Sponsored

Oh no, here comes the cylinder deactivation nonsense.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My 2013 Camaro SS had it and I hated it. The car made a farting sound when it came back into V8 mode lol. I had it tuned out and then ran V8 all of the time. The problem with tuning it out is you still have all of the mouse trap hardware in there things like collapsible lifters etc. that are more prone to failing. That said the car was fine all of the time I had it too so there is that. But one of the things that drew me to the Coyote was it was V8 24/7!
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My 2013 Camaro SS had it and I hated it. The car made a farting sound when it came back into V8 mode lol. I had it tuned out and then ran V8 all of the time. The problem with tuning it out is you still have all of the mouse trap hardware in there things like collapsible lifters etc. that are more prone to failing. That said the car was fine all of the time I had it too so there is that. But one of the things that drew me to the Coyote was it was V8 24/7!
BINGO!!!!
You got it brother. 100% correct.

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
Obama, what isn't he guilty of? Lol

/Sarcasm
He’s a douche bag. Just like every other politician.

As far as cylinder deactivation, it’s just annoying. My Ram had it and I always shut it off. I’m so glad my 2019 doesn’t have the Stop/start or CD.

Gbk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Everyone blaming Obama, but didn't Trump already offer to completely undo all the Obama auto policies and every single American manufacturer said no to Trump? Not only did they say no, they actually proposed further goals to be met....

Not to mention lots of other countries around the world are either setting far greater restrictions or even getting rid of gasoline vehicles completely in the next 30-50 years.

You boys better get used to the idea of electric cars because the American V8 is dying. So stop crying about cylinder deactivation because this is the price to pay to have a v8, it's either this or no V8 at all.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is disabled in my Avalanche. It's responsible for a lot of blown engines on Chevy's.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
Nothing to do with Obama !

Cylinder deactivation has been around for years and is present in a lot of European cars with no adverse effects. Ford have used it in their 3 cylinder Ecoboosts over here for 4 or 5 years and those engines are bullet proof.
In the 3 cylinder Ecoboosts, I believe Ford would just deactivate the fuel injector. It’s system didn’t actually deactivate the valves. I thought Ford’s approach was simpler and less likely to cause problems.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I really hope this doesn’t come to the mustang just like I hope start and stop doesn’t either. One of the best feelings of driving an American V8 is the car idleing at the red light. But I feel like that’s coming too. I think the ideal solution in order to meet whatever emissions policies are in effect is a smaller displacement V8 with turbos. You get the sound fuel economy and power with that without having to add in extra stuff.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sad, no fuel economy band aids is one thing I really appreciate about the Mustang. No stupid skip shift on the manual cars either. But, the future is going to be V8-less sooner than we all think, so we shouldn't cry and moan too much. As long as it gives them an excuse to keep making it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
smaller displacement V8 with turbos. You get the sound
Ohhhhh, no; you don't :D. And neither the same revs. THAT's the problem with turbos; they choke the engine's natural sound. Happens with Ferraris, Porsches, and all other engines. They'll never sound the same. I also bought the Mustang because it has no CD and ASS crap. And yes, I also believe the days of NA V8s are numbered. Glad I could grab one of the last great ones. Just hope I got a good one, and not one plagued with embarrassing noises like the infamous 'tick' :D.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would be afraid the engine would fail to start after shutting off. I wonder how often that happens.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GOOD NEWS BOYS, TRUMP SIGNED AN EXECUTIVE ORDER MANDATING FERD, CHEBBY AND FEEAT BRING BACK THE PUSHROD 5.0, TREE FIDDY AND 5.2/5.9L NOW THAT O-BAMA IS GONE.

AND LADA BRAND VEHICLES WILL START BEING BUILT AND SOLD, RIGHT HERE, IN AMERICA. THANKS TO STRATEGIC COLLU.. UH, PARTNERSHIP WITH VLADDY.

Sorry.. it’s early, but I couldn’t resist. I just lol’d at the Obama comments when cyl deactivation has been around prior to his administration as have stricter fuel economy regulations. This has been in motion for decades.

Anyway - on topic, I as well do not like the technology and from a consumer standpoint the potential for additional wear and failure is not worth the “savings” in fuel. Big vehicles will be inefficient until what’s powering them changes. It’s putting lipstick on a pig to throw cyl deactivation on a domestic V8 in the name of making it “efficient”. LS1 motors were pulling high 20’s MPG in the Vette and Camaro in the 90’s. No frills. Hard to carry that to a large vehicle though.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
My 2010 Silverado has that it’s called AFM Active Fuel Management. Basically destroys the motor over time by not using the 4 cylinders. It’s also sluggish

You can buy a tuner and disable that. I did.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I would be afraid the engine would fail to start after shutting off. I wonder how often that happens.
I have this on my wife's 18' Escape. Scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. A really strange feeling when your engine turns off as you come to a stop just before making a right turn through heavy traffic. Fortunately there is a on/off button on the dash which I use the second I start the car.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can't tell you how happy I am that I've ordered my Mustang just in time to dodge this bullet. I hate this kind of crap.
Sponsored