Beginner Mod Recommendations

JackMan2k1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hey guys! I have a totally stock 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium (aside from hood struts). I was wondering what mods I should get as a beginner, as well as ones to help increase the longevity and efficiency of the car. I live in southwest Florida. (I think a photo of my car is included in this post)

I already had some mods in mind: cvfab race intercooler, drop-in air filter, pro tune by PD Tuning with Accessport, Steeda "Stop the Hop" starter kit, Steeda NHRA legal driveshaft safety loop, and snell rated helmet (for drag racing since it is required at the 1/4 mile), NGK 6510 Iridium spark plugs, replacements for the Fuel injector pressure sensor and Fuel vapor hose, and a UPR catch can with a billet pro series check valve and drain line kit. I would have a local shop called AutoMafiaRacing install these parts and use their dyno with PDTuning to tune my car.

As for my reasoning, I figured the intercooler and tune would be good because my car would be able to drag race more without heat soak. I know that I sometimes get wheel hop when drag racing at any RPM, so I figured I should get the steeda to stop the hop kit so I don't break my car. Also, since I haven't replaced my spark plugs since I got it at 12,333 miles I figured it'd be a good thing to do. I've heard that sometimes catastrophic engine failure or "Ecoboom" might happen if I don't replace the fuel injector pressure sensor and vapor hose. I also figured the catch can would be good since most people recommend it for one of the first mods along with an intercooler and tune.

Also, I still have my stock 235/50R/18 Goodyear F1 asymmetric all-seasons and 18x8 rims. I also do NOT have the performance pack. I have the premium 301A pack with the digital dash.

I go to a local 1/8 mile drag strip called Immokalee Regional Raceway on most Fridays, and during the summer I usually go to Bradenton Motorsports Park (1/4 mile).

Are there any other mod recommendations that you guys have or anything on this list I should replace? It's my daily driver now, and I don't want to break it. Also, I know my Ford CPO 7yr/100k mile warranty might be voided by doing this but I really want to make the car safer and better to drive.

D594DDDF-0455-46F0-B0B0-AF19D00C29E5.JPG
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My suggestion would be the stop the hop kit and some seriously upgraded wheels and rubber before you do power added mods.

OP
OP

JackMan2k1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
My suggestion would be the stop the hop kit and some seriously upgraded wheels and rubber before you do power added mods.
I was thinking about getting some new wheels and tires. Right now I don't have room for extra wheels and tires, but I will next year. I live in Florida and it rains about every 3 days here, so I need a tire that will perform well in the rain (obviously I wouldn't be flooring it or even going fast in the rain), as well as in the dry. Do you have any recommendations?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I was thinking about getting some new wheels and tires. Right now I don't have room for extra wheels and tires, but I will next year. I live in Florida and it rains about every 3 days here, so I need a tire that will perform well in the rain (obviously I wouldn't be flooring it or even going fast in the rain), as well as in the dry. Do you have any recommendations?
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Check the ratings on Tire Rack.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
By the way, your build plan looks pretty solid. The only thing I could add is get the CVF catted downtube before the custom tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JackMan2k1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
By the way, your build plan looks pretty solid. The only thing I could add is get the CVF catted downtube before the custom tune.
Gotcha! Thanks. I was unsure if I would get it because I know some downpipes throw a check engine light. Also yeah the Pilot Sport 4s seem to be rated well.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I figured the intercooler and tune would be good because my car would be able to drag race more without heat soak.
rubbish and here's why. The intercooler only works when you have air-flowing thru it. Unless you are circulating the paddock right up to the moment you do your burn out and stage your IAT will be very high. My Wagner race IC would reliably keep the IAT at <9F above ambient but ONLY when moving at 25+ mph. The Ford IC is a piece of crap but an upgrade doesn't help unless you have air-flow.

I know that I sometimes get wheel hop when drag racing at any RPM, so I figured I should get the steeda to stop the hop kit so I don't break my car.
Stop the hop or BMR's IRS lockouts absolutely. But you MUST also address the Diff mounting. Either get the BMR/Steeda/Lethal upgraded Diff Bolt package if nothing else for the inserts. Or better, the Whiteline diff bushings that completely replace the utter shite that Ford uses.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha! Thanks. I was unsure if I would get it because I know some downpipes throw a check engine light. Also yeah the Pilot Sport 4s seem to be rated well.
No codes are thrown if you install a $9 extension to the O2 sensor port.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
What's the product name for the O2 sensor extension, or where can I buy it?

Go with what the Chef said. I have seen his build.

CVCashmere

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
What's the product name for the O2 sensor extension, or where can I buy it?
I was going to post the Amazon link but it expired but Jason with CVF can hook you up with a part #.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
First, define your goals. Then you can worry about how to proceed.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My goal is to get the car to 310ish WHP, and make it safer for daily driving and on the drag strip.
Your engine mod ideas + a catted downpipe should hit the power numbers with no issue. Good tires (Michelin are good, but expensive. Firestone Indy's are also popular) are always a positive. The Steeda kit you mentioned should help hook up off the line and won't change ride.

In general, I think there's a lot of good ideas here, you just have to think about how far you want to go down the bunny hole.
Sponsored