Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
It's up to the dyno operator to make the corrections for driveline losses. I think that the trends you see are the result of people operating under the assumption of far larger driveline losses than are actually present. If you adjust for 20%+ losses (old school drivelines) vs. the actual ~12-15% (modern efficient driveline) it's going to look like the manufacturer "underrated" the engine. You can also run the same car on different types of dyno, or even just different brands, and get a different result. There's just too many variables that can't be or aren't properly controlled when getting chassis dyno numbers. The only real dyno measurement you can trust is an engine dyno, run using the SAE standards for testing. Those numbers need to be accurately published within a 1% margin of error.
The one time I had my Mini on a dyno, all I could think about was all the fail videos I've seen. A lot of forces at work there. Almost like a stampede of horses...

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I was seriously considering getting rid of the Mustang as it was clearly inferior car for the purposes of driving.
Inferior how? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what you have in mind.

Also, I just looked into what the 2SS adds over the 1SS, and I think I would need the 2SS for the Camaro to have all the features I want to make it equivalent to a GT Premium (heated/cooled seats, dual zone climate, rearview camera, power/memory seats). So that's gonna bring the price up a healthy amount...

yep! it stays on constantly. You can turn it off to be a regular mirror if you want as well of course. although i havent turned it off a single time yet.

Ill try to get a picture of it later today if i remember.

It increases field of view behind you very well. It tripped me out for about 5 mins but after that i fell in love with it. It combined with my side mirrors i wouldnt say i have any blind spots. The camera for it is mounted in the antenna on top of the roof so i feel its a pretty good location for being able to see everything. You can also zoom in and out on the camera to fit your needs better.
Hmm... I hope I can find a manual V8 Camaro in 2SS trim to test drive and try that experience out for myself. I'll have to try to do that before I get a Mach 1.

I feel like the styling and sound will still make it a tough sell, and the GT premium is just so damn comfortable for a sports car, too (and with an a slightly more usable back seat, too). But the prospect of saving that much money on an otherwise equivalent car would be tempting. Especially if I really enjoy the drive.

EDIT: I just played with the 2021 Camaro builder, and it looks like it'd be almost exactly $50K with the options I want. Probably only about $5-6K less than a properly configured Mach 1 before incentives/price negotiation, which I'm sure would be better for the Camaro.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
and yet it has ALL of the good stuff from the vette for 20 grand less.
C7 vs maro differences I know of off....

1. Corvette has a higher top end hp model that is higher than the maro. Unlike Mustang (production cars here)
2. Corvette has a rear mounted tranny (Think high end front engine Ferrari, like 812) and rear mounted heat exchangers (some models) for better weight distribution.
3. Corvette uses a different automatic due to it being rear mounted.
4. Corvette transfers power directly from the tranny to the differential. Whereas the maro uses a traditional approach engine-tranny (with drive shaft)-rear diff.
5. Obviously lighter

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Inferior how? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what you have in mind.

Also, I just looked into what the 2SS adds over the 1SS, and I think I would need the 2SS for the Camaro to have all the features I want to make it equivalent to a GT Premium (heated/cooled seats, dual zone climate, rearview camera, power/memory seats). So that's gonna bring the price up a healthy amount...

Hmm... I hope I can find a manual V8 Camaro in 2SS trim to test drive and try that experience out for myself. I'll have to try to do that before I get a Mach 1.

I feel like the styling and sound will still make it a tough sell, and the GT premium is just so damn comfortable for a sports car, too (and with an a slightly more usable back seat, too). But the prospect of saving that much money on an otherwise equivalent car would be tempting. Especially if I really enjoy the drive.

EDIT: I just played with the 2021 Camaro builder, and it looks like it'd be almost exactly $50K with the options I want. Probably only about $5-6K less than a properly configured Mach 1 before incentives/price negotiation, which I'm sure would be better for the Camaro.
definitely suggest trying it out! i was waiting on the mach 1 as well but decided to check out the camaro again and glad i did.

If i may, i would suggest looking at the 2ss 1le if you can find one around you. My 2ss 1le was ~51k msrp and i got it for right at 45.5k + TTL. If you are spending that much on the 2ss you might as well get the 1le package as it comes with more. Chevy also sometimes does a $2k rebate for people leaving a mustang, FWIW.

Speaking to styling..i know im biased..but i think the newest camaro looks nice. Especially with the 1le package

Screenshot_20210121-095928_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210121-095952_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
definitely suggest trying it out! i was waiting on the mach 1 as well but decided to check out the camaro again and glad i did.

If i may, i would suggest looking at the 2ss 1le if you can find one around you. My 2ss 1le was ~51k msrp and i got it for right at 45.5k + TTL. If you are spending that much on the 2ss you might as well get the 1le package as it comes with more. Chevy also sometimes does a $2k rebate for people leaving a mustang, FWIW.
Yep, 2SS + 1LE is exactly what I had, plus that lime green color (and was considering a couple small add-ons). I do like the simplicity of those options, too, heh.

And cool on the promotion. I don't have any real timeline right now. Hell, might end up being another year before I make a move, so odds seem good they'll bring that (or another) promo back.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yep, 2SS + 1LE is exactly what I had, plus that lime green color (and was considering a couple small add-ons). I do like the simplicity of those options, too, heh.

And cool on the promotion. I don't have any real timeline right now. Hell, might end up being another year before I make a move, so odds seem good they'll bring that (or another) promo back.
oh the shock! i was really considering that color. if a local dealer had it, i may have gotten it. Shock, white, and black were my top choices. But all the colors look great. Red is also very nice on them

yeah im sure they will have some nice incentives coming out by then.

Rambosupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rahmbo
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150, 2019 Bullitt, Mazda CX9
and Olds isn't? Ok, using the Cutlass Calais is unfair - should have just called it a Neon. The Cutlass or 88 were very nice.
the quality of those brands were always bad. Buick isa good one but they don’t make any sport/sporty cars.

the ok’d classic camaros are good. For example vintage yenko camaro.

But the ones made in the last 20 years are filled with cheap plastic and folks modded the fk out of them and made them look pretty trashy.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Speaking to styling..i know im biased..but i think the newest camaro looks nice. Especially with the 1le package

Screenshot_20210121-095928_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210121-095952_Gallery.jpg
And those pics don't do it justice, looks even better in person. But the side profile kills it for me sometimes. I'd also have to see if the way the panels fit around things could grow on me. As in the hood for instance seeming small with the front clip encroaching into the fenders and hood area. Not a bad thing, just different. But it's the same with the trunk at least without measuring. Seems like the opening is quite a bit smaller than the mustangs.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
And those pics don't do it justice, looks even better in person. But the side profile kills it for me sometimes. I'd also have to see if the way the panels fit around things could grow on me. As in the hood for instance seeming small with the front clip encroaching into the fenders and hood area. Not a bad thing, just different. But it's the same with the trunk at least without measuring. Seems like the opening is quite a bit smaller than the mustangs.
the trunk opening i do believe is smaller, but the overall size of the trunk is larger. So theoretically more will fit into it, as long as they fit through the opening :cwl:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh the shock! i was really considering that color. if a local dealer had it, i may have gotten it. Shock, white, and black were my top choices. But all the colors look great. Red is also very nice on them

yeah im sure they will have some nice incentives coming out by then.
I'm picky AF, so I pretty much always special order. I feel like if you're gonna buy new, half the point is to get the car exactly how you want it (as opposed to being limited by what's available on the used car market), but I digress... If I got a Camaro, one way or another, I'm getting that green lol. I don't know if I've ever even seen that color on the street or even at the track, which makes it all the more awesome. How is it not more popular?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I'm picky AF, so I pretty much always special order. I feel like if you're gonna buy new, half the point is to get the car exactly how you want it (as opposed to being limited by what's available on the used car market), but I digress... If I got a Camaro, one way or another, I'm getting that green lol.
yeah! i was considering a special order, but the dealership had one exactly how i wanted it with 6 miles on it. (i had looked at a 1ss 1le as well but decided i wanted the extra creature comforts)

i really just wanted to see shock in person first as i never had, but white was my other top option so it worked out well for me. If it wasnt exactly how i wanted it i would have special ordered for sure.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a couple of non-1LE Camaros. Would not buy. The 1LE package is what sealed the deal.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
A big trunk with a small opening is as useless as a small trunk. More often than not, I need to fit larger items in the trunk, not 1,000,000 small things. If I have a bunch of little things, they are going to be put into a container to prevent them from sliding around the trunk. If I can't fit that through the opening, or into the back seat, it's as if they don't exist.
depends on the opening. there is a fine line i agree.

i do not foresee anything that i will need to go into the trunk that will not fit through the opening, for what its worth. Also a lot of items are shorter one way vs another, so fitting most things should not be an issue. Guess it depends what you are putting in there. With your charger, i would assume you use it more often than your mustang if you have large items that need transporting.

neither car is very practical realistically speaking.