Sponsored

TRACK BATTLE - 2020 GT500 CFTP vs GT350R RACE CAR!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There are plenty of people that daily drive them both the R and the 500. What’s wrong with daily driving the car? These cars are meant to be driven. Sounds like you don’t drive them enough. Not sure why you have such a hard time figuring out why I want the R? I love mustangs this will be my 6th mustang that I will own and I’m excited to get it. Also in the process of building a new garage too that it will go nicely in.
Meant to be driven like they were designed to be driven? Or just meant to be driven? Again that explains why the 500 wasn't for you. I'm going to go out on a limb, the R won't be for you either.

Anyway, enjoy your R and doing whatever you do with it. Its a shame they don't make the back seat kits anymore.
Sponsored

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
Meant to be driven like they were designed to be driven? Or just meant to be driven? Again that explains why the 500 wasn't for you. I'm going to go out on a limb, the R won't be for you either.

Anyway, enjoy your R and doing whatever you do with it. Its a shame they don't make the back seat kits anymore.
The dealership I got the 500 had a 2019 GT350 and almost got it instead of the 500 as I really enjoyed how it drove but I would’ve wondered how the 500 drove so I didn’t go through with it. Regardless water under the bridge I came out ahead on my sale of the 500 and have a deposit down on the 350R just hoping to get a VIN soon on it. Enjoy your 500 and I’ll enjoy my 350R.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have to go to the side of you CAN DD an R. When I first got mine, I purchased the normal 350 splitter for it and really never rubbed it. Now realize.....it takes some effort to scope out where you are going...definitely a little more work and paying attention. In a way, it keeps the car from JUST being an a-b car, as you're always involved. ;) I also live in very flat Florida...which helps on most driveways. I really enjoyed driving the R on the street - you could feel that it wanted to do so much more which was a little fun and frustrating at the same time, being the high-strung machine that it is.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I have to go to the side of you CAN DD an R. When I first got mine, I purchased the normal 350 splitter for it and really never rubbed it. Now realize.....it takes some effort to scope out where you are going...definitely a little more work and paying attention. In a way, it keeps the car from JUST being an a-b car, as you're always involved. ;) I also live in very flat Florida...which helps on most driveways. I really enjoyed driving the R on the street - you could feel that it wanted to do so much more which was a little fun and frustrating at the same time, being the high-strung machine that it is.
I get that. It's a great way to enjoy driving a track car every day even though you can't hit its limits every day. It also gets you more calibrated to the feel of the car for when track day comes. It's still seat time, just much slower.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Sure you could, but IMHO, it wasn't designed or conceptualized to be a daily driver. It was designed to be the most track focused GT350 out of the box. You can DD a Porsche GT2RS. Would I? No. You can DD an R, but it is not a practical car for that purpose and it wasn't designed to be a DD. I'd put it in the garage and take it out for performance driving and have my GT or ecoboost with all the DD creature comforts that a car like that should have. First, the wheels are a blessing and a curse. They can be damaged easily with rock between the caliper and drum. They can be stolen. Repair is a pain in the ass. There is one guy who I know who does this and I would avoid that process at all costs if I were to do it again. That is the reason my Rs have Signature street wheels. Lots of room in the caliper area and they can easily be repaired if damaged. Have to replace one? No problem, that is relatively cheap compared to the CF option. Then there is the wing. That is an 11K CF item. And then there is the Spite factor. Lets face it, people suck. People don't care about your car and there are some who hate you for having it. I have read so many stories where a guy parks his car and comes back to find damage. And to be honest, I wouldn't park my car anywhere out of my sight without it bothering me.

I know you drove yours with CF wheels on the street. That's fine. If you can afford to deal with damaged wheels after the fact, you get to truly enjoy the car as it was designed. Except the car was designed to be a track car...... Each time you roll those wheels down the street you take a chance on damage. And then there is the fact that the Cup 2s are high wear items. You will be replacing those tires every 5-10K miles. I'm sure you can relate to the fact that each time you change your tires, you take a chance on damaging your wheels. Say it aint so.

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Sure you could, but IMHO, it wasn't designed or conceptualized to be a daily driver. It was designed to be the most track focused GT350 out of the box. You can DD a Porsche GT2RS. Would I? No. You can DD an R, but it is not a practical car for that purpose and it wasn't designed to be a DD. I'd put it in the garage and take it out for performance driving and have my GT or ecoboost with all the DD creature comforts that a car like that should have. First, the wheels are a blessing and a curse. They can be damaged easily with rock between the caliper and drum. They can be stolen. Repair is a pain in the ass. There is one guy who I know who does this and I would avoid that process at all costs if I were to do it again. That is the reason my Rs have Signature street wheels. Lots of room in the caliper area and they can easily be repaired if damaged. Have to replace one? No problem, that is relatively cheap compared to the CF option. Then there is the wing. That is an 11K CF item. And then there is the Spite factor. Lets face it, people suck. People don't care about your car and there are some who hate you for having it. I have read so many stories where a guy parks his car and comes back to find damage. And to be honest, I wouldn't park my car anywhere out of my sight without it bothering me.

I know you drove yours with CF wheels on the street. That's fine. If you can afford to deal with damaged wheels after the fact, you get to truly enjoy the car as it was designed. Except the car was designed to be a track car...... Each time you roll those wheels down the street you take a chance on damage. And then there is the fact that the Cup 2s are high wear items. You will be replacing those tires every 5-10K miles. I'm sure you can relate to the fact that each time you change your tires, you take a chance on damaging your wheels. Say it aint so.
Damn truth about the spite factor!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Damn truth about the spite factor!
They see you in your car. Then they look over their shoulder and look at their beat up Honda civic, with a bitch of a wife, a bunch of kids who cant behave, and then think of the crap job they have. They hate their life and they will take it out on your car. It has happened.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

The truth is - If you pay for a car; drive it when you want to, where you want to, how you want to and with what tires you want to. Under-driving a car is not a sin and if the owner enjoys it, so what if the car is capable of so much more? The amount of risk someone wants to take is up to them.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The truth is - If you pay for a car; drive it when you want to, where you want to, how you want to and with what tires you want to. Under-driving a car is not a sin and if the owner enjoys it, so what if the car is capable of so much more? The amount of risk someone wants to take is up to them.
I agree with that.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
They see you in your car. Then they look over their shoulder and look at their beat up Honda civic, with a bitch of a wife, a bunch of kids who cant behave, and then think of the crap job they have. They hate their life and they will take it out on your car. It has happened.
No doubt. There's a guy on the ZL1 forum with a ZLE. Went in to a store, came out with the front dive planes kicked off. People are sick to say the least.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Jeff, appreciate your well stated comments with respect to being to daily drive an R model if anyone chooses to go that route. Also hope that you might get a chance to drive a 2020 R and suggest that you will be quite impressed with the improvements over the previous model years.

I have a great friend up in Canada who purchased a very early 2016 R model (GR038??) and he not only tracked it regularly but it was a daily driver as well and he had a great time with his car and put a lot of miles on it each year without incident. Of course after 3 years he said that he was looking at a new paint job (SB) because of all the track time on it.

Having put on many miles on some 2015 GT350's and also many miles on my previous 3 R models and now some miles on my 2020 R the biggest limiting and concerning factor as you so correctly indicated is the front chin spoiler when it comes to driving an R model on the street on a regular basis.

After putting a great deal of miles on those 2015 GT350's I found that I did not have to be so cognizant of the route that I took going from one point to another compared to driving one of my R models and that was always somewhat of a relief all due to the front chin spoiler.

For various reasons I have chosen up to this point to not have installed the front chin spoiler on my 2020 R and what a world of difference it is when it comes to going from A to B as you certainly well know.

If I was going to make my 2020 R a daily driver I suggest that I would take your lead and purchase a regular GT350 front chin spoiler and have it installed as that would certainly take away a great deal of stress, effort and decision making with respect to daily driving an R model on most all roads in this great country.

Let me add for those of you such as Jason and possibly others who may choose to make your 2020 R model a daily driver, I can tell you without question that the 2020 R is certainly the most refined R model over the last 6 MY's and if I was ever going to make an R model a daily driver certainly the 2020 R would be the best choice despite whether anyone changed up their front chin spoiler or not.

:sunglasses:

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Jeff, appreciate your well stated comments with respect to being to daily drive an R model if anyone chooses to go that route. Also hope that you might get a chance to drive a 2020 R and suggest that you will be quite impressed with the improvements over the previous model years.

I have a great friend up in Canada who purchased a very early 2016 R model (GR038??) and he not only tracked it regularly but it was a daily driver as well and he had a great time with his car and put a lot of miles on it each year without incident. Of course after 3 years he said that he was looking at a new paint job (SB) because of all the track time on it.

Having put on many miles on some 2015 GT350's and also many miles on my previous 3 R models and now some miles on my 2020 R the biggest limiting and concerning factor as you so correctly indicated is the front chin spoiler when it comes to driving an R model on the street on a regular basis.

After putting a great deal of miles on those 2015 GT350's I found that I did not have to be so cognizant of the route that I took going from one point to another compared to driving one of my R models and that was always somewhat of a relief all due to the front chin spoiler.

For various reasons I have chosen up to this point to not have installed the front chin spoiler on my 2020 R and what a world of difference it is when it comes to going from A to B as you certainly well know.

If I was going to make my 2020 R a daily driver I suggest that I would take your lead and purchase a regular GT350 front chin spoiler and have it installed as that would certainly take away a great deal of stress, effort and decision making with respect to daily driving an R model on most all roads in this great country.

Let me add for those of you such as Jason and possibly others who may choose to make your 2020 R model a daily driver, I can tell you without question that the 2020 R is certainly the most refined R model over the last 6 MY's and if I was ever going to make an R model a daily driver certainly the 2020 R would be the best choice despite whether anyone changed up their front chin spoiler or not.

Good to know about the 2020R. My cousin is interested in the 350s (to start tracking with me), so I'll suggest it to him.

Weee500

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I DD my car. Love it. Obviously I’m saving my pennies to buy a truck this winter sometime. But since I’m overseas a lot, it’s just easier to rent a truck to trailer my car to the track. I get my camber set up for the track at a local buddies shop for free, then when I get home I get my street setup back. Obviously it’s not an ideal DD, but it’s so fun. When I can afford a proper tow rig, I’ll DD that. As of now I bought a $15k trailer before a truck
C7D3B5F2-24BF-42B0-91A9-CFFDC779AEBF.jpeg

DC0E2A11-8F50-4259-88A3-34A82FEEE750.jpeg
FD21F358-975B-4EEC-B6BB-3E94F09CE15C.jpeg

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R

IMHO, driving a 350 or 350R without a front splitter is risking substantial damage to the
underside of the car in the event you hit anything or contacted some flying road debris,
or even an animal.
Just my 2 cents, I view the front splitter as a wear item and would rather replace one
than risk damaging the car without one.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
IMHO, driving a 350 or 350R without a front splitter is risking substantial damage to the
underside of the car in the event you hit anything or contacted some flying road debris,
or even an animal.
Just my 2 cents, I view the front splitter as a wear item and would rather replace one
than risk damaging the car without one.
That’s why I installed a fiberglass knock-off splitter 4 years ago. It takes a beating and it’s all scratched up. But I don’t care. The nice plastic one is on a shelf.
Sponsored