Sponsored

Seeking Octane Advice

DatAsuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
First post, howdy everyone! I'm the 2nd owner of a seemingly bone-stock Bullitt with 9k miles.

So the owners manual clearly designates 87 octane as a minimum requirement for the '19 Mustang Bullitt

However,

- The dealer I purchased it from said to use mid-grade for cleaner/better-quality gas
- At least one article online says that you will not hit advertised power/torque unless you run 93 Octane.

What do you run in your Bullitt and why? This is my daily driver, so I want to hit a balance of economy and proper maintenance, thanks!
Sponsored

Tukman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2020 pp2 Roush stage 2 Mustang GT/ 2019 Bullitt
First post, howdy everyone! I'm the 2nd owner of a seemingly bone-stock Bullitt with 9k miles.

So the owners manual clearly designates 87 octane as a minimum requirement for the '19 Mustang Bullitt

However,

- The dealer I purchased it from said to use mid-grade for cleaner/better-quality gas
- At least one article online says that you will not hit advertised power/torque unless you run 93 Octane.

What do you run in your Bullitt and why? This is my daily driver, so I want to hit a balance of economy and proper maintenance, thanks!
I use 94 octane here in Canada, it burns cleaner and cooler and hits the power/torque specs for the stock Bullitt. Itā€™s not my daily driver though,I have a 2017 GT for that

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm using premium now, but if gas keeps going up, might have to rethink that. Ha ha. I have to pay a whopping $0.60/gal extra for premium here, and it's only 91. I thought maybe the 2.xK rpm rattle was pinging due to regular gas, but it's not. Engine might function fine with regular, but I'm sure the engine likes premium much better. Will keep an eye on this thread and see what others say :).

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
only 98

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
As you're Down Under, your 98 is akin to 93 in the US.

The engine will run acceptably on 87, but it will pull the timing back to avoid knocking and you won't see the power that you would with a higher octane. Personally, I use 93, which is not available everywhere in the US.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I have seen this discussion on many boards and it seems it always comes to this answer, why pay a premium price for a vehicle to only use the cheaper gas. get a Costco or sams club membership and premium is closer to .2 or ,3 of what regular is. if you drive 12,000 miles a year and avg about 20 mpg and premium is .20 cents more expensive then its a whooping 120 bucks more for the whole year. even at .60 cents more its 360 for the year. for me that's a cheap piece of mind that the vehicle is running on the octane it was designed for not the one "it can" run on.

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I have seen this discussion on many boards and it seems it always comes to this answer, why pay a premium price for a vehicle to only use the cheaper gas. get a Costco or sams club membership and premium is closer to .2 or ,3 of what regular is. if you drive 12,000 miles a year and avg about 20 mpg and premium is .20 cents more expensive then its a whooping 120 bucks more for the whole year. even at .60 cents more its 360 for the year. for me that's a cheap piece of mind that the vehicle is running on the octane it was designed for not the one "it can" run on.
First, logical, math-based explanation Iā€™ve ever heard on this topic and Iā€™m shaking my head that I never thought of it this way. Yes, enjoying my Bullitt to its fullest potential is most certainly worth the extra $100-$300/year. Even at the high end, thatā€™s like 0.66% of the cost of the car. Sheā€™s certainly worth that ā€œtipā€ based on the great service she provides. :like:

Case closed.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
I run 91 because that's the highest available here in Nevada. I know what the manual says but you really don't want to run 87 in a 12:1 compression ratio engine. it will pull timing big time and you will notice the difference.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I can somewhat understand people who DD their car putting in the cheaper gas to save money, but why buy a performance car and then not want all of the performance. I put 91 in my 2.0 Escape because I want all the HP, so for my Bullitt, it's 94 here in Canada.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
I can somewhat understand people who DD their car putting in the cheaper gas to save money, but why buy a performance car and then not want all of the performance. I put 91 in my 2.0 Escape because I want all the HP, so for my Bullitt, it's 94 here in Canada.
Wish we had 94 for here in california. I dont get people who want to put low octane gas in a motor that needs hight octane to make the power

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I only use artisanal hand crafted fuel made by local monks who meticulously crack the hydrocarbons and carefully select only the finest droplets of fuel, inspecting each one individually for clarity, odor, taste before packaging the fuel with a secret recipe of additives rumored to include virgins tears for maximum top end lubrication. The fuel is transported in hand crafted casks, each one individually numbered with a certificate of authenticity, inside of which the dirty nasty ordinary air is removed and replaced with pure nitrogen that has been filtered through a filter woven from unicorn hair to ensure the product reaches you as God intended.

I would agree with most that for the couple hundred bucks a year extra whats the harm and if you can't or won't pay the extra then no harm in using 87, the car won't explode, it'll still be fully warrantied and you will still have fun. Lets face it, how often will the extra HP really make the difference in normal driving. If you are racing or having fun with mates you'll spend far more in lost economy red lining it in every gear than 87 v 93 will ever cost you.

But for me knowing that if I do bury my foot and I am wanting everything the engine can give ( at any time - commuting, red light racing, doing pulls down the highway or just because), then the price difference is negligible versus my total cost of ownership, so what the hell, you only live once.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I run 93. Gasoline is so much cheaper here in the last six months, since well before the pandemic, that I'm paying less to fill up my tank than I paid to put 87 in my V6 in 2012.

SD-Harley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K6752
I run 91 since that is the highest I can get here in California. Right now cost isn't a factor since gas prices have dropped so much but my plan is to keep it on 91 for the foreseeable future.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt

First, logical, math-based explanation Iā€™ve ever heard on this topic and Iā€™m shaking my head that I never thought of it this way. Yes, enjoying my Bullitt to its fullest potential is most certainly worth the extra $100-$300/year. Even at the high end, thatā€™s like 0.66% of the cost of the car. Sheā€™s certainly worth that ā€œtipā€ based on the great service she provides. :like:

Case closed.
However,

Hi - If you don't drive your car in the winter, take it off the road and drop all insurance except comprehensive. That will save a few hundred $s and will pay for a good portion your gas costs for the driving season... Bruce

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
I only use artisanal hand crafted fuel made by local monks who meticulously crack the hydrocarbons and carefully select only the finest droplets of fuel, inspecting each one individually for clarity, odor, taste before packaging the fuel with a secret recipe of additives rumored to include virgins tears for maximum top end lubrication. The fuel is transported in hand crafted casks, each one individually numbered with a certificate of authenticity, inside of which the dirty nasty ordinary air is removed and replaced with pure nitrogen that has been filtered through a filter woven from unicorn hair to ensure the product reaches you as God intended.
:crackup:
Sponsored