Underhood Pony Question

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
For those of you who have installed Anchor Room's underhood pony & oval, how did you get them to stay in place once you applied the soapy solution? I have a hell of a time just doing the lettering and stripes on the valve covers were constantly curling up and sliding around.

The only thing I can think of is use magnets to hold the sticker in place while it sets.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Magnets won't work on the hood, it's aluminum.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I installed one last summer with help from a couple of extra hands (wife and daughter). What worked for me was to cover the engine with a large blanket, clean the hell out of the hood, then install the pony followed by the ring. Spray the hood, and the graphic you are working with with the solution. Note they are two pieces, only wet one at at time and start working with it (I cut it out to separate the pony from the ring).. Once you place them initially you can move them around by sliding them, just use care (they are reasonably durable). I recommend keeping them very wet, spraying them frequently until you have 'em just right then work with a squeegee from the inside out.... and be prepared to start over when the squeegee moves it :)

At least in my case they did not sag or just fall off after I placed them (I did not remove my hood). Having extra hands, arms, and eyes can be very helpful as it's an awkward position and sometimes you just need to be told it looks good or you'll keep messing around with it :) . And if interested, durability seems great..mine looks like the day I placed it, no peeling or bubbles, etc... but the car is not driven an awful lot so YMMV.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I'm following this but not for the under hood thing but for the anchor room info in general

I bought the tattered flag quarter window stickers and when I tried to install them last weekend I could NOT get the sticker from the paper to the window. I used the soapy solution, the squeegee and then even busted out my heat gun and nothing worked, I ruined the passenger side and had to order another one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I installed one last summer with help from a couple of extra hands (wife and daughter). What worked for me was to cover the engine with a large blanket, clean the hell out of the hood, then install the pony followed by the ring. Spray the hood, and the graphic you are working with with the solution. Note they are two pieces, only wet one at at time and start working with it (I cut it out to separate the pony from the ring).. Once you place them initially you can move them around by sliding them, just use care (they are reasonably durable). I recommend keeping them very wet, spraying them frequently until you have 'em just right then work with a squeegee from the inside out.... and be prepared to start over when the squeegee moves it :)

At least in my case they did not sag or just fall off after I placed them (I did not remove my hood). Having extra hands, arms, and eyes can be very helpful as it's an awkward position and sometimes you just need to be told it looks good or you'll keep messing around with it :) . And if interested, durability seems great..mine looks like the day I placed it, no peeling or bubbles, etc... but the car is not driven an awful lot so YMMV.
The extra hands may be difficult. I'm worried about the decals sagging via gravity and not staying put. When I was doing the "powered by ford" letters, they kept curling up and sliding around.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
You might need more soap in your water. The soap should cause the vinyl to stick to the car and not curl.
Ah. I'll give that a try. Hope to do it this weekend.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
You have to squeegee the water/soap solution out once you have it placed as well. That should bring the adhesive into contact with the hood. If you leave it floating on the film of the solution it will fall.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
did it solo, two hands, with no issues on my 16 GT. use lots of soapy water.

is the Pony still on 2018 and beyond?

Sponsored
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Well, I used a lot of soapy water, ans couldn't get the oval to work. The pony went ok.
IMG_20200328_162116.jpg

Anchor room is sending me a new oval.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
did it solo, two hands, with no issues on my 16 GT. use lots of soapy water.

is the Pony still on 2018 and beyond?
No.

The Pony under the hood is only present on the 2015-2017’s.