Sponsored

Why the Mach1 is a rip off

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
If I already owned a PP2 I would install the FP power pack, the $1000 swing (or $300 knock off, or Steeda functional wing), M1 fender lips (or use GM Corvette equiv) and if the Tremec felt so much better that's $5000 in parts+labor. Knock off graphics are already out there. Then assemble a Diff cooler from the parts list for $500.
Actually you can get the FRPP "swing" for about $500 (check levittown). I added up the costs and did end up at about $7500ish without installation (power pack, swing, trans, cooling...). I included better radiator and oil cooling since the Mach 1 has better cooling overall plus grills and hood vents to better support the cooling. I'm considering selling my PP2 if I can still get a good price from Vroom/Carvana when I'm ready and then holding off a few months before ordering a Mach 1 from Granger (unless my local dealer will match them). That should put me in at a decent price. Having all the track bits under warranty makes it worthwhile for me to try it.

If the used car market falls out before I'm ready then I'll keep my PP2 and continue upgrading it. I'd probably skip the "swing" and get a real wing at that point.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I strongly disagree about the Mach being a rip off and here is why...
If anyone read in other thread, sorry I moved it as I posted on accident earlier today

For me it made sense coming from a 6 year old paid off 15gt premium.
Bought the 15 new factory order for $34k and spent thousands over the years modding intake, exhaust, and suspension, MGW shifter, Winter & Summer tire/wheels.
Just like my Harley, mods are for your entertainment only really as you don't get the money back. I'm fine with that as it's my form of entertainment.
Sold it for $23k and I bought my Mach for $56,500 (A10, 700a, red Brembos, and Magnetic wheels)
Put down $6k with trade in money and financed around $30k for the next 6 years to have the same payment as my 15GT.

Here's what the Mach gave me for the money...
-Gen 3 Engine with Mach Tune & Intake (Much faster than Tuned 15GT)
-A10 ( Actually love all the different ways to drive it) (Paddles are better than GT's) slightly miss stick .
-3.55 gearing with torsen (15 had 3.31 non-torsen)
-Magnaride suspension ( so much better to have performance suspension from factory as aftermarket is not the same)
-Subframe and other suspension parts from GT350/500
-Better cooling radiator, trans, diff, oil (15 had none)
-Brembo brakes (15 had standard, what a huge difference)
-Digital dash (love the technology)
-Sync 3 ( much nicer with wireless apple car play)
-Heated wheel and nicer leather seats
- Active Exhaust (h-pipe installed)
-Special edition model from the past, different than just another GT
-New Warranty

Also I reserved my spot for first time at the track with my car at a local road course track and auto cross next month.

Lastly, a small little M2 goes for $65k these days

Regrets.... NONE... Car is absolutely amazing and handling is so awesome on this thing!

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This is a fun question, how much power is too much power for a daily driver / car operated on public roads N. America?

I'd say right around 500hp, somewhere in that 450hp -530hp range. Anything over 550 seems to me to be completely superfluous. Its one of the reasons why I don't know a damn thing about the GT500, good god what can you use that for? How much money?
There's some truth here.

The new GT500 currently occupies the top spot on a short list of potential replacements for my '15. It ticks all the boxes. However, memories of my hopped-up '07 GT500 (~540 WHP) keep creeping in, and I couldn't scratch the surface of what that car could do on public roads. I eventually started calling it the Penis Car, because it was like just driving around with my wang hanging out. Oh, 0-60, that was fun, better back off now before the gestapo gets me. I'd never track the new one, so I'm beginning to question why I even ponder bothering (outside the oncoming need to give up the man pedal due to a bum clutch knee). The lust for the car is still there though.

But the Mach is on the same list but much farther down. However, to me it's not worth the ~$30K delta (less if you consider the wacky car values at the moment) over my long-paid-off, low-mile, nicely modded '15 PP. I wish had Ford pushed the envelope further with it, to make me feel like I had to have it because it was vastly different than what I have. Same brakes, very similar mechanically, most importantly almost identical in terms of performance. Again, I'd never track it either.

Back to the quoted bit above, based on past cars my '15 with a flex tune is near the sweet spot for that ideal road car, and this is corrupting my thoughts of something new. I've got a new GT350 intake and associated parts sitting on the shelf that I never installed because I started pondering moving to the next big thing in terms of weekend fun car. Maybe I should just install that stuff and call it good, hope the clutch knee holds out, and just buy another chunk of property.

Talk about first world problems we have.....

Last edited:

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Now that the price of my Mach 1 build went up $1035 on the builder, guess it’s even less of a rip off for me! Lol

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Now that the price of my Mach 1 build went up $1035 on the builder, guess it’s even less of a rip off for me! Lol
But it’s still slower than a camaro which is cheaper. Therefore, still a ripoff. It’s science.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
But it’s still slower than a camaro which is cheaper. Therefore, still a ripoff. It’s science.
Only slower than the supercharged one and that can always be fixed …I’ll still be much better lookin!

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Frankly would get the Camaro if not for that hideous look or garbage visibility. Its definitely more "bang for your buck" if you don't need good visibility or don't care/happy with that look.

This thread is funny for so many reasons. If Mach 1 was a rip off, the market would have forced Ford's hand into reducing the prices and making some options much cheaper.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If Mach 1 was a rip off, the market would have forced Ford's hand into reducing the prices and making some options much cheaper.
I suspect Ford doesn't care if they only sell Camaro numbers due to mis-pricing.

Actually they just jacked the price by $1300 or double that in the last couple days so it's even more of a "rip-off". Either it's selling like hotcakes and why not grab another grand of easy money from people who are already gladly lining up to get their pockets picked (heh), or their input costs in Dearborn are horrendous, as opposed to across the way in Detroit. Or it's selling so badly they aren't making margin on low volume.

Or Mr. Ford desperately needs a couple fractions of a percent more profitability for his stock options to be more valuable. It couldn't possibly be that their own royal F'kup a year ago is costing them BIG to get chips and so rather than suffer margin compression (bad for stock), they're going to take it out of new customer hides. I'll bet F150 will see a healthy upward adjustment too.

Last edited:

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I suspect Ford doesn't care if they only sell Camaro numbers due to mis-pricing.

Actually they just jacked the price by $1300 or so in the last couple days so it's even more of a "rip-off". Either it's selling like hotcakes and why not grab another grand of easy money from people who are already gladly lining up to get their pockets picked (heh), or their input costs in Dearborn are horrendous, as opposed to across the way in Detroit. Or it's selling so badly they aren't making margin on low volume.

Or Mr. Ford desperately needs a couple fractions of a percent more profitability for his stock options to be more valuable. It couldn't possibly be that their own royal F'kup a year ago is costing them BIG to get chips and so rather than suffer margin compression (bad for stock), they're going to take it out of new customer hides. I'll bet F150 will see a healthy upward adjustment too.
I think you’ll see prices go up on all new cars. Everything cost more now. And Ford didn’t pickpocket me, I gladly paid the price for a car I wanted.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
think you’ll see prices go up on all new cars.
is it cost-push or demand-push though. That is a question. The 'pick pocket' was tongue in cheek in keeping with the title of the thread.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So with all the "for that money you should buy a GT350" talk, I looked to see if any were for sale that I'd buy if I preferred a GT350 for street driving.

This morning on Autotrader there are 344 GT350's for sale nationwide. Seems like a lot, I'm surprised so many people are selling them or trading for something different. I'm paying $55K for my Mach premium with handling package. The GT350's available in that price range are pretty much all 2016's or 17's with over 20K miles, most in the 30K mile range. I'd really be leery about buying a used 350 with an expired warranty in case it was one of the cars with the often-discussed engine issues. Probably would be fine but I wouldn't want to take that chance. 350's with Ford Gold certification would address that issue, 5 available nationwide for under $60,000. One of them has what I'd be looking for - Track Package, heated/cooled seats and Sync 3 for $58K. Add shipping across the country and it's pushing $60K. So personally my options would be limited if I wanted to pay $5K more for a used GT350 instead of waiting for the M1, but here's the link to it if someone is considering that option, maybe it's just what you're looking for:

https://www.diamondfordav.com/Vehic...Shelby_GT350_Fastback-Lancaster-CA/5060491610

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
So your argument is that you can "build it for less" by going the aftermarket route. Okay, but in the end what you have is a modified GT Mustang. 20 years from now, if you hold onto the car, you'll still be holding onto a Mustang GT. If that is what people want, then they will not be in the market for the Mach 1. So be it. But the argument that it the Mach1 is just a GT with a graphics package is disingenuous, at best.
It’s a build list. That’s all. Mach1 isn’t a big deal, it isn’t particularly special and they’re selling copies worldwide. Nice version on the GT, yes, but not anything more. If it didn’t have the tremec I couldn’t care less.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
It’s a build list. That’s all. Mach1 isn’t a big deal, it isn’t particularly special and they’re selling copies worldwide. Nice version on the GT, yes, but not anything more. If it didn’t have the tremec I couldn’t care less.
Personally PART of the reason I like it is because I was around for the 70’s Mach 1s and I like seeing the brand come back. But, I agree that the transmission would probably be the only big draw for anyone with a PP2 or a newer PP1 with Magneride.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Personally PART of the reason I like it is because I was around for the 70’s Mach 1s and I like seeing the brand come back. But, I agree that the transmission would probably be the only big draw for anyone with a PP2 or a newer PP1 with Magneride.
Even Bilstein B6 makes one hell of an argument for all around track/street performance.
Sponsored