Sponsored

Drain plug leak

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Only 8,300 miles, and the Bullitt started marking its territory on the garage floor :frown: Put it on the lift; it was clear it was the damn yellow plastic drain plug. Ford doesn't offer the O-ring through retail parts, so ordered a new ass'y, Ford p/n KX6Z-6730-B Since I'd just changed the oil less than 1,000 miles ago, I wasn't keen on draining and replacing 10 qts of 5W-20. Happy to report a "hot swap" of the drain plug can be done, and less than a pint was lost. But, you need to be quick and work two-handed. Felt like the Dutch Boy, as my left thumb was perfect to plug the leak while I was at the ready with the new plug in my right hand. Whatever happened to threaded steel drain plugs? My BMW 440 has a composite pan, but they chose to mold in a steel insert and utilize a conventional steel plug with a soft aluminum crush washer.

I didn't have the guts to use a Buna or EPDM O-ring from NAPA or Ace Hardware...
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Did you replace the drain plug during your oil change? Ford technicians are instructed to throw away and replace the drain plug with every oil change. This is likely why.

I went with a Ronin drain plug. Overkill and overpriced but it works great.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Did you replace the drain plug during your oil change? Ford technicians are instructed to throw away and replace the drain plug with every oil change. This is likely why.
Yep, new plug last oil change per Ford recommendations. It had a black O-ring; the new one has a green O-ring. Not going through this again; will find something else for a plug. At a minimum, Ford should have employed a two ring design in the unlikely (?) event one failed.

Ford 6.7 Powerstroke drain plug has 2 seals:

attachment.jpg

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yep, new plug last oil change per Ford recommendations. It had a black O-ring; the new one has a green O-ring. Not going through this again; will find something else for a plug. At a minimum, Ford should have employed a two ring design in the unlikely (?) event one failed.

Ford 6.7 Powerstroke drain plug has 2 seals:

attachment.jpg
I have only seen green O rings. Maybe you got a fake? I also agree 2 seals would have been a better design.

Sponsored

Graemecdn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2018 Lexus RC 350
CJ Pony has magnetic steel drain plugs for a Mustang.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep, new plug last oil change per Ford recommendations. It had a black O-ring
You probably got conned by an eBay vendor too; the same thing happened to me, but fortunately, no leak. Until I went back and read the fine print, it said 'OEM type'; SOBs. It was a 'Dorman', I think. I found a legitimate Ford parts dealer, and bought the one for GT350s, which have a square hole (for a 3/8" ratchet)... and a green O-ring. Ford should just sell the O-rings; no need to throw away the plug with just one oil change, but without proper O-ring replacements, that's what is the safe way to go.

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
if you're able to locate o-rings, you need to make sure you never use EPDM/EPR.
Hydrocarbon based oils will chew those up quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
if you're able to locate o-rings, you need to make sure you never use EPDM/EPR.

Amen! I suspected, and confirmed the O-rings are Viton; I just need to determine the Shore spec and I can easily source these. Fluoro-silicone would also work in this static application, but since Ford specs Viton I'll stick with it.

The green fooled me; most Viton is sort of a dirty brown color.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Amen! I suspected, and confirmed the O-rings are Viton; I just need to determine the Shore spec and I can easily source these. Fluoro-silicone would also work in this static application, but since Ford specs Viton I'll stick with it.

The green fooled me; most Viton is sort of a dirty brown color.
Viton (FFKM) is the brand name from Parker Ind. its typically 75ish shore. since many manufactures produce it can be found in different colors. Ive seen Reds, browns, Green, Black in my work.

Its cheap as hell and can be found anywhere.

There are other FFKM brings with a harder shore but there is no need in this simple application.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
Viton (FFKM) is the brand name from Parker Ind. its typically 75ish shore. since many manufactures produce it can be found in different colors. Ive seen Reds, browns, Green, Black in my work.

Its cheap as hell and can be found anywhere.

There are other FFKM brings with a harder shore but there is no need in this simple application.
I was going to guess 70 Shore, so thank you for saving me trying to work with our "Covid Displaced Lab"

I'm going to order a few samples in 70, 75 and 80 Shore :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Very nicely built, but the Ronin uses three O-rings, so from my perspective it's 3 opportunities to leak.
The big difference is that once installed, you never remove the valve. All you do is use the supplied adapter to activate it and out comes the oil. Your plastic pan doesn't get worn from removal and replacement of the plug either. Zero leaks thus far. I'm sure replacing the $10 plug each change will also work just fine for the lifetime of the vehicle. 8 oil changes and the valve pays for itself.
Sponsored