Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
UPDATE:

Track‑focussed Mustang Mach 1 launched at SpeedWeek

ford-mustang-mach-1-goodwood-16102020.jpg

Among all the high performance icons blasting around the Motor Circuit for SpeedWeek presented by Mastercard is one that’s not only new to us but new to all of Europe – not that you would think so because it is such a familiar and storied name. It’s the Ford Mustang Mach 1, a fast Ford that first appeared Stateside in 1969 but which has never officially been offered here before. Until now.

Whatever you do, do not confuse this with the Mustang Mach E, the all-electric SUV. This is a very different kind of pony car. The Mustang Mach 1 – the first new one in 17 years – is very much a homage to the fastback-styled, whitewall-tyred, black bonnet-humped original, such a fast-car staple from US films and TV shows of the 1970s. You can hear the booming V8 and see the tyre smoke just thinking about it.

The new Mach 1 makes its European debut at Goodwood and goes on sale in the UK next year, at prices to be confirmed but tipped to be around £50,000. It will be a limited edition model with a strong track emphasis, and the first time that Ford of Europe has offered a go-faster hero Mustang in the mould of the US market Shelby GT350 and GT500, models with which the new Mach 1 shares components.

ford-mustang-mach-1-engine-goodwood-16102020.jpg

The Mach 1 gets the power – 460PS from a tweaked version of the 5.0-litre V8 – the aero and the handling from a bespoke suspension set-up to be the most capable Mustang ever offered in Europe, on road or track, says Ford. On a circuit, it is said to be the fastest production Mustang ever offered.

This new track ability centres on a first-time offered (in Europe) six-speed manual gearbox plus limited-slip diff, uprated engine cooling and sharper steering. Downforce is said to be boosted by 22 per cent thanks to new front splitter, longer undertray, the rear diffuser from the Shelby GT500 and a rear spoiler.

ford-mustang-mach-1-price-specification-goodwood-16102020.jpg

The suspension makeover aso looks to US-market Shelby models for inspiration, inheriting their subframes, recalibrated electric assisted steering and suspension links. The Mach 1 also gets MagneRide dampers and stiffer front springs and anti-roll bars. Wheels? No, not wide chromed steelies any more but five-spoke 19-inch alloys, shod with track-ready Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.

In the form for the Mach 1 the 5.0-litre V8 delivers 460PS at 7,500rpm. There are Shelby Mustangs available in the States with more power than that, but with the induction system, among other components, taken from the GT350 plus unique exhaust tips, the new car is definitely odds on to maintain the V8 Mustang’s reputation for top notch engine sound – as visitors to SpeedWeek will attest. Torque peaks at 529Nm (391lb ft) at 4,600rpm. No performance figures are so far available.

ford-mustang-mach-1-tremec-manual-gearbox-goodwood-16102020.jpg

The TREMEC manual ‘box, also from the GT350, offers automatic rev-matching on downshifts and also the ability for upchanges to be punched through without lifting off. As well as this manual box, UK buyers will be able to order a Mach 1 with 10-speed torque converter automatic.

Just as with the 1969-inroduced first Mach 1, the new version for Europe is embellished with a variety of signature Mach 1 styling cues. It’s available with the fastback coupe body only and of course gets the bold stripes, unique wheels and – most important – the trademark black bonnet hump. A more aggressive look at the front end over other Mustangs is achieved by a new gloss black two-piece grille.

ford-mustang-mach-1-interior-goodwood-16102020.jpg

Some pretty outlandish colour combinations are available, maintaining another Mach 1 tradition. There are eight combos of paint and stripes available – with names like Velocity Blue, Twister Orange and Grabber Yellow.

“The Mach 1 not only looks the part, but has the hardware to deliver on-track thrills and on-road driving pleasure,” says Matthias Tonn, Mustang Mach 1 chief programme engineer for Europe. “It’s the most exciting Mustang in Europe to date, and we are thrilled to be bringing the iconic Mach 1 name to Europe for the first time.”

And we’re thrilled to see it making its debut at Goodwood SpeedWeek. At last, we are getting the thoroughbred of all pony cars.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2020/10/track-focussed-mustang-mach-1-launched-at-speedweek/

REAL LIFE PHOTOS:

:sunglasses:
21MY Mach 1 Euro Spec RHD 3.jpg
21MY Mach 1 Euro Spec RHD 5.jpg
Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I said my facelift 18 was my last mustang i missed out on the Bullitt but i really want this Mach1.I hope it comes to the UK

phsc84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1 (2021)
It's not only RHD, but it's also a EU spec Mach 1 (big rear mirrors, white taillights). So chances are very good, that this could be a UK version.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It's not only RHD, but it's also a EU spec Mach 1 (big rear mirrors, white taillights). So chances are very good, that this could be a UK version.
Australia is currently the largest market for Mustangs outside the US. They are also a RHD country and they also have the larger mirrors and clear tails.......so there's no guarantee this is for the UK market. But if Ford are going to the lengths to produce it for other RHD countries, it only makes sense to import it to the UK

:)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Awesome find, since the files are called 4 and 5, do you have more pics? :thumbsup:

It seems like they reuse the 15-17 EU turn signal housings!?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Awesome find, since the files are called 4 and 5, do you have more pics? :thumbsup:

It seems like they reuse the 15-17 EU turn signal housings!?

No more pics, sorry. These are just cropped versions of the originals.

As for the turn signal housings, I believe they're from the GT350/GT500......not sure if those are exactly the same as the EU 15-17 units.

:)

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Well done!!!
How did you manage to crack the cone of silence set up by Ford's marketing knowledge prevention dept?

Putin might have a job for you??

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone get a photo of the window sticker? I wonder what options are on the rhd car???

Sponsored

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
No handling package for export markets?
I was looking forward to order a Fighter Jet Grey Mach 1 next year...

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Nobody knows for sure at this moment, but it's a pretty safe guess that the handling package might not be coming to europe when looking at what they did to the last models (e.g. nor offering the performance rear axle ratio in manuals, not offering PP2, etc).

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Even if we don't get the Handling Package, you can still get a Fighter Jet Grey Mach 1..........FJG is part of the Appearance Package, not the Handling Package :like:

Assuming we get the option of the Appearance Package!

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
As far as I understand it the UK and Australia cars are exactly the same spec. Same larger mirrors, clear tails and the Australians even get the black underseal sprayed underneath their cars that we get for our colder UK climate.

Anyway, so the Mach 1 is going to basically just be an appearance package like the Bullitt was for export markets. Not anything actually performance related minus the intake bits for 10hp. I also bet the export Mach 1 will still have the MT-82 due to strict emissions and economy requirements and the need to re-homologate every single new spec in Europe. Every single stupid option down to different interior trim stitching requires an expense to homologate and get type approved for sale.

The handling pack and associated wheels and coolers would have sealed the deal for someone like me that is a little bit frustrated with my 19 GT and its lack of track day capabilities.

If there cars don't get the handling pack aero I can live with that, so long as the Tremec and oil, trans and diff coolers are on the export Mach 1. Bit of a pipe dream I guess though since so far they have just made derivatives of the GT PP1 minus the Torsen diff for export markets.

Last edited:

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
has anyone seen an authorative source yet that confirms the Mach 1 will be built in rhd for export markets (and that photo of the yellow green one is not an authorative source)
Sponsored