Why the Mach1 is a rip off

SSSICK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 19 Z06, 20 Bolt EV, 10 Corolla LE
50k for a Mach 1 doesn’t seem too bad honestly but all the ones I’ve seen listed are around 60k on average which is getting close to Shelby price ranges. I never considered a Mach 1 but definitely a nice car!
Sponsored

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
I will start this with stating I don’t want to get drawn into the Mach 1 wars … lol

Custom pack two gets you a healthy discount on Recaro’s (£500 from memory).

That would make the GT cheaper than you quoted but more importantly, why not the same discount on the M1 ?

Initally my dealer missed the discount, I had to politely remind them when I was checking the figures … :like:

WD :like:
All done on the UK configurator. No Mach 1 wars here, if it's not for you then no worries.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
When one says it's the same "except" and then have to list 20 things, it's really not "the same." The cost argument is fine, except that "special" factory Mustangs since inception have not been a value compared to aftermarket DIY. (Full disclosure, I "may" be biased on that lol). I mean you can put a "-H" sticker on a on a 66 Shelby. But it's the factory one that sits in Jay Leno's garage. Just sayin... My gripe is no 69 style rear fender vents and the lack of real grill lights. Seems like no brainer adds on the Mach 1 that were missed. JMHO, carry on!

Last edited:

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I hope not because you’re spot on. The Mach 1 isn’t for every buyer. It’s exactly what Ford said it would be. That isn’t necessarily what some people wanted it to be and that’s unfortunate. But it’s priced where many of us expected it to come in at.
too many thought it was going to be a Shelby killer with a shaker hood and an msrp within $2k of a mustang gt. Where they got these ideas I don’t know but if you were paying attention to the reveal and the comments by Ford, the production car delivered as advertised. Except they forgot to put the black Mach emblems on mine:devil:
100% agree, Ford has been consistent with the purpose of the car and it's messaging about it. Even better is they are choosing proven bits from their line and addressing track deficiencies of the PP cars. Including the Tremec was a necessity at this price point, I know many people would agree here, without the Tremec, I just wouldn't be in M1 market, not a chance. MT82's hit and miss reliability is a known thing even outside the Mustang community. Personally I think the problems with MT82 have always been on the QA/QC of manufacturing side, the design is overall sound but production quality varies, especially when you put out the bid to a Chinese company.

Shelby GT 350 being discontinued for the 21 MY was not related to M1 at all, yet many people & media suddenly treating it as a replacement to GT350 was wrong. Ford never said that was M1's purpose and I never got the impression it was a replacement at all. Imagine if they ran in production concurrently for the same model year, I think a lot of this replacement talk wouldn't have materialized. The media loves to throw the words "replacement" & "alternative" for every new model even when it doesn't make sense. Not too mention drawing false equivalencies seem to be in fashion right now across the board for everything amongst the public.

M1 pricing over Bullitt is right where it should be using that as the barometer, which was in line with the most thoughtful estimates. Still, I hear ya 50K+ mustang is a lot of money, especially for a non-Shelby.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I think it's flattering that the M1 is even being discussed as having comparable (I DIDN'T SAY AS GOOD SO DON'T START FREAKING OUT) performance to the GT350, a car that since inception has been mostly lauded for being a fantastic driving machine.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's flattering that the M1 is even being discussed as having comparable (I DIDN'T SAY AS GOOD SO DON'T START FREAKING OUT) performance to the GT350, a car that since inception has been mostly lauded for being a fantastic driving machine.
the only notable difference between the GT350 and M1 is the engine. Everything else (fine other than the brakes and one of the knuckles) is the same. QED it's a replacement. It's also a replacement since it's priced the same as the GT350.

The pricing is why it is a 'rip-off'. There should be 10 grand in daylight between the two but there isn't.
The Tremec and MT82 are indistinguishable on price.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
the only notable difference between the GT350 and M1 is the engine. Everything else (fine other than the brakes and one of the knuckles) is the same. QED it's a replacement. It's also a replacement since it's priced the same as the GT350.

The pricing is why it is a 'rip-off'. There should be 10 grand in daylight between the two but there isn't.
Is there $10k in difference with respect to performance?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

I don't see how anyone can do an apples-to-apples price comparison since you could never buy both cars new in the same model year. Who's to say what Ford would be charging for a GT350 if they were selling them as 2021's?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Depends on what you're going to do with it. If your not going to track the car then no.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Ford still has the 2020 GT350 build and price active. I built one with tape stripe, handling package, heated and cooled seat with memory, and technology package to be similar to the Mach 1 Premium with HP that I ordered. MSRP of the 2020 GT350 is $65,475, the 2021 M1 is $59,010. Also from build and price, a 2020 GT Premium PP1 was $46,270, and a 2021 is $47,610. So add about $1,300 more as a rough estimate to the GT350 if it was a 2021. Now you're at about $7,800 more for a new GT350 over a new M1. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The $1300 is mostly Co-Pilot being baked into the cake. GT350 you couldn't get it. So the daylight is 7800-1000 or ~6800.

One can't buy a Voodoo crate motor, but the closest thing is the Aluminator (22,600) vs Coyote 3 (9,500) so 10 grand daylight should be the bare minimum. Brake differences should add almost 2 grand on their own.

Ford is wildly overcharging for the Mach1 in my book.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The $1300 is mostly Co-Pilot being baked into the cake. GT350 you couldn't get it. So the daylight is 7800-1000 or ~6800.

One can't buy a Voodoo crate motor, but the closest thing is the Aluminator (22,600) vs Coyote 3 (9,500) so 10 grand daylight should be the bare minimum. Brake differences should add almost 2 grand on their own.

...and we're back to the what's it worth to any individual buyer standoff.... not worth it to you but worth it to me. And nobody's right or wrong. I wouldn't want cosmetics if they were free but my wife is willing to spend lots of money on them.

But lots of people are willing to pay what they're asking for the Mach 1 so Ford's marketing folks have done their homework pretty well.

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
I personally wouldn't buy one, but that's just me. I mean, you aren't getting ripped off if you get what YOU want.
Why should you have to justify your decision to anyone ? At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is the buyer's :)

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'

You know that’s not really fair though. It doesn’t cost Ford that much for each engine. And fords cost for the difference in brakes is no where near $2k.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
And isn't that the ironic thing after all. We are talking about cars that have performance potential that is out of reach on most public roads, and certainly very far ahead of most driver's skillsets. Its a classy problem to have these days, the place on the performance spectrum where modern sports cars occupy, its almost hard to believe. As hard as I argue that cars are generally way too expensive now, they have gotten objectively better. I don't think there has ever been a better era for all around performance you can buy per dollar.

A very base GT is MSRP $36,000, negotiate at the right time and we are talking low 30s, damn that is a lot of power for the money. Before the used market got crazy buy one a couple of years old and an even better value.

This is a fun question, how much power is too much power for a daily driver / car operated on public roads N. America?

I'd say right around 500hp, somewhere in that 450hp -530hp range. Anything over 550 seems to me to be completely superfluous. Its one of the reasons why I don't know a damn thing about the GT500, good god what can you use that for? How much money?

Sacrilege for many I know.
Sponsored