Sponsored

GT350 Engine Concerns...

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The GT350 is amazing!!!! Always been my dream car.
BUT this damn engine failure thing is killing my thoughts of getting one... I have a 2016 GT (Magnetic Metallic)
Maybe you guys can shed some light on the GT350 Engine concerns?
My choices are in order:
1st- 2018 Lead Foot Gray.
2nd-2017 Grabber Blue
3rd-2019 Magnetic Metallic
Between the 2017-2019, is there a best year option for best motor reliability, better options, etc., or just find my favorite color and go with it? I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Sponsored

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have no concerns or worry about my engine. My dealer supports a lifetime powertrain warranty (well technically million mile/hundred year) for this car anyway. Don't mod the power train and your fine. Don't put non-recommended fuel in it. Engine problems can happen to any car, but seems very rare here. Remember, you don't hear much from the vast majority that never have an issue. No reason to post "hey it's all great here!".

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The GT350 is amazing!!!! Always been my dream car.
BUT this damn engine failure thing is killing my thoughts of getting one... I have a 2016 GT (Magnetic Metallic)
Maybe you guys can shed some light on the GT350 Engine concerns?
My choices are in order:
1st- 2018 Lead Foot Gray.
2nd-2017 Grabber Blue
3rd-2019 Magnetic Metallic
Between the 2017-2019, is there a best year option for best motor reliability, better options, etc., or just find my favorite color and go with it? I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Find a color and deal that fits what you want. Words will not describe the joy you will get after purchasing one. I know everyone says this, but there is no feeling like hitting a 8,250 redline and being able to take corners like they are nothing. As far as the engine I have a 19 with 0 issues after 3000 miles. There were updates to 19 model year which can be found above in the stickied threads that explain the differences. These are handbuilt race engines and when you actually look at the number of failures compared to how many built it is literally a very very minute percentage and even then Ford replaces them no problem. Hell I had a friend with an Ecoboost F150 that had catastrophic failure after a 1000 miles I don't see countless threads on that. Find the color you want and the top amount you want to pay and go from there and decide if the 19 updates are worth it or not. Look forward to a future thread where you say this is my new GT350.

OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Find a color and deal that fits what you want. Words will not describe the joy you will get after purchasing one. I know everyone says this, but there is no feeling like hitting a 8,250 redline and being able to take corners like they are nothing. As far as the engine I have a 19 with 0 issues after 3000 miles. There were updates to 19 model year which can be found above in the stickied threads that explain the differences. These are handbuilt race engines and when you actually look at the number of failures compared to how many built it is literally a very very minute percentage and even then Ford replaces them no problem. Hell I had a friend with an Ecoboost F150 that had catastrophic failure after a 1000 miles I don't see countless threads on that. Find the color you want and the top amount you want to pay and go from there and decide if the 19 updates are worth it or not. Look forward to a future thread where you say this is my new GT350.
I can’t agree more! I’ve driven a few 16s and 17s and for me it’s a mind blowing experience. (I still love my GT but.... it’s just not a GT350) ‍

Sponsored

OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have no concerns or worry about my engine. My dealer supports a lifetime powertrain warranty (well technically million mile/hundred year) for this car anyway. Don't mod the power train and your fine. Don't put non-recommended fuel in it. Engine problems can happen to any car, but seems very rare here. Remember, you don't hear much from the vast majority that never have an issue. No reason to post "hey it's all great here!".
I hear you... but does everybody really just leave these cars alone and 100% stock? I’ve promised myself with every mustang I’ve had, ok no mods this time! yeah whatever...

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Wow, agreed. Engine issue is no different than any other manufacture... BMW/Audi/Porsche...... Buy it drive it and enjoy it. I purchased my 2016 used in 2019 and the original owner reached out to me to talk in 2020..... Don't believe the hipe. The car is awesome in all regards!

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
...or just find my favorite color and go with it? I appreciate your input. Thanks.
When I was purchasing my GT350, I call my wife to tell here that I'm buying a new car. She didn't know before me calling. The first question she asked - what is the color :)

OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When I was purchasing my GT350, I call my wife to tell here that I'm buying a new car. She didn't know before me calling. The first question she asked - what is the color :)
My first choice is Lead foot Gray. Insane color. I also love Grabber Blue, but wifey isn’t a fan.:cwl:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I hear you... but does everybody really just leave these cars alone and 100% stock? I’ve promised myself with every mustang I’ve had, ok no mods this time! yeah whatever...
Recommend you just don't touch the engine, at all. This is the first car I've actually modded in my life, because it's the only one I've owned that's worthy of mods even though I've had new cars for the past 10 years. I've only done basic things like a set of forged wheels, raceseng shift knob, and minor cosmetic mods like adding color to the stock emblems, tint, etc. After 4 years, I think I am finally done now that I've added a CF spoiler that I've wanted since the early ownership days.

Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
2016 and early 2017 models have a different style of oil filter. Early version was fine if torqued correctly but it seemed that was a source of failure due to no one RTFM. Not sure if the 2017 you are looking at has the canister style or not but might factor into your buying decision

OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Recommend you just don't touch the engine, at all. This is the first car I've actually modded in my life, because it's the only one I've owned that's worthy of mods even though I've had new cars for the past 10 years. I've only done basic things like a set of forged wheels, raceseng shift knob, and minor cosmetic mods like adding color to the stock emblems, tint, etc. After 4 years, I think I am finally done now that I've added a CF spoiler that I've wanted since the early ownership days.
Also why I want this car so much. The suspension is ✅ the power is ✅ sexy lines ✅ I agree, aside from the minor cosmetic touches, the car needs nothing. Maybe a minor exhaust tweak, but I don’t know. I haven’t heard any.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Also why I want this car so much. The suspension is ✅ the power is ✅ sexy lines ✅ I agree, aside from the minor cosmetic touches, the car needs nothing. Maybe a minor exhaust tweak, but I don’t know. I haven’t heard any.
In my honest opinion, the stock exhaust is one of the best of any cars out there. All you have to do is either buy a replacement X-pipe that also deletes the resonator, or just take it to your local exhaust shop to cut out the resonators and weld in a straight pipe for like $100 and you'll be very satisfied. It's pretty much a mandatory thing most of the GT350 owners do.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
In my honest opinion, the stock exhaust is one of the best of any cars out there. All you have to do is either buy a replacement X-pipe that also deletes the resonator, or just take it to your local exhaust shop to cut out the resonators and weld in a straight pipe for like $100 and you'll be very satisfied. It's pretty much a mandatory thing most of the GT350 owners do.
I don't know I'm an old fart(75) and had both a 16 and 17 new. And in sport mode I haven't heard that good of exhaust since back in the 60's with glasspacks on those big block V8's. I'm not so sure the stock Shelby GT 350 didn't sound a little deeper tone. I've read on here (don't know if true that without the resonators its a bit raspy). I'd say leave the exhaust alone!

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
You’ll be kicking yourself if you don’t own one of these fantastic cars. C & D greatest of all time list.
Sponsored