Sponsored

Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
More likely to be the user, don't blame the transmission if you find three pedals too difficult or clutch too heavy.

Great hyperbole though on this thread, keep it up!
I've owned three Terminator Cobras with 900+ horsepower on Spec 4 clutches kiddo. Driving those was like the leg press at the gym. Never an issue.

Maybe I could blame the cheap Chinese-made, remote-shifter garbage that is the MT-82 since it is the ONLY manual trans that has ever given me issues, and I've had GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and the list goes on.

You can say what you want, but just Google "Mustang MT-82 Transmission Issues" and see what you find.

Nevermind, here.....I'll do it for you:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/mt-82-transmission-problems-545701/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/another-mt-82-bites-dust-12-boss-302-a-507684/

https://www.americanmuscle.com/s550-mustang-mt-82-transmission-explained.html

I especially like that last one, where the FIRST LINE says: "Since its debut in 2011, Mustangs have had nothing but trouble with the trans."

Yeah, I'm sure as a Mustang parts vendor, they really have a grudge against the car. :facepalm:

I'll also include this bit:

"2011 brought the new 5.0L Coyote Mustang to the market, as well as a new 6-speed manual transmission, the Getrag MT-82. Unfortunately, response to the MT-82 was not all that great. Hard shifting, missed shifts, screws backing out, weird clutch feel – these are all problems that plagued the MT-82 upon first arrival. It got to the point where the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) stepped in and opened an investigation into the matter (which they later dropped). It definitely was not the response from the public that Ford was after."

User error my backside.
Sponsored

Solteka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wai
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 10A
I’ve ordered a 19 GT premium, PP1, Roush Stage 1 with the 10R80 10 speed auto. I’ve recently been reading about unhappy auto owners regarding heavy clunking downshifts, hesitation while hunting for gears and lurching between park and reverse. I need an auto as it’s a DD and age ( I’m 67) so a switch to a 6 speed is not in the cards. QUESTION: are you all who have a new 10 speed OVERALL happy with your purchase and if so, why (please be honest).

I love the 10R80 in my 18 Ecoboost Mustang, the car really does a fine job of shifting gear smoothly (except during cold temps and low speed); so much so that I rarely use the paddles and would usually let the car shift itself. The paddle mode in Sport is great and responsive but I average in the low 20 mpg to mid 10 mpg driving in my local streets that way. Most of the time when I drive the car the gear selector is in D mode.

My car is the base car with the base engine so there is only P,R,N,D, and S modes on the transmission. At drag strips I put the car in S mode and let the machine work the gears.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

I especially like that last one, where the FIRST LINE says: "Since its debut in 2011, Mustangs have had nothing but trouble with the trans."

How about quoting the whole article from American Muscle, not a tiny segment so as to take it out of context:

"– yes, the new Getrag MT-82 is fundamentally the same as the old Getrag MT-82. Does this mean the transmission is still full of all those problems and should be avoided like the plague? No, it does not.

Over the years, Ford has quietly rolled out small updates and improvements to fix the problems owners were encountering. Instead of making any major revisions or changes, Ford took the 21st century route and applied a micro-update approach. The first few years involved changes with bolt types, clutch springs, gear finishes and oil viscosities. There were no major teardowns, revisions or replacements. The MT-82 deep down is a solid transmission"[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Everybody has their preferences, and all transmissions have good and bad points, and I think the trick is to find the one that does what you want and whose flaws you can live with most easily.

Like others here, I'd own one of each if I could, but the A10 checked off the most boxes for me: It offers generally better performance, it allows for easier driving in traffic, makes it more accessible to other drivers if needed, and still has a certain amount of driver control.

On that last note, as I've said earlier, the more I change my thinking, the more I use the paddles, etc. I think I just drove it like any other auto for a while, and never changed my mindset to use the controls more. I've used the paddles on twisty roads where there's constant braking and accelerating, and it's great, but now I use them for general driving (not in S constantly, just using the paddles in D more), and I feel like I have a lot more control. It does pretty well on it's own, but there are just those times where I want to tell it to do something rather than wait for it to figure it out. The more I do that, the more I'm liking it.

Sponsored

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just traded in my FBO E85 CJ M6 PP1 18 on a premium 19 A10. I can say after driving manuals pretty much all my life I am having fun in this car and don't miss my 18. I have big plans for the A10 as I'll be doing a gen 5 Whipple in the next two months or so. Liking it so far and no regrets

Meanbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium, 1978 f150 ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven many different manual vehicles, and although I love manuals, this match up with the auto n coyote is insane. I've always dreamt about paddle shifts as a kid looking at the supercar posters. Now that I have them it is just as imagined. The sport mode is awesome, caught me off gaurd a bit as didn't know it rev shifts for you, so that was a fun surprise. It does get a bit old in traffic, as regular drive can be a bit boring n sport seems a bit much for daily driving. Overall though I like the fun factor it gives. If I dare I even let my wife drive it, n she has a blast as well.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I ordered my new 2020 GT with the A-10. I hope its as good as you guys say. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
It's not, we all got together offline and agreed, "Let's f*** with Ed ..."

P.S., we all actually drive manuals :D

Well, then... Just remember this time and how happy you think you are now. Flipping a switch for an instant shift kit is friggin' awesome...
Yes, being able to switch on-the-fly between D and S mode via the console shifter is a blast. My car is tuned so the transmission in sport mode feels even crazier, but slip it into D, and it might as well be a Lexus :D

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

How about quoting the whole article from American Muscle, not a tiny segment so as to take it out of context:

"– yes, the new Getrag MT-82 is fundamentally the same as the old Getrag MT-82. Does this mean the transmission is still full of all those problems and should be avoided like the plague? No, it does not.

Over the years, Ford has quietly rolled out small updates and improvements to fix the problems owners were encountering. Instead of making any major revisions or changes, Ford took the 21st century route and applied a micro-update approach. The first few years involved changes with bolt types, clutch springs, gear finishes and oil viscosities. There were no major teardowns, revisions or replacements. The MT-82 deep down is a solid transmission"
No need to try and justify your purchase. if you like it, it's your money and you are entitled to your opinion.

Just like I'm entitled to mine, which is that I would rather pull my fingernails off than ever own that POS trans again.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's about not misrepresenting an article to suit your point, aka fake news. But keep with the nonsensical hyperbole about pulling your fingernails off.

Sponsored

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
I love the A10. Nearly all of my past "fun" cars were manual. Decided to get the A10 because of getting-old issues. I don't regret it one bit. It's a blast to drive in D, and when I want a bit more visceral experience, Sport+ scratches that itch.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I had the A10 in a 2018 F150. WORST transmission I ever had. You could feel every shift, and not in a good way. Got rid of it after 6 months. All of my sports cars have always been manuals and will always be. I'm 65 goin on 66 and wouldn't ever consider an auto in a sports/muscle car. But this is just my opinion.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good on you, im in my thirties and thought it was the oldies with the dodgy hips that were increasing the sales of the autos

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I'll let you know if I'm happy after I take it to the dealer in a couple weeks. Below is the note I will be leaving with them when they look at it:

1. Harsh/clunking shifts: The downshift from 4th to 3rd is very harsh. This is not just a firm shift.– the car pulls back a bit and it often clunks. Most easily reproduced when coasting or lightly braking to a stop. Other downshifts are often abnormally hard.

2. Clunk/Lurch into Drive. Shifting from Park or Neutral to Drive, the car will clunk into gear harshly and lurches and jerks forward. Worse when engine is cold.

3. Harsh/Rough/Reluctant Downshifts: In higher gears at low rpm (below 1500), it is reluctant to downshift and will shudder, lug, and vibrate a bit instead of downshifting when trying to accelerate. A good example is slowing down when coming to a traffic light for example- It will hold 10th all the way down to 43 mph/ 1200 rpm, and if you then try to accelerate slowly at 45-48 mph or so (if the light turns green for example) it is reluctant to downshift shift and will shudder, lug and vibrate a bit. I have to mash or stab the pedal hard for it to downshift, and it is harsh and rough. Or just cruise at any higher gear at rpm below 1500 (40-45 mph} and try to slowly accelerate – it should occur then as well. It seems like the torque converter is reluctant to unlock.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Good on you, im in my thirties and thought it was the oldies with the dodgy hips that were increasing the sales of the autos
You can at least put partial blame on us oldies, at least in the North American market. But maybe not so much for the physical reasons.

I suspect it's been a progressive thing over the generations, with the baby boomer generation (mine) being the first to see automatics becoming popular with our parents before we even started to drive. We were conditioned to some extent by that to accept the automatic at a somewhat younger age than our parents (who had no such exposure). Our children (GenX), would have seen still wider acceptance of the automatic, and had less opportunity to see a MT car in normal daily use.

Fast-forward to the latest driving generations and I'd be willing to bet that most millenials and the older GenZ's in the USA have had little or no exposure to riding in a MT car, so they've unwittingly been programmed to think almost entirely in terms of cars normally having just automatics (it's just how you have to drive a car). My oldest granddaughter (22) drives stick, and actively prefers to, but she's probably one of the exceptions within her age group.

Norm
Sponsored