GT350 engine block heater

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Does anyone know if it's possible to install an engine block heater on the 5.2 of a 2017 GT350? I sent a couple emails in to Ford Performance, but they haven't ever gotten back to me, and my local dealership doesn't have a clue. I used to have a 2018 GT 5.0 that came with a block heater, so I was wondering if that same part would fit on the 5.2?
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I did some light research on the subject and couldn't get a solid grasp of where the engine block heater was physically located for your 2018 5.0. Looks like some Coyote-based trucks have them in the front timing cover area and some in one of the freeze plugs in the block. Do you happen to remember where?

The concern I can initially see with a block heater on this car is the external oil cooler. Even if you warm up the coolant in the water jackets, you'll still have a substantial portion of cold oil in the external lines/cooler that is much cooler than the oil in the pan/block. Could be a bit rough on the engine at first, but maybe I am overthinking.

Side note, are you blocking off the air intake for the engine oil cooler? you likely don't even need that in these temps. What are your normal oil operating temps?

OP
OP

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
I think the 5.0s heater was in the freeze plug, but I can't say for sure now. I guess I should have taken a more careful look before I sold it. I haven't driven the 350 in really cold temps yet, so I can't say what the oil temp would be in this situation. Is there a good way to block off the air intake for the oil? And thanks, I appreciate your input.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think the 5.0s heater was in the freeze plug, but I can't say for sure now. I guess I should have taken a more careful look before I sold it. I haven't driven the 350 in really cold temps yet, so I can't say what the oil temp would be in this situation. Is there a good way to block off the air intake for the oil? And thanks, I appreciate your input.
Couple ways depending on how much work you want to put in. Black duct tape is what most of the race teams use :)

Outside of that, I thin sheet of AL cut to shape and zip tied to the grill will work well, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
I'm told this is the block heater for the coyote. Part number YF1Z-6A051-AA
image001.png

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Pretty much. I'd like to be able to drive it on nice winter days, since winter is five months here.
The 2020 GT350 Owner's Supplement says that 0w-40 oil is suitable for use when the temperature is below -7 C. That might help.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Have you looked at engine blankets?
I know nothing about them but did find them while searching because of this thread. Also found heaters built specifically for this purpose.
I hate to say it but if I move to a cold weather climate, I’ll probably buy something else that I can enjoy all year.
Living in milder weather nearly my whole life has spoiled me. Spent a few years in northern Colorado in the ‘80’s but was focused so much on work and raising a family, I didn’t have time for fun cars.
Hard for me to wrap my head around winterizing cars and motorcycles and not use them for months at a time.

Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
You could also use one of those plug-in oil dipsticks as a cheap half-measure. My dad always kept his car plugged in during Indiana winters with one of those, since his car was stored in a 3-sided outdoor garage with no door. Probably better than nothing in your situation, although I agree with @honeybadger that the oil in the cooler would still be pretty cold initially.

OP
OP

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
I did some light research on the subject and couldn't get a solid grasp of where the engine block heater was physically located for your 2018 5.0. Looks like some Coyote-based trucks have them in the front timing cover area and some in one of the freeze plugs in the block. Do you happen to remember where?

The concern I can initially see with a block heater on this car is the external oil cooler. Even if you warm up the coolant in the water jackets, you'll still have a substantial portion of cold oil in the external lines/cooler that is much cooler than the oil in the pan/block. Could be a bit rough on the engine at first, but maybe I am overthinking.

Side note, are you blocking off the air intake for the engine oil cooler? you likely don't even need that in these temps. What are your normal oil operating temps?
I was able to do some driving the last couple days in temperatures right around freezing. The oil temp seemed to stay between 160-170. I'm going to take your advice and block off the oil cooler air intake.

OP
OP

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Have you looked at engine blankets?
I know nothing about them but did find them while searching because of this thread. Also found heaters built specifically for this purpose.
I hate to say it but if I move to a cold weather climate, I’ll probably buy something else that I can enjoy all year.
Living in milder weather nearly my whole life has spoiled me. Spent a few years in northern Colorado in the ‘80’s but was focused so much on work and raising a family, I didn’t have time for fun cars.
Hard for me to wrap my head around winterizing cars and motorcycles and not use them for months at a time.
If the block heater doesn't pan out those engine blankets might be worth checking out. I had a Corvette that I would park all winter, but it drove me crazy knowing I couldn't drive it almost half the year. I figure I only live once, so I might as well drive a car I love, whenever I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
The 2020 GT350 Owner's Supplement says that 0w-40 oil is suitable for use when the temperature is below -7 C. That might help.
Thanks, I don't think the '17 supplement has that info

OP
OP

theshawnc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
You could also use one of those plug-in oil dipsticks as a cheap half-measure. My dad always kept his car plugged in during Indiana winters with one of those, since his car was stored in a 3-sided outdoor garage with no door. Probably better than nothing in your situation, although I agree with @honeybadger that the oil in the cooler would still be pretty cold initially.
I guess if the block heater doesn't work out I can look into that heated dipstick as an option. Thanks.
Sponsored