Super Soft Paint on GT 2019

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I got my 2019 Black GT with 200 miles on the clock and have noticed since owning a lot of spiderwebs, swirls and light scratches. I decided to invest in getting it properly detailed and a ceramic coat applied to keep it looking better for longer.

My detailer called me today to advise not to ceramic coat it. In his opinion the paint is the softest he has ever worked with on a car. "super super soft" as he put it and very thin in places. He says he has to be extra careful in polishing it and suggests whilst he could ceramic it and it would look great for a while it would soon mark up and would then be much harder to sort with the ceramic on.

He says he has rung a few other detailers for their opinions too and he has effectively talked himself out of a couple of hundred quid so I am minded to believe him.

I am absolutely gutted. :crying: Has anybody else on here experienced issues with the paint like this? Is this a Ford Mustang thing? If you look at my first post on this forum someone commented then on how bad the paint looked. I have never seen black paint so bad on all my previous 10 black cars.

Not sure what I am going to do to be honest. I am sure it will look fantastic for the short term when I get it back but sounds like it will be so easy to mark up.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hmmm, never heard of "thin" paint on the S550, at least not to the point where a detailer won't touch it. I know of dozens that have been successfully detailed.

With all due respect to your detailer, if it was only "a couple of hundred quid" I'd be rather cautious. A reputable detailer is likely to charge at least £600 for a paint correction followed by a ceramic coating. In fact, £7-800 would be more like it.

If the paint really is thin, I'd be worried it suffered accident damage and been poorly repaired.

I'd get a second opinion. I can highly recommend a detailer near Newbury (Reading) if you're interested.

OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hmmm, never heard of "thin" paint on the S550, at least not to the point where a detailer won't touch it. I know of dozens that have been successfully detailed.

With all due respect to your detailer, if it was only "a couple of hundred quid" I'd be rather cautious. A reputable detailer is likely to charge at least £600 for a paint correction followed by a ceramic coating. In fact, £7-800 would be more like it.

If the paint really is thin, I'd be worried it suffered accident damage and been poorly repaired.

I'd get a second opinion. I can highly recommend a detailer near Newbury (Reading) if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer. My mate is down that way and is already recommending his detailer too.

To be fair this guy is a highly recommended detailer and was doing a paint correction and ceramic for around £700. The issue is not so much the thickness of the paint but how soft it is and how easily it marks up. I am sure I could get the ceramic done but worried I am causing issues down the line.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ah, I think I misread you......I guess the couple of hundred was just for the ceramic coating.

But it still sounds like there's something unique about your paint. Most modern paints are a lot easier to mark these days, but I wouldn't single the Mustang out as being any better or worse than others. That's why I wonder if your car has had paintwork in the past. Did he mention if the problem was all over, or just a certain panel/s?

OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ah, I think I misread you......I guess the couple of hundred was just for the ceramic coating.

But it still sounds like there's something unique about your paint. Most modern paints are a lot easier to mark these days, but I wouldn't single the Mustang out as being any better or worse than others. That's why I wonder if your car has had paintwork in the past. Did he mention if the problem was all over, or just a certain panel/s?
All over unfortunately. It's the original paint. Just really soft and black obviously so shows the swirls more. The swirls and marks look like they are from vigorous cleaning. Will get a second opinion of course but just wondered if anybody else on here had the same issues with Shadow Black paint.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I have a black 18 and have only spray and wiped down the car for almost 2 years. People ask me frequently where I had the car ceramic coated (have not). Paint has hardly any marks, lines, nor swirls in it. Paint chips from road debris happens. Car was built only 30 days before I purchased it probably helped me paint condition wise. May 18 build date. Paint seems pretty solid to me.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It will only be the clearcoat on the surface marking up - my car certainly doesn't look thin where that is concerned. Black cars are absolutely the worst colour for keeping clean and looking good. They look fantastic when the are but only for 5 minutes !

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The paint on mine is thin and soft. The front of it is pitted from the grit generated when they grind the highway instead of paving it to save money. Once it gets bad enough I will have the front clip and mirrors resprayed. The water-based paint they use on today's cars just never hardens like the solvent based paints of yesterday.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Bigger question is why would you pull the trigger on a car that had all those defects from the beginning..?? That all did not appear in your 200 miles of ownership.

OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Bigger question is why would you pull the trigger on a car that had all those defects from the beginning..?? That all did not appear in your 200 miles of ownership.
A fair point. Firstly I have done over 3000 miles since getting it in January but yes the paint must have been bad when I got it. Answer is I wanted it so badly, it was a great price, it was the middle of winter and not sunny on both the occasions I viewed it so not so obvious and the marks I did see I thought a detailer and ceramic would fix.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have never been impressed with the paint toughness on these newer stangs either, I had my front bumper fascia replaced a couple of times, the shop matched the ruby red paint perfect but the finish just seems tougher and rejects dings and rock chips much better than the original paint on the rest of the car.

TC

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I have a black 18 and have only spray and wiped down the car for almost 2 years. People ask me frequently where I had the car ceramic coated (have not). Paint has hardly any marks, lines, nor swirls in it. .
I don't believe you.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I am absolutely gutted. :crying: Has anybody else on here experienced issues with the paint like this? Is this a Ford Mustang thing? If you look at my first post on this forum someone commented then on how bad the paint looked. I have never seen black paint so bad on all my previous 10 black cars.

Not sure what I am going to do to be honest. I am sure it will look fantastic for the short term when I get it back but sounds like it will be so easy to mark up.

My 2018 GT paint is like candy coating on an M&M. I wouldn't even bother paying to apply anything over top of it. I had the hood repainted after the first 500 miles and they did an amazing job, not a chip on it in two years. The rest of the car is still shit and will be re-painted in the coming years. Obviously American auto makers paint process is where they save a lot of money. My 15 yr old Subaru looks better than a three year old Ford or Chevy. It's disgusting.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
The paint is thin as hell and is one of the things I dislike most. I have a 97 Camry as well and that things paint eats rocks and debris like its nothing...mustang though? Nothing but chips from the smallest stuff. I want to repaint the whole thing and do it in the black from the newest Toyotas, their black always looks so deep and how black should look.
Sponsored