Sponsored

2018 GT350 Driving Impressions - possible concerns

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I've had my 2018 GT350 for 2 months now, got the car second hand at 1.3K miles, now we are at 2K. Just got and oil change at Ford and also got it inspected, no issues - no mods before. While I love the car for the beast it is, I might have couple concerns as below - hoping other experienced owners might shed some light on these. The car is being driven almost daily, I work from home most of the times. Not tracking the car, no mods other than passenger oil separator (a must) and clutch spring, it's mostly for daily spirited driving.

1. Manual transmission feels great, I really missed driving a manual. While the Tremec feels mechanical and nice, I find the 1st gear a little worrying. I feel like I really need to almost jam it in gear, and even in the beginning, I even had the shifter pop back once or twice because apparently I did not put it all the way in. Not a noob manual transmission driver, I've driven plenty of manual cars in my life and engage the clutch all the way in too. Also sometimes, I can feel a 'thunk' feeling when put in first gear, like the car does a slight bump-shake. Should these first gear feelings be a concern?

2. The power delivery sometimes is a little bumpy. What I mean is, under light to moderate load, sometimes the car feels like slightly hesitating to put the power down. I feel slight shake when accelerating, very intermittent. Most of the time this is not happening, and under good load and relative speeds, I don't feel this but daily driving - 2nd and 3rd gear, sometimes feel the hesitation. Not having driven a Mustang or muscle car before, again, should this be a concern I need to look into?

Thank you all for your input. For all possible responses, I'm not a young noob driver, have driven plenty of manuals, but new to the beast and muscle-sports car the GT350 is.
Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would take it to a dealer and recreate the issue. You said you have the clutch fully engaged, so should not be issue there.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The first gear thing happens to quite a few people, happened to me early on but cleared up as I drove it more. You do have to manhandle this trans a bit, but it will smooth out the more you drive it. 1st gear has been fine for me now for the last 25,000 miles.
As for the hesitation, have the dealer check it out. There is a TSB for another issue where the computer gets an update and everyone that has had it done says it helps the engine noticeably.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Where in the "Dirty South" are you? Are you friends with any other GT350 owners in your area? If so might want to do a comparison and see if their car feels different with items 1 and 2 you mentioned. Simpler than taking it to the dealer and trying to replicate or explain what you're feeling to the uninitiated.

OP
OP
UXXR

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I would take it to a dealer and recreate the issue. You said you have the clutch fully engaged, so should not be issue there.
Before taking it to the dealer, I wanted to see what other owners experience, and even these are just 'normal' or any potential concern.

The first gear thing happens to quite a few people, happened to me early on but cleared up as I drove it more. You do have to manhandle this trans a bit, but it will smooth out the more you drive it. 1st gear has been fine for me now for the last 25,000 miles.
As for the hesitation, have the dealer check it out. There is a TSB for another issue where the computer gets an update and everyone that has had it done says it helps the engine noticeably.
thank you! The first gear feedback is exactly why I wanted to post here. I'd still appreciate other feedback but your comment made me feel a little less worried.
Can you elaborate on the TSB, and what does it stand for exactly?

Where in the "Dirty South" are you? Are you friends with any other GT350 owners in your area? If so might want to do a comparison and see if their car feels different with items 1 and 2 you mentioned. Simpler than taking it to the dealer and trying to replicate or explain what you're feeling to the uninitiated.
I'm in North Lousiana, small city. I have not seen any other GT350s around. Do not know anyone owning it unfortunately. But it would be good idea, I even thought maybe I should go and test drive another one at the dealer but none of the dealers around have one in stock at the moment.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I would take it to more than 1 dealer to recreate and at least document , emphasis on more than 1 dealer :)

Lets be honest here, this ain't Porsche so absent a catastrophic failure that they clearly have to cover with warranty, expect to get some pushback and be told "sports cars like this". Hence the more than 1 (or 3) dealer visits to get multiple opinions.

Good luck.

OP
OP
UXXR

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I would take it to more than 1 dealer to recreate and at least document , emphasis on more than 1 dealer :)

Lets be honest here, this ain't Porsche so absent a catastrophic failure that they clearly have to cover with warranty, expect to get some pushback and be told "sports cars like this". Hence the more than 1 (or 3) dealer visits to get multiple opinions.

Good luck.
I just might do that too, I have 4 dealers fairly close by (30 mins radius).
thanks,

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Mine will jump out of first gear on occasion. I am just in the habit of putting it into first gear and holding it there with my hand until the car is underway. To me it is not a big issue.

GT350Obsession

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
K0963 2019 GT350 RR, Black Roof
@UXXR there seem to be quite a few on the forum who might recommend the MGW shifter to improve the overall feel.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Another one that used to not stay in first gear occasionally. Learned to pay attention to shifting into first and if the travel seemed abbreviated, press it harder or go back to neutral and re-engage first. Now, with 10k miles I haven’t noticed it happening in a long time. I also have the occasionL bump when engaging first and have heard many others discussing it. Many theories but not sure if definitive answer has been found. Probably some play being taken up in the clutch assembly or driveshaft.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I would say that even though you’re an expert at driving manual transmission what I’ve seen is that different manual transmissions offer different driving experiences. For instance I own both a GT 350R and a PP2 Mustang. Both have a completely different feel in the transmission department. Sticking it in the first gear in both cars you will hear a clunk as that’s everything in the system tensing up as you’ve placed it into gear from neutral. That’s normal. The kick out, I believe is just a difference of transmissions that you’re currently used to. As others have mentioned, you have you manhandle it. Once I learned how to drive this particular transmission I eliminated the shifter popping out. Also just to point out how different transmissions can feel is that when I jump into the PP2, I am not as smooth for the first couple of days because I’m driving it like I would drive my GT350R and the clutch and transmission doesn’t appreciate that because the clutch feel, engagement, and shifter is different. I have to adjust the way I drive to get a better experience.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have embarrassingly grinding my 1st gear before in such a way. Pull it into 2nd, then back into 1st. But I've never had a PROBLEM with the trans per say. Just a quirk. As far as power delivery, Normal mode is very soft on throttle response so depending on the transition and airflow (which you can't control), it could feel a little choppy at times.

OP
OP
UXXR

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Mine will jump out of first gear on occasion. I am just in the habit of putting it into first gear and holding it there with my hand until the car is underway. To me it is not a big issue.
This is the reason I posted. Glad to see it's not just me, it's not an "issue". thank you

I have embarrassingly grinding my 1st gear before in such a way. Pull it into 2nd, then back into 1st. But I've never had a PROBLEM with the trans per say. Just a quirk. As far as power delivery, Normal mode is very soft on throttle response so depending on the transition and airflow (which you can't control), it could feel a little choppy at times.
Normal mode - sport mode on throttle response is a good idea. I might try that for a while and see what's what. Thank you

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
The 1st gear thing seems to be fairly common. My 2017 did this when new but now seems gone, probably a combination of things wearing in and me getting used to shoving it firmly in gear.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Can you elaborate on the TSB, and what does it stand for exactly?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

TSBs applicable to the GT350 are linked in the GT350 Basics sticky.
Sponsored