Sponsored

Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
As far as I'm concerned being able to drive a manual trans. should be a requirement to get a drivers license (it was when that is all there was.) Just because you can aim a car and fire it doesn't mean you actually know how to drive it.
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As far as I'm concerned being able to drive a manual trans. should be a requirement to get a drivers license (it was when that is all there was.) Just because you can aim a car and fire it doesn't mean you actually know how to drive it.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning here. Obviously people had to learn manual transmissions when that's all there was, but I don't see how that means they still have to. Do we also need to require people learn to drive without power steering or power brakes to get their license? Because for a while, non-power-assisted steering and brakes were all there was. And just because someone knows how to shift gears doesn't mean they know how to drive properly.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning here. Obviously people had to learn manual transmissions when that's all there was, but I don't see how that means they still have to. Do we also need to require people learn to drive without power steering or power brakes to get their license? Because for a while, non-power-assisted steering and brakes were all there was. And just because someone knows how to shift gears doesn't mean they know how to drive properly.
The reasoning is it shouldn't be as easy as showing up and basically asking for a drivers license. You should be able to actually drive. An understanding of what everything on the car is and what it does wouldn't hurt either. As it is there are too many cars on the road now. They hand out licenses out like jelly beans all day long. Yet none ever get taken away. Say what you want about manual's but it point blank addresses the biggest problem on the road right now. Try calling everyone you know while driving a manual trans!

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
That's why there are so many bad drivers on the road because they can jump into an auto with very little experience or thinking

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Some butthurt manual fans in here.

a0883030ed0ad648f49a1ee86e72addc.jpg

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It's about not misrepresenting an article to suit your point, aka fake news. But keep with the nonsensical hyperbole about pulling your fingernails off.
ill-bet-youre.jpg

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The reasoning is it shouldn't be as easy as showing up and basically asking for a drivers license. You should be able to actually drive. An understanding of what everything on the car is and what it does wouldn't hurt either. As it is there are too many cars on the road now. They hand out licenses out like jelly beans all day long. Yet none ever get taken away. Say what you want about manual's but it point blank addresses the biggest problem on the road right now. Try calling everyone you know while driving a manual trans!
I agree that people should have to show knowledge and skill before being given a drivers' license, and should have periodic renewal testing, but that's not really part of the manual vs. automatic discussion.

You may have more faith in humanity than I do - driving a manual would make it more difficult to text, etc., while driving, but doesn't mean people wouldn't do it, and with shifting gears, they might be even less safe. I think it's a people problem, not a transmission problem.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
See, I think the ability or desire to hand-shift and clutch-engage a car is far from the most critical element in determining or describing "proper" driving ability and behavior. There is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to do manual-transmission driving even moderately well; however, such a capability can't even remotely be considered a prerequisite for skillfully and safely negotiating modern traffic in a modern car.

I do agree that acquiring a Driver License is way too easy. I'd like to see something like the British graded-license system incorporated in every state's vehicular universe.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I'll let you know if I'm happy after I take it to the dealer in a couple weeks. Below is the note I will be leaving with them when they look at it:

1. Harsh/clunking shifts: The downshift from 4th to 3rd is very harsh. This is not just a firm shift.– the car pulls back a bit and it often clunks. Most easily reproduced when coasting or lightly braking to a stop. Other downshifts are often abnormally hard.

2. Clunk/Lurch into Drive. Shifting from Park or Neutral to Drive, the car will clunk into gear harshly and lurches and jerks forward. Worse when engine is cold.

3. Harsh/Rough/Reluctant Downshifts: In higher gears at low rpm (below 1500), it is reluctant to downshift and will shudder, lug, and vibrate a bit instead of downshifting when trying to accelerate. A good example is slowing down when coming to a traffic light for example- It will hold 10th all the way down to 43 mph/ 1200 rpm, and if you then try to accelerate slowly at 45-48 mph or so (if the light turns green for example) it is reluctant to downshift shift and will shudder, lug and vibrate a bit. I have to mash or stab the pedal hard for it to downshift, and it is harsh and rough. Or just cruise at any higher gear at rpm below 1500 (40-45 mph} and try to slowly accelerate – it should occur then as well. It seems like the torque converter is reluctant to unlock.
1 and 3 are not normal - at least not on mine. The only time I have had a harsh downshift was when braking very hard in sport mode and even then it wasn't that bad. Normally changes are seamless on mine.
2 is inevitable to a certain extent as there is a load of torque that has to go somewhere. Smaller engines have much less torque at idle so don't have such a reaction when going into drive. When cold the initial idle speed is elevated so makes it all worse.

sed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I'll let you know if I'm happy after I take it to the dealer in a couple weeks. Below is the note I will be leaving with them when they look at it:

1. Harsh/clunking shifts: The downshift from 4th to 3rd is very harsh. This is not just a firm shift.– the car pulls back a bit and it often clunks. Most easily reproduced when coasting or lightly braking to a stop. Other downshifts are often abnormally hard.

2. Clunk/Lurch into Drive. Shifting from Park or Neutral to Drive, the car will clunk into gear harshly and lurches and jerks forward. Worse when engine is cold.

3. Harsh/Rough/Reluctant Downshifts: In higher gears at low rpm (below 1500), it is reluctant to downshift and will shudder, lug, and vibrate a bit instead of downshifting when trying to accelerate. A good example is slowing down when coming to a traffic light for example- It will hold 10th all the way down to 43 mph/ 1200 rpm, and if you then try to accelerate slowly at 45-48 mph or so (if the light turns green for example) it is reluctant to downshift shift and will shudder, lug and vibrate a bit. I have to mash or stab the pedal hard for it to downshift, and it is harsh and rough. Or just cruise at any higher gear at rpm below 1500 (40-45 mph} and try to slowly accelerate – it should occur then as well. It seems like the torque converter is reluctant to unlock.
Mine does this too! After multiple trips to the dealer they finally agreed to remove and tear my trans down. The found lots of metal shavings, scored valve bodies and burnt seals. It drove okay for a few hours and then reverted back to shit. I'd sell this POS if I wasn't so upside down on it!!!

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Mine does this too! After multiple trips to the dealer they finally agreed to remove and tear my trans down. The found lots of metal shavings, scored valve bodies and burnt seals. It drove okay for a few hours and then reverted back to shit. I'd sell this POS if I wasn't so upside down on it!!!
Did they ever update the software? Some people on these forums said that it made a difference. Are you saying that they repaired your tranny and the issues came back? What did they repair?

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP, 2014 Mercedes E550
Vehicle Showcase
no worries here, they will get it fix. they always do.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).
Its fantastic! A little quirky sometimes but man I love the 2 X 4 slam to the back of the head when it shifts.

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely not the smoothest transmission I've experienced and maybe 10 speeds is 2 too much, but I'm fine with it. I'm almost always in Sport + or Track mode.
Sponsored