GT350 Wheels (Project-6GR)

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
8500 miles on my Project 6GR Seven's and I haven't had any rock issues at all. Not much less clearance than the factory wheels to be honest. To me it all depends on your budget. At the time I could have either gone with a set of 19" signature wheels, or get the Project 6GR's and get the car restriped, locked down with Steeda bracing, lowered and tightened with the Ford Racing springs and Swaybars, and do a number of other interior and exterior touches to make my car stand out.

I also was a big fan of the super deep concave faces front and rear on the Project 6GR R-Spec wheels so that's the way I went. I do want to change up the lugnuts on mine to a different design, but otherwise very happy with the satin black finish and even re-striped my car in satin black stripes to match the wheels.

Caliper spacing and side profile
49154994563_16452779dc_o.jpg

You can really see the concavity front and rear in this picture
49281236041_0d6988473f_o.jpg

Another pic showing the concavity prior to me re-striping the car
splitters by Kyle Mavis, on Flickr

I also liked having the ability to switch back to the Ford center caps as the red logo center caps that the wheels came with clashed with my car.
49229192488_e9da292306_o.jpg
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The caliper clearance issue will become a problem sooner or later. I ran all year long with a set of a signature wheels and had no scratches. 2 days on the 6GRs and my calipers looked like this.

20181119_221753.jpg
20181119_221908.jpg

The Signature wheels have 1/2in of clearance between the caliper and the barrel. The OEM wheels are about 1/4in. 6GRs are about a credit card

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
In fairness though, calipers are way cheaper than wheels! haha

Mine don't look nearly that bad running 6gr, but def is a risk!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The caliper clearance issue will become a problem sooner or later. I ran all year long with a set of a signature wheels and had no scratches. 2 days on the 6GRs and my calipers looked like this.

20181119_221753.jpg
20181119_221908.jpg

The Signature wheels have 1/2in of clearance between the caliper and the barrel. The OEM wheels are about 1/4in. 6GRs are about a credit card
Credit schmedit. Both of my carbon fiber wheels are now scratched from rocks getting stuck there between the caliper and wheel. Not one, but both fronts.... So the oem spacing is also not ideal, what do you expect from a 1600 a set ? At least they are rock solid wheels and can be tracked (I have)...
There are compromises of course.. you know the saying: A car can be: fast, cheap, reliable. You can pick any of the 2...

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

20181119_221753.jpg
20181119_221908.jpg

That's terrible luck. Again I've driving mine on North Atlanta Metro city streets and the north Georgia mountain roads for over a year and 8,000 miles and have 0 damage. I'm not saying the potential isn't there, but I've seen the gravel issue with stock wheels and other 19" aftermarket units. Moving to 20" wheels seems to be the only surefire way to eliminate the potential for this to happen.

That being said I still would gladly own a set of SIgnature wheels if the budget allowed it.

Sponsored

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
Holy........

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

20181119_221753.jpg
20181119_221908.jpg

tenor.gif

Yeah a credit card isn't enough clearance. 3 credit cards has always been my rule or about 2.5mm. Brembo recommends 3mm at least for both barrel to caliper clearance and wheel spoke to caliper face clearance. To be fair, the 2011 - 2014 cars with Brembo brakes only had 2mm with stock wheels.

I had a set of Forgestar wheels with about 2mm clearance spoke to caliper face clearance in the rear wheels. I ran a custom 1/16" spacer just to be safe.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350

20181119_221753.jpg
20181119_221908.jpg

curious, was this on hoosiers? I almost wonder if you just had more deflection in the wheel with slicks maybe? did the barrel of the wheel look as bad?

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Credit schmedit. Both of my carbon fiber wheels are now scratched from rocks getting stuck there between the caliper and wheel. Not one, but both fronts.... So the oem spacing is also not ideal, what do you expect from a 1600 a set ? At least they are rock solid wheels and can be tracked (I have)...
There are compromises of course.. you know the saying: A car can be: fast, cheap, reliable. You can pick any of the 2...
No arguments if folks don't mind the scratches. Hell, I don't. Just wanted to make sure the air is clear. The 6GRs WILL cause issues eventually. It's part of the deal. If that's no problem for you, awesome. But important that we don't hide the problem as a community.

That's terrible luck. Again I've driving mine on North Atlanta Metro city streets and the north Georgia mountain roads for over a year and 8,000 miles and have 0 damage. I'm not saying the potential isn't there, but I've seen the gravel issue with stock wheels and other 19" aftermarket units. Moving to 20" wheels seems to be the only surefire way to eliminate the potential for this to happen.

That being said I still would gladly own a set of SIgnature wheels if the budget allowed it.
They've done it to me twice. My original calipers were also scratched. No way around it given enough time or the right weather/conditions. It mostly superficial, so will depend on one's tolerance to wear and tear, IMHO. No harm, no foul for me, though.

FWIW, the Signature Wheels in 19x11 have given me zero issues. Just a couple rubber marks.

curious, was this on hoosiers? I almost wonder if you just had more deflection in the wheel with slicks maybe? did the barrel of the wheel look as bad?
Nope. MPSS during winter/rain days before I moved to proper wets. And barrels are scraped, too. I'll grab some pics this weekend.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
8500 miles on my Project 6GR Seven's and I haven't had any rock issues at all. Not much less clearance than the factory wheels to be honest. To me it all depends on your budget. At the time I could have either gone with a set of 19" signature wheels, or get the Project 6GR's and get the car restriped, locked down with Steeda bracing, lowered and tightened with the Ford Racing springs and Swaybars, and do a number of other interior and exterior touches to make my car stand out.

I also was a big fan of the super deep concave faces front and rear on the Project 6GR R-Spec wheels so that's the way I went. I do want to change up the lugnuts on mine to a different design, but otherwise very happy with the satin black finish and even re-striped my car in satin black stripes to match the wheels.

Caliper spacing and side profile
49154994563_16452779dc_o.jpg

You can really see the concavity front and rear in this picture
49281236041_0d6988473f_o.jpg

Another pic showing the concavity prior to me re-striping the car
splitters by Kyle Mavis, on Flickr

I also liked having the ability to switch back to the Ford center caps as the red logo center caps that the wheels came with clashed with my car.
49229192488_e9da292306_o.jpg
seeing the pics of the wheels on your car is what helped me decide to get the 6GR Seven wheels.
I also love the concave look they bring.

I was a little misinformed though, I thought they helped alleviate the caliper clearance issues.

I don’t like spending a lot of money on wheels. I’d rather put the money towards going faster, stopping shorter. But I’m concerned about the caliper clearance.

Just last week I had my new Michelin PSP 4s installed on my 6R sevens !!! Guess it’s too late now to look for a set with more caliper clearance.

Ellpolo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elliotn
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350R
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead.... But is it not possible to run a front 25MM spacer with the 6gr's for a 350r? The R has the longer studs from the factory. Just asking! Thanks all

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead.... But is it not possible to run a front 25MM spacer with the 6gr's for a 350r? The R has the longer studs from the factory. Just asking! Thanks all
Would you be going this to address the brake caliper clearance??
if yes, the spacers will not help with caliper clearance. The issue is with clearance with the barrel of the wheel (the inside) if that makes sense.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The issue isn't clearance between the face of the caliper and the spokes, If it was the spacer would help. The issue is the gap between the barrel and the "top" of the calipers.

That being said I'm now at 13,000 miles and 0 issues with rock damage. My mileage is a mix of commuting from the north Atlanta suburbs into the outer perimeter area and hard mountain driving in the north Georgia mountains.

Also upgraded the tires to 305/325 Michelin PS4S. The wider tires fit the wheels better than the previous 295/305 combo and has made me fall in love with the heavy concave all over again.

I've seen multiple friends with Signature wheels and they're all works of art, but nothing else comes close to matching the insane concavity of the Project6GR Seven's that I've seen.

50744378173_544c2f5164_o.jpg

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sufferinsuckastash.......I'm glad that this post has been reborn. I had no idea about the clearance issue with the Project 6 wheels. I ordered the R-spec 5. Since I'm still waiting on them being shipped, do I take my chances or cancel the order? Florida roads are horrible for pea gravel roads. I really liked the look of the 5 spoke wheels they offer. I must be cheap because I thought 1860 is expensive lol. I know @Tomster gives it straight so I take his word for it. @honeybadger as well.

Why can't anything be simple dagnabit!!!!!!
If you fit into 1 of 3 categories below, I'd skip them. If none of these sounds like you, run them.

1. You're meticulous and hate scratches, dents, chips, etc. and you're likely to drive your car in non-ideal conditions (rain, in the mountains, etc.).

2. If you track your car and hate chips, scratches, dents. Take these on track and they absolutely will leave scratches (maybe not the first time, but eventually).

3. You don't like poor design and it'll always bother you that someone doesn't give a shit about undersized lug holes or caliper clearance and then proceeds to tell everyone it's not an issue despite the proof.

(can you tell which one I fit into?)
Sponsored