max’d out spark command at 100 deg MCT (IAT2) and did not add anything at colder temps. It *may* have allowed more knock advance but I didn’t dig in to see.

The phase 2 cal baseline spark timing is at 122 deg MCT as opposed to 100 like all the other tunes. It does add timing command if colder than 122 and keeps adding all the way down to 0 deg f. However, it doesn’t add as much as I would expect. It adds a maximum of 3.5 deg, whereas the predator, for example, adds 6 deg over a smaller span. I’m telling you this to show that the KC will add power on the stock roush cal but not as aggressively as it could IMO. That said, I can’t guarantee that an aftermarket tune will be any better. I’ve noticed that a lot of aftermarket tunes just use knock advance to push closer to the limits, which is the quick/easy/riskier way to do it (again, IMO).

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I freely acknowledge the basic design flaws of the Roush. I also acknowledge that their cal may be leaving some power on the table.

What I do like about their cal is excellent drivability, extremely consistent performance and the general feeling that it is reliable. I feel like I can run at the strip all day and never break anything. (Knock on wood.)

I do not go to the strip if temps are over 80 or so. So far, this year, the warmest it has been at the track is low 70s. I can run back to back and turn in times within a few hundreths of a second in those cool conditions. Heat soak is not a factor.

I understand you guys who live in hotter climates face challenges that I do not....although we are currently in the 90s with high humidity with no cooling trend in sight. In normal driving or even some spirited driving, the car runs flawlessly in these conditions. It likely would not be so flawless at the strip but I do not care to go when it feels like a sauna.

Last edited:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
you're supposed to dyno an auto in 5th gear.
Roush itself gives conflicting info on this but 7th is the 1:1 gear. Every time we’ve tried 6th the tires slip on the dyno and the graph shows it. I could only imagine how bad 5th would be.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
No doubt there is more power, better all around performance and drivability with a custom tune. The Roush tune throws a lot of fuel, runs quite a bit of boost at 12psi on 91 or 93 in my opinion. Due to warranty constraints they have quite a bit of parameters dumbed down to limit potential warranty claims at the expense of overall performance. If I didn’t have as many issues as I did with catalytic issues I would ditch my 5 year/60K warranty on my RS3 and get a custom tune with no hesitation.

WOTPULLS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 and 2015 Mustang GT, Roush Supercharged,
Roush itself gives conflicting info on this but 7th is the 1:1 gear. Every time we’ve tried 6th the tires slip on the dyno and the graph shows it. I could only imagine how bad 5th would be.
Where is the conflicting info from Roush?
7th is 1:1 but that is not a viable gear due to the speed limiter.
5th gear is the gear for A10 cars from Roush. maybe some better tires are needed to help out with that spin or strapping the car down different/positioning on the dyno.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
No doubt there is more power, better all around performance and drivability with a custom tune.
I don't know how the drivability of the Roush tune could be any better. Their latest cal has the engine running smoother than stock. Under WOT, the AFR is pretty rich but when cruising it is about the same as stock on 93 E10.

Throttle tip-in is a little softer in normal mode than stock but I really prefer that when in stop & go traffic. Sport mode is nicely snappy. Drag mode is not as aggressive as stock but that is by design to protect the driveline.

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The phase 1 tune max’d out spark command at 100 deg MCT (IAT2) and did not add anything at colder temps. It *may* have allowed more knock advance but I didn’t dig in to see.

The phase 2 cal baseline spark timing is at 122 deg MCT as opposed to 100 like all the other tunes. It does add timing command if colder than 122 and keeps adding all the way down to 0 deg f. However, it doesn’t add as much as I would expect. It adds a maximum of 3.5 deg, whereas the predator, for example, adds 6 deg over a smaller span. I’m telling you this to show that the KC will add power on the stock roush cal but not as aggressively as it could IMO. That said, I can’t guarantee that an aftermarket tune will be any better. I’ve noticed that a lot of aftermarket tunes just use knock advance to push closer to the limits, which is the quick/easy/riskier way to do it (again, IMO).
Thank you. Good to know since my primary objective at this time is to get more consistent performance at higher ambient temps.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Where is the conflicting info from Roush?
7th is 1:1 but that is not a viable gear due to the speed limiter.
5th gear is the gear for A10 cars from Roush. maybe some better tires are needed to help out with that spin or strapping the car down different/positioning on the dyno.
Is this stated somewhere from Roush. First I’ve heard other than 1 to 1. I have been in contact with Roush they have the dyno graph. The did say it’s down on power and the rpm was lower but never mention for me to run it in 5th.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Thank you. Good to know since my primary objective at this time is to get more consistent performance at higher ambient temps.
The killer chiller lowers iat2's about 30 degrees on average... I used to average 120-150 depending on temps.... now it's 90-120...

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Wotpulls you are correct just got a txt from the installing dealers performance manager that Roush wants 5th gear pulls.
First I had heard of this.