Anybody here still work out?

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I have a personal trainer that keeps me motivated. he has a home gym setup in his garage in my neighborhood. I go three days a week for HIIT training and one day Boxing.

So far, I have lost 70lbs. Changed from a Keto diet to a Carnivore diet.
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
I usually go to the guy from ATHLEAN-X. His stuff has worked really good for me.

Sounds like you have a good setup.

Do you know what is the point of weighed vests? I remember looking forward to having my claves and legs jacked when I found out I would be a machine gunner in the Army, carrying a whole bunch of crap. All I got out of it was a messed up back and knees lol, and my legs are still skinny lol. Only time i'll use something weighted on me is when Im doing pull ups or dips.
I feel you on the calves! It's genetics!

I found about jocko after I read his book. I found david goggins on joe rogan. David goggins is a funny ass dude! He's a serious freak/ultra marathon runner! Also look into james grage on youtube. He's by far the best for resistance bands imo.

The weighted vest helps wear me down faster when I go walking on long distances. I don't use it when running. It'll hurt my back and knees. I don't use it to build muscle. I don't have to go 5 miles to get a good burn either. I can keep my heart rate up without trying to walk fast/jog. My heart rate is usually 130 to 140 with vest. 100 to 110 without it

Also thank you for your service bro!

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Question for you guys.
I'm a super hard gainer, my strength goes up dramatically when I workout but not weight or size. For reference I had stomach surgery two years ago for an issue and especially ever since then I can't crack 145lbs and I'm 6'2" lifting the same as when I weighed around 170. I eat all the healthy calories I can (stomach kind of limited since the surgery). Anyway here's the question, I've never tried creatine - but read tons about it, however is it hard on the digestive tract? If so I might not be able to use it. Anyone else here have a sensitive stomach/limited diet? What do you do to get around it?
I wouldn't consider myself to have a sensitive stomach but if I drink milk or have certain foods before I workout I will throw up.

I used creatine alot when I was in high school. I don't really know the history of creatine but back then I would get the powder, which was water based. I didn't really know what I was doing. I was in that 'bro science' phase so I probably wasn't using it right, just doing what idiots told me to do. I'd take it before and after my workout and I'd always throw up in the beginning of my workout. I thought it was why my biceps were so big so I kept doing it.

After high-school I stopped with body building mostly because I didn't care to workout and to take a bunch of supplements on top of PT. When I was allowed to workout on my own, I got back into supplements.

Theres like 3 different types of creatine, I don't remember all the different ones. The ones I took were pre-alkalnine and they came in pills. You are supposed to take it before (and after?) And it didn't upset my stomach at all. I only stopped taking them because I kept forgetting to take them before my workouts.

One thing you might want to look into is dextrose. Its the powder form of glucose after your workout. In theory its supposed to stop the muscle burning effect of exercise because your body releases insulin under stress. I can't say for certain that it helped me, just made me pee alot but when I was using it I was the heaviest I was at 190lbs. When I really learned all of this and how to workout properly I put on weight like crazy.

There isn't, alot of information out there for us hard gainers so you have to do whatever you can :)

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Question for you guys.
I'm a super hard gainer, my strength goes up dramatically when I workout but not weight or size. For reference I had stomach surgery two years ago for an issue and especially ever since then I can't crack 145lbs and I'm 6'2" lifting the same as when I weighed around 170. I eat all the healthy calories I can (stomach kind of limited since the surgery). Anyway here's the question, I've never tried creatine - but read tons about it, however is it hard on the digestive tract? If so I might not be able to use it. Anyone else here have a sensitive stomach/limited diet? What do you do to get around it?
I'm also a hard gainer and had stomach surgery so I can't ever get bulky. Have tried every supplement on earth and none worked - as a friend who is a competitive bodybuilder says, you have to eat like it's a job, do it even when you don't want to. But if you can't eat like a normal person you're gonna have a hard time gaining muscle.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm also a hard gainer and had stomach surgery so I can't ever get bulky. Have tried every supplement on earth and none worked - as a friend who is a competitive bodybuilder says, you have to eat like it's a job, do it even when you don't want to. But if you can't eat like a normal person you're gonna have a hard time gaining muscle.
Yeah that's where sometimes I need to take a break from working out. At first its great because I literally stuff my face in and eat myself to sleep every night. After several months of consistently eating and meal prepping it does wear on you, but that is the truth you really have to stuff food (the right foods) down your mouth. And you have to do it consistently or you'll loose weight. I also don't have a huge appetite for food so I just eat slowly and wash everything down with water.

This is why I'm completely fine with being 180lbs. I can maintain a good balance and still be lax. If im pushing around 187lbs I'm consistent. I really don't know how people in wrestling or the NFL can push ~230lbs and not be on a crazy diet.

Its nice to go on a 'weight loss diet' by just simply not eating like crazy and not working out. But it does have its downsides, theres really no perfect body type, and everybody is different. My best friend who I usually workout with is completely opposite, gains weight like crazy, and tries to be lean. He has to do the same amount of effort to loose weight as I do to gain weight.

Last edited:

Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I wouldn't consider myself to have a sensitive stomach but if I drink milk or have certain foods before I workout I will throw up.

I used creatine alot when I was in high school. I don't really know the history of creatine but back then I would get the powder, which was water based. I didn't really know what I was doing. I was in that 'bro science' phase so I probably wasn't using it right, just doing what idiots told me to do. I'd take it before and after my workout and I'd always throw up in the beginning of my workout. I thought it was why my biceps were so big so I kept doing it.

After high-school I stopped with body building mostly because I didn't care to workout and to take a bunch of supplements on top of PT. When I was allowed to workout on my own, I got back into supplements.

Theres like 3 different types of creatine, I don't remember all the different ones. The ones I took were pre-alkalnine and they came in pills. You are supposed to take it before (and after?) And it didn't upset my stomach at all. I only stopped taking them because I kept forgetting to take them before my workouts.

One thing you might want to look into is dextrose. Its the powder form of glucose after your workout. In theory its supposed to stop the muscle burning effect of exercise because your body releases insulin under stress. I can't say for certain that it helped me, just made me pee alot but when I was using it I was the heaviest I was at 190lbs. When I really learned all of this and how to workout properly I put on weight like crazy.

There isn't, alot of information out there for us hard gainers so you have to do whatever you can :)
Thanks guys. Yeah I can eat normally, but over eating is hit and miss. Haha this might just be my lot in life now, which you know what I'll take it because I know people who are hard losers and I feel for them. At least I can have pizza and literally not worry about it or drink anything I want. Would be nice to get back to 170 again, but for now, I might just go with being healthy as my purpose to workout.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. Yeah I can eat normally, but over eating is hit and miss. Haha this might just be my lot in life now, which you know what I'll take it because I know people who are hard losers and I feel for them. At least I can have pizza and literally not worry about it or drink anything I want. Would be nice to get back to 170 again, but for now, I might just go with being healthy as my purpose to workout.
What really helped me gain weight was eating potatoes, and brown rice (with quinoa) 3 times a day, and then for my protein I'd put in oats, peanut butter, frozen berries with 2% milk (2% has the most carbohydrates). I'd have oatmeal as snacks. The protein might hurt you because it definitely gets me bloated.

Increasing my carbohydrate intake really is what worked. Wish I knew that earlier. And you want to eat complex carbohydrates.

But yeah whatever works, injuries suck and are hard to work around especially if you had surgery. I don't go crazy on deadlifts or squats anymore because of my back.

Reactions: XS

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I haven't gone to the gym since the lockdowns began in March. I hate doing home workouts because it just reminds me of getting smoked in the Army and I just say fuck this and stop.

I'm a naturally slim and tall guy (6'2"/6'3" ish), I don't gain weight unless its lean muscle mass. Im usually a solid ~180 lbs when I workout but since I haven't gone in such along time I've lost most of my mass and I weigh probably 165lbs now. Im not really worried because I can put on weight just as fast as I loose it.

I am pretty young but I'm considered at high risk for COVID because of my medical issues so I've been laying low and not doing anything. So I haven't been motivated lately and haven't cared about my appearance at all.

I'm thinking about buying some gym equipment maybe but I was wondering if anyone here is doing some home workouts could share what they are doing. Or how they are working out around COVID.

As a former Infantry soldier myself, I walk/run 10 Kilometers a day (6miles) as well as pushups everyday. Thats about it. More for my sanity than any real workout. Im 57 now and don't run that much anymore. I get my cardio from playing singles tennis or bike riding. The pounding of long runs begins to take a toll.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Every 12 weeks during my off week I take weight, waist, chest, and arm measurements and then plan the next 12 weeks of diet and workouts accordingly. Over the years it's become pretty clear that (for me) eating a lot before bed and/or a poor diet = increased weight and waist, but chest and arm measurements are affected only by the workout types. No amount or types of supplements, protein powders, etc have had any effect so I quit using them, wasn't worth the money. But again that's for a hard gainer, I'm 5-10 and after 10+ years of weight training CANNOT get over 185 lbs. Usually in the 178-182 range.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm not a home gym guy, but I've actually been working out more the last 10 months or so. You'd be surprised how much more motivation I have to workout when I don't have an hour commute home.

My main exercise is BJJ, been doing that for almost 11 years. When COVID hit the gym closed and I bought a mountain bike to ride around my neighborhood during the week and trail riding on the weekend. My BJJ gym opened several months ago (thankful I'm in Florida and our lock down restrictions are minimal). There have been no cases in the gym and the owner consistently reminds everyone to not take chances and stay home if you're not feeling 100%.

I'm lazy, so any exercise I do has to interest me and I really enjoy both activities. In a normal week, I ride 10 to 12 miles 2x, train 3x and hit the trails usually on Sunday.

Not to derail this thread, but curious if there are any other BJJ practitioners on this site?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a former Infantry soldier myself, I walk/run 10 Kilometers a day (6miles) as well as pushups everyday. Thats about it. More for my sanity than any real workout. Im 57 now and don't run that much anymore. I get my cardio from playing singles tennis or bike riding. The pounding of long runs begins to take a toll.
Interesting, I hated running with a passion before I joined, the Army only reinforced my hatred for it lol. I can don't mind pushups but I have to do it in between sets of chest workout. I can't pull myself to just bang out sets until I can't do it anymore.

That good, I used to play pickup volleyball games as an excuse for cardio. I do slack heavily on cardio. I've probably ran a total of 7 miles since I got out 7 years ago lol. I really do need to start doing something since I have lung disease now.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not a home gym guy, but I've actually been working out more the last 10 months or so. You'd be surprised how much more motivation I have to workout when I don't have an hour commute home.

My main exercise is BJJ, been doing that for almost 11 years. When COVID hit the gym closed and I bought a mountain bike to ride around my neighborhood during the week and trail riding on the weekend. My BJJ gym opened several months ago (thankful I'm in Florida and our lock down restrictions are minimal). There have been no cases in the gym and the owner consistently reminds everyone to not take chances and stay home if you're not feeling 100%.

I'm lazy, so any exercise I do has to interest me and I really enjoy both activities. In a normal week, I ride 10 to 12 miles 2x, train 3x and hit the trails usually on Sunday.

Not to derail this thread, but curious if there are any other BJJ practitioners on this site?
Thats good, a few years ago I did BJJ. I did it over the summer, but I eventually stopped because it was really hard to focus on doing BJJ and taking my classes in college. I would just show up to class and just get my ass kicked because I couldn't remember the moves. Once I'm done with school I do want to get back into it, and get to that point where I don't have to think about what to do. It was very good training.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I do slack heavily on cardio. I've probably ran a total of 7 miles since I got out 7 years ago lol. I really do need to start doing something since I have lung disease now.
Highly recommend cardio interval training, especially the older you get... have done a lot of research on being an older athlete. The book Fast after Fifty by Joe Friel was particularly helpful, I actually emailed the author directly a couple times and got a response. It takes a while to kind of dial in an interval program to your own specific capabilities / limitations but the results have been good, I do it once a week and the total workout including warmup is only around 30 minutes. Five 90 second jogs to warm up with a 30 second rest between jogs; Twelve 30 second sprints with a 30 second rest between sprints; and a 2 minute cooldown jog. Again that is personalized, everyone will be different.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thats good, a few years ago I did BJJ. I did it over the summer, but I eventually stopped because it was really hard to focus on doing BJJ and taking my classes in college. I would just show up to class and just get my ass kicked because I couldn't remember the moves. Once I'm done with school I do want to get back into it, and get to that point where its just muscle memory.
I couldn't count the number of times I've heard people say that. I got schooled every class for a long time. You really can't judge your improvement in the beginning stages until a new group of people come in and stick around.

Sounds like you already figured out the solution, more mat time. I hope you end up going back, I always say BJJ is like a physical game of chess. He does this, so I'm going to counter with this. Then he counters my counter with this and I'll try this, etc. etc. etc.

I'm on the smaller side, 5'9 and float between 152 - 162. There is nothing more satisfying that rolling with that 200+lbs new guy that thinks he's going to muscle me around. The look of astonishment when they are tapping multiple times in a 5 minute roll is priceless.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Never stopped working out. I've been working out at home for years.
I did however, stop going to the gym because of the Chinese virus back in February and I only go to do cardio. Treadmill or the bike, I switch it up. I only went on the weekends, but there are weekends I do miss it.
Sponsored