Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This makes no sense. If you run E85 there is very little reason to install a KC.

Regarding aftermarket tunes, I believe there’s a little power roush left on the table with the cam timing and possibly lambda. Spark timing and throttle control look pretty good as supplied.
Thanks - I’ll likely eventually go to E85 when I can afford it but in the meantime I was looking to improve my drivability. I know E85 lowers IATs but have assumed that combining E85 with a KC would further reduce IATs so my investment in the KC wouldn’t be wasted when I upgrade to E85. Is that a bad assumption?

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Cimbt001, please describe your drivability issue. Regardless of which Roush tune, I have found drivability to be near perfection. While I am sure performance will suffer at iat2 over 150, anything below that seems to make no difference.
I am experiencing hesitation and lack of acceleration when ambient temps are over 85 while in day to day traffic. Experiencing the same on the highway when ambient temps are above 90 especially if I hit it hard more than once with even 5 minutes between hits. I’m also experiencing hard hot starts frequently and even on occasion cold starts though rarely. My assumption is that the engine is getting heat soaked - hence the KC install. Summer heat here in Florida is almost always over 90 so I’m frustrated that I’m experiencing hesitation most of the time. Cooler weather drivability is flawless with the exception of occasional cold start idle hunting that can occur at any temperature.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Thanks - I’ll likely eventually go to E85 when I can afford it but in the meantime I was looking to improve my drivability. I know E85 lowers IATs but have assumed that combining E85 with a KC would further reduce IATs so my investment in the KC wouldn’t be wasted when I upgrade to E85. Is that a bad assumption?
Lowering IAT with a PD blower has one sole purpose, which is to move you away from knock. E85 pretty much almost never knocks so it doesn’t need the reduced IAT to avoid knock altogether.

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Lowering IAT with a PD blower has one sole purpose, which is to move you away from knock. E85 pretty much almost never knocks so it doesn’t need the reduced IAT to avoid knock altogether.
Good to know! Thanks!!

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am experiencing hesitation and lack of acceleration when ambient temps are over 85 while in day to day traffic. Experiencing the same on the highway when ambient temps are above 90 especially if I hit it hard more than once with even 5 minutes between hits. I’m also experiencing hard hot starts frequently and even on occasion cold starts though rarely. My assumption is that the engine is getting heat soaked - hence the KC install. Summer heat here in Florida is almost always over 90 so I’m frustrated that I’m experiencing hesitation most of the time. Cooler weather drivability is flawless with the exception of occasional cold start idle hunting that can occur at any temperature.
That almost sounds like a fuel issue. Without knowing your iat2, it is impossible to know if that is the issue. There have been cases of bad pump relays that cause crazy high iat2s. That could also be the issue. I have drag raced in 85 degree weather. My car NEVER experiences any of the behavior you mention. Neither should yours. Here is our weather:

Screenshot_20210605-145716_Chrome.jpg

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Cimbt001, I assume your car is under warranty. I suggest you get the drivability issues diagnosed before you put the warranty in jeopardy with a custom tune or KC.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Thank you for your help! Five Bar is my local tuner. I was thinking that I would go to either VMP or PBD when I go E85 anyway. BTW can you help me understand why wouldn’t a flex tune be appropriate for FI? Sorry for these basic questions - I’m a newbie.
No tuner I am aware will do a flex tune on fi for later gen Mustangs, na sure but not boosted. If there were literal sensors to accurately detect e % maybe. Just too much to go wrong under boost with too much timing added due to inferred e levels that may not be accurate etc.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Here the results
3 runs total first run didnt graph
Runs had a min cool down

4638DC35-A821-4909-AFB1-262A769A7D11.jpeg
This is Phase 1 or 2? If it's 2, something looks wrong. Unless it was severely heatsoaked.

Here is Phase 1 on my 2018 300A.
ReedSAE.jpg

Here is Phase 2 on my 2018 300A with a Borla Type S exhaust.
Reed 2.jpg

Here is Phase 2 on my 2019 401A.
20210302_002525121_iOS (2).jpg

All of my runs were in fairly cool temps of 70 degrees or 80 degrees. The 2018 had a tune from over a year ago.

Best 1/4 in the 300A was 11.3 @ 127ish
Best 1/4 in the 401A is 10.9 @ 129ish

Last edited:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
That almost sounds like a fuel issue. Without knowing your iat2, it is impossible to know if that is the issue. There have been cases of bad pump relays that cause crazy high iat2s. That could also be the issue. I have drag raced in 85 degree weather. My car NEVER experiences any of the behavior you mention. Neither should yours. Here is our weather:

I know you say you have never experienced high IAT2's but the next time you have a 99 degree day, park your car outside in the sun from 7am until 4pm and then drive it 5 miles or so and park it.. Give it 20 minutes, start it up and drive it home. Tell me what your IAT2's are. If I do the above on a 100 degree day (I don't have a garage, my car is outside in the sun), my iat2's are in the 135 to 140 area when I cruise home... After a WOT pull they go way above that.

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
No tuner I am aware will do a flex tune on fi for later gen Mustangs, na sure but not boosted. If there were literal sensors to accurately detect e % maybe. Just too much to go wrong under boost with too much timing added due to inferred e levels that may not be accurate etc.
Thanks! Based on what everyone is saying I will pass on the custom tune and stay with the ROUSH tune for now.

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Cimbt001, I assume your car is under warranty. I suggest you get the drivability issues diagnosed before you put the warranty in jeopardy with a custom tune or KC.
I do have a carbon drive shaft, perf half shafts, and billet OPG so warranty is not a factor. That being said, will certainly address drivability with ROUSH.

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

If it is a fuel issue wouldn’t I also have drivability issues in cooler weather?

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I also asked them the same question and they said they would use inferred e values but I’m not sure how they were calculating the inferred values. I’ll be taking everyone’s advice and pass on the custom tune and save up for a PBD E85 tune downstream. In meantime will have the KC installed and check to see if I’m running the latest ROUSH tune. Hopefully ROUSH will update my tune if I’m not running the most current tune but if not, I’ll likely get PBD to do a 93 tune that takes advantage of the cooler IATs that I should get from the KC and later pay them to tune for E85 when I’m ready. What do y’all think of this approach?

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This is Phase 1 or 2? If it's 2, something looks wrong. Unless it was severely heatsoaked.

Here is Phase 1 on my 2018 300A.
ReedSAE.jpg

Here is Phase 2 on my 2018 300A with a Borla Type S exhaust.
Reed 2.jpg

Here is Phase 2 on my 2019 401A.
20210302_002525121_iOS (2).jpg

All of my runs were in fairly cool temps of 70 degrees or 80 degrees. The 2018 had a tune from over a year ago.

Best 1/4 in the 300A was 11.3 @ 127ish
Best 1/4 in the 401A is 10.9 @ 129ish
This is a phase 2 kit and you are correct on power. This is why the dyno was done I’m in talks with the dealer and Roush to try and figure what’s going on with the 2021 kits and the reported low horsepower. I personally know of 4 kits that have pull lowered than expected hp. While talking with Gavin was told 620-640 is what this kit should put down. I know my ended around 6k rpm but looking at the plot a 66-6800 pull would net around 25-30 more hp. The rating mentioned from Roush was on 91 octane to. My installing dealer has a date set up the last week of June to get their car in the dyno and log for Roush to see if and when a fix will be out.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I know you say you have never experienced high IAT2's but the next time you have a 99 degree day, park your car outside in the sun from 7am until 4pm and then drive it 5 miles or so and park it.. Give it 20 minutes, start it up and drive it home. Tell me what your IAT2's are. If I do the above on a 100 degree day (I don't have a garage, my car is outside in the sun), my iat2's are in the 135 to 140 area when I cruise home... After a WOT pull they go way above that.
I didn't say that I hadn't experienced high IAT2 readings. I said I had never experienced drivability issues because of them. Of course if you park the car after driving it, the iat2 rises. I have seen 170 degrees on initial start-up. It sure as hell drops like a rock once the engine and pump start running, though, and the car runs fine.

My point to the Cimbt was that the drivability issues he experiences is not normal in the 85-90 degree weather he was talking about.

Last edited: