Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I wouldn't consider myself to have a sensitive stomach but if I drink milk or have certain foods before I workout I will throw up.

I used creatine alot when I was in high school. I don't really know the history of creatine but back then I would get the powder, which was water based. I didn't really know what I was doing. I was in that 'bro science' phase so I probably wasn't using it right, just doing what idiots told me to do. I'd take it before and after my workout and I'd always throw up in the beginning of my workout. I thought it was why my biceps were so big so I kept doing it.

After high-school I stopped with body building mostly because I didn't care to workout and to take a bunch of supplements on top of PT. When I was allowed to workout on my own, I got back into supplements.

Theres like 3 different types of creatine, I don't remember all the different ones. The ones I took were pre-alkalnine and they came in pills. You are supposed to take it before (and after?) And it didn't upset my stomach at all. I only stopped taking them because I kept forgetting to take them before my workouts.

One thing you might want to look into is dextrose. Its the powder form of glucose after your workout. In theory its supposed to stop the muscle burning effect of exercise because your body releases insulin under stress. I can't say for certain that it helped me, just made me pee alot but when I was using it I was the heaviest I was at 190lbs. When I really learned all of this and how to workout properly I put on weight like crazy.

There isn't, alot of information out there for us hard gainers so you have to do whatever you can :)
Hard gainers jist don't eat enough food, or you just have naturally low test aka hypogonadism.

Hard gainer. Test + Deca. Problem solved. Lol

If your feeling really frisky replace the Deca with Tren

You still have to put the work in and eat your face off. But the results will speak for themselves. PED's aren't for everyone but lifting is a waste of time without them once you get into your late 30s if you want to train like you did in your 20s.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I workout everyday, 4 days a week swimming in my pool, 3 days a week in my home gym.

I am almost 60 but look like 35, so eat my shorts!

TC

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I lift weights hard 5 or 6 days/week in my garage. Before pandemic I worked out at a nice gym in my city 4 or 5 times/week. In July 2019 I bought a home gym and 450+ lbs of free weights that my wife wanted for a paltry $250 (it's probably worth 4 times that now). It's a Smith machine style with multiple pulleys. I have a make shift bench and an Olympic 45 pound barbell, and over 500 lbs worth of weights (including the weights I already had). I also have dumbbells.

I'm the strongest I've ever been; I'm 5'-10" and 197 lbs of pretty much solid muscle. I'm fairly low bodyfat but not ultra lean since I'm not "cutting". I eat whatever I want and maintain a decent body fat %.

For reference, I can bench press 225 lbs 14 to 15 times without a spotter with pretty good form. I.e., not bouncing it off my chest or stopping only halfway down like some guys; I also don't arch my back very much. I might raise my lower back up a couple of inches to eek out the last couple of reps, though.

I do squats and deadlifts but not heavy weight; I like to do multiple sets of 10 with my bodyweight (+/-). I can get a good pump that way, and less risk of injury. I'm not 22 anymore -- I'm in my early 40s FWIW but feel 29 physically!

As for workout ideas:

Chest: Bench press, incline bench, and machine flyes

Shoulders: I do standing shoulder barbell presses (less weight than if your back is supported by an upright bench), lateral raises with dumbbells, front barbell raises, shrugs, and upright rows with the barbell.

Arms: barbell curls, reverse curls, and for triceps I use the cables on my machine with various attachments (rope, w bar, etc.).

legs: squats and straight legged deadlifts

Back: bent over barbell rows, cable rows, cable pull downs, etc.

Core: various cable pull exercises, and of course the deadlifts.

Good luck with your workouts -- you should get back into it!

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Highly recommend cardio interval training, especially the older you get... have done a lot of research on being an older athlete. The book Fast after Fifty by Joe Friel was particularly helpful, I actually emailed the author directly a couple times and got a response. It takes a while to kind of dial in an interval program to your own specific capabilities / limitations but the results have been good, I do it once a week and the total workout including warmup is only around 30 minutes. Five 90 second jogs to warm up with a 30 second rest between jogs; Twelve 30 second sprints with a 30 second rest between sprints; and a 2 minute cooldown jog. Again that is personalized, everyone will be different.
Thats good, I remember we did something similar in boot camp, they were called 60/30s and 60/120s. It actually made me a better runner. Took me from someone who couldn't run two miles, to someone who can run two miles in in 12 minutes. I remember reading that HIIT Cradio acutally increases your VO2 Max meaning you can run faster and longer.

Once a week is not bad at all and is completely doable. I have always hated running long distance, would rather much sprint for a bit and then rest. Definitely going to try this out next week.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't count the number of times I've heard people say that. I got schooled every class for a long time. You really can't judge your improvement in the beginning stages until a new group of people come in and stick around.

Sounds like you already figured out the solution, more mat time. I hope you end up going back, I always say BJJ is like a physical game of chess. He does this, so I'm going to counter with this. Then he counters my counter with this and I'll try this, etc. etc. etc.

I'm on the smaller side, 5'9 and float between 152 - 162. There is nothing more satisfying that rolling with that 200+lbs new guy that thinks he's going to muscle me around. The look of astonishment when they are tapping multiple times in a 5 minute roll is priceless.
That is true, when there were new guys they were more easier, but I was behind with the original group.

Definitely will be going back, I'm actually graduating this year and will have a break before I go to grad school, I am going to get back into it.

Haha yeah, thats exactly what happened to me. 5 rounds of 5 minutes rolling. The guy was a pretty small compared to me, only 5'4 and 140lbs, but he was a purple belt so he knew his stuff. Gassed myself out during the 1st round and then he just rolled my into a pretzel every round. I had to sit one out because I was so exhausted and thought I was going to pass out lol. You never realize how out of shape you really are until you start rolling with someone. Puts into perspective the crazy conditioning those UFC guys have. I couldn't last that long.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I was 125lbs 17 years old, joined army the day I turned 17, I gained 27 pounds in infantry school. 3-4 months.
I’ve been the same size for 13 years, just flabby or jacked.

I was benching 275x3 last year but then one day I couldn’t roll over in bed or lift my right arm.

I damaged my ryotstor cuff and got a bicep tear. Now I have shoulder arthritis, and bicep tendinitis. I’ve been taking cortisone shots and full regiment of anti inflammatory for1 year.

I just benched 150lbs last week. And it hurt, the motion of pushing pains me, terribly. I’m 5’8 155lbs now and can’t even bench my weight, it’s not my strength but it’s like I physically can’t.

it’s weird, I can still do pull ups, but notbench, not push ups, not dumb bell shoulder raises etc.

Depressing really. I just ordered a treadmill, it’s depressing going to gym and can’t really lift. So going to start over and do jogging 2-4 miles everyday and try to do a few push ups, I just did 20 push ups last night In a row

oh also last year before injury I did a session of 150 pull ups in 20 minutes, and one night I did 1500 push ups. I was doing sets of 50-100 every 10 minutes lol. I was playing games andwould do a set between fortnite rounds.

next day I was in so much soreness. But repetitions are just muscle memory, I have never been hulk or Arnold, just strong and fit.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Thats good, I remember we did something similar in boot camp, they were called 60/30s and 60/120s. It actually made me a better runner. Took me from someone who couldn't run two miles, to someone who can run two miles in in 12 minutes. I remember reading that HIIT Cradio acutally increases your VO2 Max meaning you can run faster and longer.
The book gets way more scientific about VO2 max than I could understand, but I thought it was interesting that it depends not only on your lung capacity, but also on your weight and flexibility. I stretch and do yoga specifically to help with VO2 max. The book also discusses studies that show that long distance moderate pace running is way less effective than HIIT.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
I just started the garage gym thing but no weights. Got a heavy bag and starting to do some kickboxing again. Haven't done anything but eat and get fat the last 6 or 7 years and doing Physical Therapy now for a back injury. I'm 6'1 and 290lbs. Goal weight of 205. Last night was day 1, did 3 3minute rounds at about 15% power and just tried to keep my hands up. How the mighty have fallen...I have a long way to go but the journey has begun. Just gotta find your motivation man. Don't let yourself go like I did, it sucks!
Keep at it. It will pay off in the long run. 👍

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
That is true, when there were new guys they were more easier, but I was behind with the original group.

Definitely will be going back, I'm actually graduating this year and will have a break before I go to grad school, I am going to get back into it.

Haha yeah, thats exactly what happened to me. 5 rounds of 5 minutes rolling. The guy was a pretty small compared to me, only 5'4 and 140lbs, but he was a purple belt so he knew his stuff. Gassed myself out during the 1st round and then he just rolled my into a pretzel every round. I had to sit one out because I was so exhausted and thought I was going to pass out lol. You never realize how out of shape you really are until you start rolling with someone. Puts into perspective the crazy conditioning those UFC guys have. I couldn't last that long.
That's awesome, glad to hear you'll be going back. Congrats on graduating this year! When you go back, don't worry about your teammates and how bad they beat you up. Instead focus on getting better every training session. When new guys tell me how bad they are, I usually say thing like "What are you talking about, you defended 2 different submission attempts before I caught you on the 3rd. When you first started training I could submit you at will. Your defense is way better and that is the first step." So keep that in mind.

I too am a purple belt, our school is run by a guy who is of the old school mentality. He's from Brasil and got his blackbelt at Carlson Gracie's school. It took me 4 years to get my blue belt, about 3 years to get my purple and I've been a purple for almost 4 years now. It's a long and difficult journey that few people are able to stick it out all the way to black. I'm not sure if my body will hold up long enough to make it, but I going to train as long as I can.

If you're ever in the Tampa area and want to train, our school offers the 1st week free. Give me a little notice, I typically train Tue, Thu and either Fri evenings or Sat morning every week.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Skipped Tuesday to rest and day 2 was last night. After PT while still warm hit the bag again just like Monday. Went about the same, shoulders super tender today. Only thing I did different was during my minute rest between rounds I was doing high stepping marches to keep moving. I just got resistance bands yesterday so plan on messing with them tonight, maybe some curls and triceps extensions. May also do some body weight squats depending on how my body feels about them. During PT they were easy and wanted add weight but my ankle was bothering me so kept it body weight. Stupid ankle needs to stop being dumb. Might be a ligament tear or strain. How long do those take to heal? Still refusing to let these speed bumps stop me. And thanks for now being my accountabilibuddies.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Skipped Tuesday to rest and day 2 was last night. After PT while still warm hit the bag again just like Monday. Went about the same, shoulders super tender today. Only thing I did different was during my minute rest between rounds I was doing high stepping marches to keep moving. I just got resistance bands yesterday so plan on messing with them tonight, maybe some curls and triceps extensions. May also do some body weight squats depending on how my body feels about them. During PT they were easy and wanted add weight but my ankle was bothering me so kept it body weight. Stupid ankle needs to stop being dumb. Might be a ligament tear or strain. How long do those take to heal? Still refusing to let these speed bumps stop me. And thanks for now being my accountabilibuddies.
Look into a peptide named BPC-157.

Works wonders for healing local injuries such as your ankle.

Also if CBD is available to you try and get a CBD infused lotion and apply it to your ankle. It should give some pain relief in the meantime.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Look into a peptide named BPC-157.

Works wonders for healing local injuries such as your ankle.

Also if CBD is available to you try and get a CBD infused lotion and apply it to your ankle. It should give some pain relief in the meantime.
Thanks! I'll look into the BPC-157.

I've had terrible luck with CBD products, wish they could be regulated already! Seems like the ones I get (even "medical grade" from a chiropractor) don't do anything for me. Luckily the pain isn't bad at all, doesn't make me limp or anything. Really only gets more than an annoyance when I do something like jump rope or when I kicked the bag with my left leg and all the twisting and weight of me was on the bad ankle, not my brightest move. Don't remember hitting it on anything and there aren't any marks or swelling. Hurts on the bottom 1/4 of the ball. Only weird thing was last night at PT doing a body weight squat the pain went up the side of my calf so stopped immediately. Doc appointment scheduled but not till the 29th. Till it gets figured out, I'm just gonna do what I can without doing any more damage.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Hard gainers jist don't eat enough food, or you just have naturally low test aka hypogonadism.

Hard gainer. Test + Deca. Problem solved. Lol

If your feeling really frisky replace the Deca with Tren

You still have to put the work in and eat your face off. But the results will speak for themselves. PED's aren't for everyone but lifting is a waste of time without them once you get into your late 30s if you want to train like you did in your 20s.
Tren is the devil lol

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Bone spur in right ankle. Right wrist x rays are normal so carpal tunnel most likely. Still doing my 5 day workout Mon/Wed/Fri boxing 3 3min rounds with planks for active rests. Teus/Thurs resistance bands for about an hour or more depending when I'm done. Superset 2 activities 3 sets with wall sits and planks for active rests. Down 18lbs. in about 2 months.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bone spur in right ankle. Right wrist x rays are normal so carpal tunnel most likely. Still doing my 5 day workout Mon/Wed/Fri boxing 3 3min rounds with planks for active rests. Teus/Thurs resistance bands for about an hour or more depending when I'm done. Superset 2 activities 3 sets with wall sits and planks for active rests. Down 18lbs. in about 2 months.
Damn that's very good. I've learned that regardless of your goals as long as your are seeing results, just keep it up and you'll be good :like:
Sponsored

Last edited: