Die hard Manual guys get in here!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So what is the weak point on a 2018 version 6spd manual; the forks?

I purchased the car with a slew of modifications (Whipple stage 2) and supporting mods (twin disc x-clutch, suspension, etc) and an in this thread for a reason. Anything particular to be aware of?
Yes, the 2018 has aluminum shift forks which are sensitive. No gorilla shifting, lol. 2019 and later went back to steel forks.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Funny, if back in the day when most of us were driving manuals you plopped down a modern A10 transmission we all would have crapped ourselves and then lined up with cash money to get one. It would have been a magical thing really.

So, for someone who has shifted gears a billion times, for my 2020 I went "pussy version" (as one of my buddies put it). Snort!

I do have a question for the kids who drive manual, do you double-clutch any more or is that not needed with the new nanny manual transmissions..? :sunglasses:

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
M
Yes, the 2018 has aluminum shift forks which are sensitive. No gorilla shifting, lol. 2019 and later went back to steel forks.
mmm gotcha. But they should t just break correct? Even with a modified car, would Ford warranty cover an issue like that until ... Whenever expired?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M

mmm gotcha. But they should t just break correct? Even with a modified car, would Ford warranty cover an issue like that until ... Whenever expired?
They may claim the modification caused the issue then it would be up to you to prove otherwise.

Be wise in your choice of dealer...

But realistically, you will be fine if you don't slap-shift the shit out of it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, if back in the day when most of us were driving manuals you plopped down a modern A10 transmission we all would have crapped ourselves and then lined up with cash money to get one. It would have been a magical thing really.

So, for someone who has shifted gears a billion times, for my 2020 I went "pussy version" (as one of my buddies put it). Snort!

I do have a question for the kids who drive manual, do you double-clutch any more or is that not needed with the new nanny manual transmissions..? :sunglasses:
Double clutching............... for a car went out when the transmission got syncros.

Why I prefer a manual, cause an auto trans is BORING. I do not like to be bored and less fun.

Can tell you this, the very first comment from folks that look in the car ........... is all about the 6 speed, now that I find funny.

Nope never see me drooling over some 10sp. I know some want very badly to believe people do.

I must assume they are unsure of the decesion with regards to the pussey version?

:question:

Alum forks, ooo not good, no flex with alum, it just snaps . Hope Ford shot the engineer that thought that was a good idea

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Which it's pretty much exactly what I do, although I usually hit every gear except first when coming to a stop. It was required when I took my driving test, and reinforced in motorcycle training (as a defensive technique).

I'm in no way advocating sparing the brakes, simply making an observation that refutes a commonly held misconception about damage to manual transmissions and actually suggests some benefit, albeit arguably trivial to your point, in downshifting.
My last manual was a SRT-4 that I had about 10 years ago. And someone brought up a good point about the down shifting on that forum. It’s not that it will damage the transmission. But it will double the wear on the clutch. That made perfect sense to me. So I stopped the down shifting practice and just coasted to a stop on the brakes. Which were much easier and cheaper to change in that car than a clutch.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
My last manual was a SRT-4 that I had about 10 years ago. And someone brought up a good point about the down shifting on that forum. It’s not that it will damage the transmission. But it will double the wear on the clutch. That made perfect sense to me. So I stopped the down shifting practice and just coasted to a stop on the brakes. Which were much easier and cheaper to change in that car than a clutch.
Of you're using the clutch to drag the engine revs up to match the trans this is true. However a proper downshift should be done by matching the revs and wear should be negligible. Then the, compression of the engine is used to slow the car, not the clutch friction material.

My winter beater has over 100,000mi on the original clutch. I'm not the original owner, but I have put on most of the miles and it has been downshifted all over town for engine braking.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Double clutching............... for a car went out when the transmission got syncros.

Why I prefer a manual, cause an auto trans is BORING. I do not like to be bored and less fun.

Can tell you this, the very first comment from folks that look in the car ........... is all about the 6 speed, now that I find funny.

Nope never see me drooling over some 10sp. I know some want very badly to believe people do.

I must assume they are unsure of the decesion with regards to the pussey version?

:question:

Alum forks, ooo not good, no flex with alum, it just snaps . Hope Ford shot the engineer that thought that was a good idea
Depends on the application. The A10 is much preferred for the track. Street too I suppose for racers. Everything else equal. Not some misguided belief I have. You can't shift faster or better.

I joke about the double-clutching.

Here is my A10 shifter. Cheap theft insurance.
1609074244698.png

Oh, and boredom is a sign of a weak mind. I'm never bored in my A10!

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Depends on the application. The A10 is much preferred for the track. Street too I suppose for racers. Everything else equal. Not some misguided belief I have. You can't shift faster or better.

1609074244698.png

I’ve got a red shift knob like that too. Just a blank knob with no numbers.
F4B10DE6-C2C7-4052-80E3-709075E29DBA.jpeg

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st

1609074244698.png

Not for road course duty...see the struggles in the hpde section keeping them together.
Strip yes, track not so much.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
do you double-clutch any more or is that not needed with the new nanny manual transmissions..?
manual trans since the 80's have syncronizers so no you don't need to drive it like a truck. Though if you want to double clutch it'll still work great. Your 0-60 times will suffer and we all know that is the only measure of a man (and Mustang ownership) that matters.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My recollection is that we'd have wanted to see hard proof for ourselves first.

You'd have had to have been a particularly forward-thinking drag racer to truly see the potential as opposed to simply being in shock over the gear count.

Norm

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My recollection is that we'd have wanted to see hard proof for ourselves first.

You'd have had to have been a particularly forward-thinking drag racer to truly see the potential as opposed to simply being in shock over the gear count.

Norm
Indeed...I suppose a caveman would probably crush an iPad with a rock too if you dropped one in it's lap.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Depends on the application. The A10 is much preferred for the track drag strip. Street too I suppose for racers the vast majority of average drivers.
Fixed.

Everything else equal. Not some misguided belief I have. You can't shift faster or better.
No question about the 'faster shifting' part, but except for when you're racing in a straight line that advantage is way over-rated.

The jury out on the matter of 'better'. Automatics aren't always better at choosing the right gear for any given individual driver every time (for example, ATs are known to hunt between gears, or downshift too far and almost immediately upshift). Not all that good at making shifts happen exactly when the human driver would have made them, either.

1609074244698.png
Now that's cool . . .

"Boring" is simply the handiest word to describe what it feels like to have a driving task taken away from you. Personally, I think the word 'insulting' fits better when referring to operating an AT in 'D', and 'frustrating' is a better description regarding manually-commanding an AT.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
manual trans since the 80's have syncronizers so no you don't need to drive it like a truck. Though if you want to double clutch it'll still work great. Your 0-60 times will suffer and we all know that is the only measure of a man (and Mustang ownership) that matters.
Transmissions that were fully synchronized in all of the forward ratios are quite a bit older than that. Maybe think 1960s (1964-ish for Ford's Toploader series).

Double-clutching on a synchronized transmission is generally reserved for downshifting, which obviously wouldn't be a factor in 0-60 times.

There is, however, a situation where you still might (and perhaps should) double-clutch an upshift in a synchronized transmission. That would be when it's cold enough for the gear lube to stiffen up enough to cause input shaft revs to drop too far too fast for easy synchronized entry to the next gear (usually the first couple of times going from 1st to 2nd).

Norm
Sponsored