Sponsored

Oh no, here comes the cylinder deactivation nonsense.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I just read that Ford will be offering the 5.0 Coyote V-8 in the 2021 F-150 with the dreaded cylinder deactivation technology. Going from 8 to 4 cylinders yields a 1% improvement in fuel economy according to Ford. This mistake cannot be too far off for the Mustang Coyote as they share the same engines. Both GM and FCA have these system and are having multiple failures with high oil consumption and early premature wear. Many thanks to Obama and his team for creating this consumer fiasco for all. Hopefully this tech can be deactivated by the aftermarket when it arrives.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
It is a necessity when manufactures are held to an overall fuel efficiency number for their fleet of vehicles. I'd rather they do this than neuter the engine overall. Sure this tech may have had some issues, but it is just going to get better, just like all the emissions tech we have now. I don't see the big deal here. Also, I don't see how Obama has anything to do with this. Those regulations have been around forever.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I just read that Ford will be offering the 5.0 Coyote V-8 in the 2021 F-150 with the dreaded cylinder deactivation technology. Going from 8 to 4 cylinders yields a 1% improvement in fuel economy according to Ford. This mistake cannot be too far off for the Mustang Coyote as they share the same engines. Both GM and FCA have these system and are having multiple failures with high oil consumption and early premature wear. Many thanks to Obama and his team for creating this consumer fiasco for all. Hopefully this tech can be deactivated by the aftermarket when it arrives.
Nothing to do with Obama !

Cylinder deactivation has been around for years and is present in a lot of European cars with no adverse effects. Ford have used it in their 3 cylinder Ecoboosts over here for 4 or 5 years and those engines are bullet proof.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
You can tune it out on the Silverado with a tuner. I hated it on my 2016 Silverado.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
It is a necessity when manufactures are held to an overall fuel efficiency number for their fleet of vehicles. I'd rather they do this than neuter the engine overall. Sure this tech may have had some issues, but it is just going to get better, just like all the emissions tech we have now. I don't see the big deal here. Also, I don't see how Obama has anything to do with this. Those regulations have been around forever.
I'm all for advanced tech. Hell, imagine if they found a way to use leaded fuel again now that they're compression happy. But cylinder deactivation and the thing that shuts the engine off at stop lights are two I just don't like. Both systems directly trade engine health for emissions and fuel economy. Common sense would dictate that the cylinders that are "deactivated" would need to be on a rotation to reduce the effects (not eliminate) it. This, from my limited reading, wasn't even always done.

It's all actually a bit of a dichotomy. Cylinder deactivation saves fuel by not using it. Great on paper, I guess, but now the deactivated cylinders are going to have oil slipping passed the rings and any unburnt fuel just sitting in the chamber. Both can cause fowling of the plugs, at a minimum, which ruins the engines overall efficiency. As a direct result this reduces fuel economy and emissions. Direct injection helps with one of the issues, and rotating the shut off cylinders can help reduce the other, but that's about it. Consumers are just beta testers for all of this tech. Mary Sue, who has to take out a loan to pay for her vehicle, shouldn't be the one who suffers in the long run. But I guess that's just capitalism.

OP
OP

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The Obama Administration signed off on aggressive ever increasing fuel economy standards which are now ramping up giving us all of this poorly designed bandaid engineering. There is no concern with long term durability which is showing up in the GM and FCA fleet. Start / stop technology, cylinder deactivation, tiny turbo motors in heavy vehicles, are just some of the struggling tech trying to gain the last bit of fuel economy. The Trump Administration is trying to cut back the annual 5% increase to 2%+/- to give the manufacturers more runway to develop better technology. My 2018 GT A10 gets better fuel economy than my old 2006 GT A6 despite having 460 HP versus 300HP. Comes down to good engineering tech versus bad.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Obama, what isn't he guilty of? Lol

/Sarcasm

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
get the pop corn boys. this is gonna be a good one.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
The Obama Administration signed off on aggressive ever increasing fuel economy standards which are now ramping up giving us all of this poorly designed bandaid engineering. There is no concern with long term durability which is showing up in the GM and FCA fleet. Start / stop technology, cylinder deactivation, tiny turbo motors in heavy vehicles, are just some of the struggling tech trying to gain the last bit of fuel economy. The Trump Administration is trying to cut back the annual 5% increase to 2%+/- to give the manufacturers more runway to develop better technology. My 2018 GT A10 gets better fuel economy than my old 2006 GT A6 despite having 460 HP versus 300HP. Comes down to good engineering tech versus bad.
There's a politics thread if you feel the need to rant on a car forum.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Many thanks to Obama and his team for creating this consumer fiasco for all.
Obama was 19 years old when he and his team built the first Cadillac engine that did that in 1981. When I was 19, I was begging people to buy me beer.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Staying on point,
Yep. Don't like it, don't buy it. Or get a tune that deactivates the who shebang. Personally I wouldn't want a truck with a coyote. Not putting the 7.3L in the F150 was a huge fail on Fords part.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I have the MDS, (cylinder deactivation), on my '16 Ram Sport.
You want to talk about horrible??? lol I disable it as soon as I get into my truck EVERY SINGLE TIME! I cannot stand it. The only way to get rid of it on these Ram trucks is to buy a new PCM and the tune.
Sponsored