Sponsored

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 instead of MPS4S- will I be disappointed?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Putting 600+hp through two drive wheels in a F/R layout is going to be a major challenge...so I don't doubt one bit that R888R or a drag radial may be your best bet for actually using that power. Any 300+ treadwear summer compound tire like these Indy 500s or MPS4S, etc will probably never cut it.
This 100%...people often have ridiculous expectations of street summer tires.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Putting 600+hp through two drive wheels in a F/R layout is going to be a major challenge...so I don't doubt one bit that R888R or a drag radial may be your best bet for actually using that power. Any 300+ treadwear summer compound tire like these Indy 500s or MPS4S, etc will probably never cut it.

My dad has a 2007 GT500 with some basic upgrades. BMR suspension stuff, updated/lighter OEM balancer and some other weight reduction stuff, cold air intake/tune and 305/35/19 MPSS tires. Though it hasn't been on a dyno, the tune supposedly gets the output near 500rwhp which seems about right. I can tell you that those Michelins aren't nearly enough for even that power level.

So yeah. If I was boosting, I would recommend the absolute stickiest/widest possible tire at all four corners...and budget ~$1500 every 8-10k miles to replace them. That's just the cost of having supercar level performance IMO.
yeah right now from a dig I get embarrassed by pretty much anything and I’m only at 650 or so. So I stick to roll racing until throw new tires on which I will be pretty soon.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
yeah right now from a dig I get embarrassed by pretty much anything and I’m only at 650 or so. So I stick to roll racing until throw new tires on which I will be pretty soon.
LOL... that's the worst, right?

I've been spanked off the line by a stock WRX between stoplights. No doubt that guy bragged to his buddies about beating a Coyote Mustang. Of course, given another hundred yards, I would have gapped him but that doesn't count.

When I eventually bought my own WRX as a winter car, I realized that you could rev it up and basically sidestep the clutch and come out of the hole like a rocket. 0 skill required :D

Traction is a wonderful thing.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

I've been spanked off the line by a stock WRX between stoplights. No doubt that guy bragged to his buddies about beating a Coyote Mustang. Of course, given another hundred yards, I would have gapped him but that doesn't count.

When I eventually bought my own WRX as a winter car, I realized that you could rev it up and basically sidestep the clutch and come out of the hole like a rocket. 0 skill required :D

yes... I just got spanked by a old SS. Don't get me wrong it was a beast but he shouldn't have gotten me. I know this because a buddy with the exact same power, A10, tune, SC kit, and etc.. ate him for lunch last year. We have a popular spot at a light here where it's concrete and we all line up and can usually actually launch. I could not. I spun and torque management kicked at the gear change and killed power.. My girl actually said "was I supposed to get out and push?" :crackup:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
So true. I absolutely don't do any dig running. Fortunately, the Corvette and WRX are at one of my households and the Mustang is at the other, or I could see myself conducting comparison tests all the time :).

There is one thing that I do wish was available here that we have yearly in Colorado. It is called Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack. The airport dedicates a runway to support a half-mile race event.

Sponsored

Wraith272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I ran both MPSS and Firehawk Indy 500's on my last S550. The Indy 500's seemed to do equally well in the rain and worked to colder temps without getting too slidey, at the cost of a tiny amount of grip when dry and warm out. Living in the Seattle area and never tracking the car, I preferred the Indy 500's due to price and the ability to drive them in a wider temperature range. Have not tried MPS4S yet though

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I am one of those that have tried different brands depending on the car. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are definitely good tires. Not everyone is willing to pay the price and are ok with giving up a little grip. I haven't tried the Indy 500's but look to be a good alternative for those looking at a decent price. I never hear of anyone on here mention the Mickey Thompson Street Comps. .. not to be confused with the Street ETs which are not good in the rain. If you roll into the power on the Street Comps they are good, which is ok for some people and they do handle well in the wet. You absolutely can not go full throttle on them from the dig without a lot of wheel spin. I think they are cheaper than the Indy's as an option.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am one of those that have tried different brands depending on the car. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are definitely good tires. Not everyone is willing to pay the price and are ok with giving up a little grip. I haven't tried the Indy 500's but look to be a good alternative for those looking at a decent price. I never hear of anyone on here mention the Mickey Thompson Street Comps. .. not to be confused with the Street ETs which are not good in the rain. If you roll into the power on the Street Comps they are good, which is ok for some people and they do handle well in the wet. You absolutely can not go full throttle on them from the dig without a lot of wheel spin. I think they are cheaper than the Indy's as an option.
Continental extreme contact sport is another high performance car tire With very good traction that are about $60 a tire cheaper than the mps4s’s. They’re what I’ll be putting back on my car since I have a free set laying around that came on my Roush.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Those are the tires I got. Haven't driven but a few miles due to needing an ALIGHNMENT.

IMG_20210322_144504771_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210322_144451181_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210322_144437720_HDR.jpg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I'm leaning towards either the Conti or the MPS4S for my tire change.

Continental extreme contact sport is another high performance car tire With very good traction that are about $60 a tire cheaper than the mps4s’s. They’re what I’ll be putting back on my car since I have a free set laying around that came on my Roush.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Indy 500 for the win. Give up a little traction for half the price.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Tiiiiiiiiiiiiire pressure people.

Dont be whining you cant hook at 35 psi LOL!!

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Stock PP1 MP4s are even pretty decent down to 28 psi

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaning towards either the Conti or the MPS4S for my tire change.
Surprised with your power you're not looking at the Nitto 555Rii's all the Roush guys are raving about.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I have considered them but don't know if I really like the matching Nitto G2 for the front.

Surprised with your power you're not looking at the Nitto 555Rii's all the Roush guys are raving about.
Sponsored