Off-road headers and O2 sensors

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium pp, FBO CJ/Cams combo, E85
So by now it’s a common thing that your O2 sensors go out with catless headers. I have a 15 GT on E85 with Corsa 1-7/8 catless headers..... long story short I am on my 3rd pair of O2 sensors or one side is the other is on the second but my bank 2 upstream is now taking a dump. I’ve checked the extensions, the cables themselves, it’s just my O2 sensor because when I replace them boom back to normal. So I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of any aftermarket or better O2 sensors? I keep reordering the oem one but obviously they keep going out, I’ve tried everything, O2 spacers (which actually made it run wonky because of the flex fuel tune) wrapping the wires, nothing works so I’m fed up. I found these and was wondering what you guys thought because they are kind of pricey 😬

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2015/ford/mustang/fuel_injection/oxygen_sensor.html

They are WALKER something, they claim to exceed oem quality but I want to confirm before downing 200 on a set of sensors that won’t last any longer than oem.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
So by now it’s a common thing that your O2 sensors go out with catless headers. I have a 15 GT on E85 with Corsa 1-7/8 catless headers..... long story short I am on my 3rd pair of O2 sensors or one side is the other is on the second but my bank 2 upstream is now taking a dump. I’ve checked the extensions, the cables themselves, it’s just my O2 sensor because when I replace them boom back to normal. So I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of any aftermarket or better O2 sensors? I keep reordering the oem one but obviously they keep going out, I’ve tried everything, O2 spacers (which actually made it run wonky because of the flex fuel tune) wrapping the wires, nothing works so I’m fed up. I found these and was wondering what you guys thought because they are kind of pricey 😬

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2015/ford/mustang/fuel_injection/oxygen_sensor.html

They are WALKER something, they claim to exceed oem quality but I want to confirm before downing 200 on a set of sensors that won’t last any longer than oem.
When it comes to electronics, like sensors, the best brand is almost always the one that came on the car. The problem for you isn't that you are getting a bad sensor. If you were to go out and buy another brand sensor, it would still die in short order.

Also, if there is any way around using extensions, do it. See if there is slack in the wiring somewhere that's pinned down or bolted down.

Does your O2 sensor sit parallel with the ground or is it angled? I've seen lots of people, me included, complain about O2 sensors going out quickly. Corn is harder on O2 sensors and I wouldn't expect to get the life expectancy out of them that you would get if you were running 93 or 91. The best thing in your situation is to make sure your O2 bung is angled instead of flat. Just my .02. Maybe someone else has a secret, but sorry I don't.

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
When it comes to electronics, like sensors, the best brand is almost always the one that came on the car. The problem for you isn't that you are getting a bad sensor. If you were to go out and buy another brand sensor, it would still die in short order.

Also, if there is any way around using extensions, do it. See if there is slack in the wiring somewhere that's pinned down or bolted down.

Does your O2 sensor sit parallel with the ground or is it angled? I've seen lots of people, me included, complain about O2 sensors going out quickly. Corn is harder on O2 sensors and I wouldn't expect to get the life expectancy out of them that you would get if you were running 93 or 91. The best thing in your situation is to make sure your O2 bung is angled instead of flat. Just my .02. Maybe someone else has a secret, but sorry I don't.
Mine sit parallel with the ground, I’ve wondered about that though because when I put the spacers on, it’s like they didn’t read correctly and since it’s flex fuel it began idling wrong so would the angled ones work or much of the same? And sadly that’s true. Not much to do but keep rebuying sensors.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
What makes our sensors so prone to failure opposed to other Fords that can run E85 from the factory? Do the flex capable vehicles from the factory use different 02s?

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
have the headers re done in order to install the sensor in a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree... kooks headers come like this in order to prevent damage to the sensors with e85
IMG_1626.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
have the headers re done in order to install the sensor in a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree... kooks headers come like this in order to prevent damage to the sensors with e85
IMG_1626.jpg
This actually works? How much was it? It’s a shame you spend thousands on headers and they constantly kill your O2 sensors

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Yes, angling the sensor absolutely improves O2 longevity. I believe it lets the moisture from E85 drain off the 02 more effectively.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, angling the sensor absolutely improves O2 longevity. I believe it lets the moisture from E85 drain off the 02 more effectively.
^^^ this...

that's why kooks (best brand) comes like that... it is an easy fix and your local exhaust shop can do it for like $50-$80, the issue is not the headers but the fuel... the headers are designed to work with a gas engine... when you go to E85, it's a different story... thankfully you just need an easy cheap fix

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
^^^ this...

that's why kooks (best brand) comes like that... it is an easy fix and your local exhaust shop can do it for like $50-$80
So another topic, between kooks or Corsa? You saying I got the wrong ones? I’m eventually trying to hit 500whp all motor, I’m FBO E85 right now but I’m looking for a cobra jet mani and cams. Also can the do this when it’s on the car already?

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So another topic, between kooks or Corsa? You saying I got the wrong ones? I’m eventually trying to hit 500whp all motor, I’m FBO E85 right now but I’m looking for a cobra jet mani and cams. Also can the do this when it’s on the car already?
no, your headers are fine, swapping to kooks won't make any major difference... just do the sensor relocation job and you are good to go... get oem sensors. You can do it at any time at your local exhaust shop.

the cobra manifold/cams will need a new tune obviously, if you have the stock manifold, you are going to need bigger injectors when you swap the new IM to run E85... with the stock cams and +18 manifold, i had to install the LU47 injectors in order to run E85

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
No, you just need to get yours redone. E-85 expels a lot of water after combustion. If your O2's are parallel to the ground, that water will lay in there and foul your sensors, repeatedly. Your sensors need to be positioned so they angle downward and any moisture build up will drain out. Any competent exhaust shop can weld in new bungs in the right location and plug your old ones. Then you can go E-85 and not worry anymore.

Get a ported 18+ manifold, they are cheaper than a cobra jet or boss manifold and it has similar top end and better low end than the boss or CJ does.

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah I got a ported 18 with 56lb injectors and a JLT 120mm from the 18 and up mustangs. Who tunes your car? I went with VMP but I’m thinking to swap to Lund, I’ve heard really good reviews and well when I get the cam and cobra jet combo pairing it with a steeda closed air box and twin 67mm tb I’m hoping it’s 500whp or at least really close

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have PBD, pretty happy so far with results...

if you already have the +18 mani and the JLT, don't waste time/money with another IM and another CAI... spend that money somewhere else... you are re-buying the same stuff... a dyno tune may give you those extra hp you want from the new IM/CAI over a remote tune...

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
i have PBD, pretty happy so far with results...

if you already have the +18 mani and the JLT, don't waste time/money with another IM and another CAI... spend that money somewhere else... you are re-buying the same stuff... a dyno tune may give you those extra hp you want from the new IM/CAI over a remote tune...
With the ported 18/ NA cams combo and a dyno tune do you think I could hit 500 whp? I was looking into a ported CJ mani because I know for sure that would do it. But also I don’t know many good tuners in my area

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
with e85 and a good tune? definitely!

there must be good tuners there... if we have one here in jacksonville, something like atlanta must have a good tuner
Sponsored