Sponsored

Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I love it. I let it warm up a minute or two before driving to avoid harshness, but that went away after the first few thousand miles possibly due to letting the car warm up. I got an mbrp race exhaust the other day and hearing the shifts just adds to the experience.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
After a couple years with the A10, I have noticed it sometimes shifts slower in manual mode than the Porsche PDK. But, it's still faster than a manual transmission by a lot. I like the variety of modes. It keeps things interesting.

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
Without a question I am still happy.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Actually, I didn't mean to say the manual was better. I meant that after reading dozens of threads about how capricious and quirky the A10 is in all imaginable respects, I'm happy I avoided it. I'm not an MT bigot, I've driven some good automatics and really enjoyed them, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have enjoyed this particular one.

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I haven't had any issues with mine. I bought it new with 62 miles too. I think the MT82 has far more issues with the weak shift forks that I don't believe we're upgraded. I drove a 2013 manual 5.0 and it was so hard to put in gear looking back it just wasn't a good experience.

Guess I'm lucky to not have had any issues that some auto owner and about have of MT82 owners have had. If the bickering continues I hope mods shut this one down we are all team Mustang and I'd rather the trash talk not continue.

Just because you drive a manual doesn't make you a badass and the MT82 is not even known as a great feeling or reliable mt as it is. The 10R80 on the other hand is special especially the one we have Camaros have a taller ratio and I'm not too sure if people are putting shorter gears in them just yet.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I haven't had any issues with mine.
It's not necessarily about its issues, which I'm sure can be solved one way or the other, like the ones of the MT-82 can. I'm talking rather about its whole way of working, the jerky shifts, the hunting for gears (because there are too many of them to begin with), etc. That would have driven me mad.

Just because you drive a manual doesn't make you a badass
I know. I never said it does. :like:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Actually, I didn't mean to say the manual was better. I meant that after reading dozens of threads about how capricious and quirky the A10 is in all imaginable respects, I'm happy I avoided it. I'm not an MT bigot, I've driven some good automatics and really enjoyed them, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have enjoyed this particular one.

It's not necessarily about its issues, which I'm sure can be solved one way or the other, like the ones of the MT-82 can. I'm talking rather about its whole way of working, the jerky shifts, the hunting for gears (because there are too many of them to begin with), etc. That would have driven me mad.
It's not like the MT82 is the pinnacle of manual engineering, it's got its quirks too. Pretty sure I see more threads and complaints on that unit than the auto.

And if you've never driven one and you're basing your opinion solely on what you've read on a forum, it's not really an accurate method to determine whether or not you would have enjoyed it.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not like the MT82 is the pinnacle of manual engineering, it's got its quirks too. Pretty sure I see more threads and complaints on that unit than the auto.
Yes, but those are complaints about mechanical issues, which can be solved. Whereas when a newcomer says for instance "I've got an A10 and it's a bit jerky in Sport", the reply is usually "that's how these gearboxes work, it's normal, just ignore it and have fun".
And it's true. It is indeed normal, given its modern design.

And if you've never driven one and you're basing your opinion solely on what you've read on a forum, it's not really an accurate method to determine whether or not you would have enjoyed it.
Fair enough. But still, I'm glad I didn't take the risk.
Besides, I know what I like, I know how I want a gearbox to behave. Knowing me, knowing my expectations, and knowing how the A10 is designed to work, I think the chances of me not liking it would have been pretty high.
I could be mistaken, of course. I could be missing out on something really fantastic. If that's the case, so be it. My loss.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's true. And it goes both ways, in the sense that my MT-82 seems to be absolutely perfect despite its reputation, including butter-smooth from second to third at any rpm. So I see your point. :like:
Now, if I could get rid of those incredibly annoying C-pillar and dashboard rattles... I don't know what's more annoying, but if I were given the chance to trade those rattles for an occasional third gear lockout, I might be tempted to accept the offer. :giggle:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's true. And it goes both ways, in the sense that my MT-82 seems to be absolutely perfect despite its reputation, including butter-smooth from second to third at any rpm. So I see your point. :like:
Now, if I could get rid of those incredibly annoying C-pillar and dashboard rattles... I don't know what's more annoying, but if I were given the chance to trade those rattles for an occasional third gear lockout, I might be tempted to accept the offer. :giggle:
I'm also gifted with a buttery MT-82. I actually REALLY enjoy it. I mean, it's not TR6060, but it's damn nice for what it is and how much I paid for it with a car stapled to it.

I've heard some people complain that the A10 is "jerky" and "indecisive", but I'm sure most of them aren't. I mean, an automatic will never be able to read your mind, but once the A10 enters boogie mode there's no stopping that thing, especially in drag mode lol. It's a very impressive unit. In an ideal world I'd have an A10 GT for daily driving, and a manual GT350 for fun drives only, but I'm too poor for such things. Manual GT feels like GT350 Lite in some respects so I'm happy with it. But I know for a fact I'd be pretty happy with an A10 GT as well.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Are your trying to say it's possible to enjoy something without absolutely dumping on the alternatives :giggle:
Of course not, the manual man must shout to the heavens about how inferior auto boys are. I apologize for my moment of weakness and rationality.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes, but those are complaints about mechanical issues, which can be solved. Whereas when a newcomer says for instance "I've got an A10 and it's a bit jerky in Sport", the reply is usually "that's how these gearboxes work, it's normal, just ignore it and have fun".
The MT82 issues are also due to mechanical issues in the shifter/clutch/internals of the unit. And at the same time, the issues with the A10 can also be solved.

Both units have their flaws, and both units can be improved.
Sponsored