Former S197 5.0 Owners

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Own a 2017 GT PP, came from a 2014 GT Track Pack with Ford Racng Track Tune. Just drove my 2017, in track mode, really drove it today, for the first time.......it sure seems ALOT slower with REALLY poor Throttle response. I hope the Power Pack 2 really livens this car up, or I made a big big mistake!

Anyone else have this experience? How'd you fix it or did you learn to live with it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
About 5yrs ago I test drove a new '15 gt base stick..no performance package and very disappointed after I asked the salesperson if I could stop and stab the throttle..the car didnt impress me much at all..there was no GTpp on the lot to compare either..I did however love the look and feel of the car and thought I just needed to find and do an internet deal and have me a gtpp delivered...take a chance knowing it had all the track goodies and steeper gears..so everything worked out and I could tell a sizable difference compared to the base gt I drove..however I could never stop thinking about how much the traction controls and slow throttle plate opening speed really holds the potential back..even lived with it a few years till I bought a few aftermarket goodies that didnt affect warranty and the past few years have been much more enjoyable...now just waiting for last year of extra warranty to expire to jump on the supercharger bandwagon..In 2014 I shopped for the exact model you have but never test drove one but I think today the ultimate mustang would be the '13-'14 gt500..

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's in your head mostly. The car is far more refined and speed is not felt nearly as well. I've never understood the throttle response complaints. Press the pedal down more if you like it like an on-off switch. It responds fine and instantaneously. A tune will make everything feel better but the bulk of what you're feeling is refinement and isolation doing their job.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
It's in your head mostly. The car is far more refined and speed is not felt nearly as well. I've never understood the throttle response complaints. Press the pedal down more if you like it like an on-off switch. It responds fine and instantaneously. A tune will make everything feel better but the bulk of what you're feeling is refinement and isolation doing their job.
I've had a contrasting experience: eighth-mile times and speeds were very close in the 2018 GT PP1 coupe automatic, as compared to the 2014 GT convertible also automatic. The 2018 seemed much faster and more dramatic, and was superior just in MPH at the end of an eighth, and that only by a couple MPH.

The 2013 was a tick or two faster in all measures, versus the previous occupant: A 2013 GT Brembo manual.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've noticed that modern cars, though objectively faster, do not feel as fast as those of the past. I don't know why that is. It just is.
I used to have a 1995 2.9 liter 205 HP Ford Scorpio Cosworth with a 4-speed automatic gearbox. It felt like a rocket. Every time I floored it I had the feeling I was about to take off. My 2011 Mondeo had a 240 HP two liter turbocharged engine and a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox. It was definitely much faster than the Scorpio no matter how you looked at it, yet that "oh my God, I'm in a rocket" feeling was completely missing.
Back in 2002 I rented a 1.8 liter 150 HP Skoda with a 4-speed automatic gearbox for a few days. It felt really, properly fast. I loved that car. I had the feeling I could overtake anything anytime without even blinking. 200+ HP cars of today do not feel half as fast as that Skoda used to feel, although in reality they are even faster.

Last edited:

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Exactly this...

I owned a full bolt on 2011 6 speed before my 19 A10. And when I first drove the 19 - I was a little disappointed. But I raced my old car before trading it in and it absolutely blew it away! Regardless of it feeling faster. The s550 just does an incredible job of hiding the speed through the chassis.

I guarantee you if you run it at the track, you won’t be disappointed. It doesn’t feel faster. But it most assuredly is.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Own a 2017 GT PP, came from a 2014 GT Track Pack with Ford Racng Track Tune. Just drove my 2017, in track mode, really drove it today, for the first time.......it sure seems ALOT slower with REALLY poor Throttle response. I hope the Power Pack 2 really livens this car up, or I made a big big mistake!

Anyone else have this experience? How'd you fix it or did you learn to live with it?
It isnt just in your head. The 15-17 S550s are slower in 1/4 mile performance than the S197 counterparts. 18+ with manuals are a bit quicker and the 18+ A10s are a lot quicker than the S197s. I had a 15 PP M6 car and I immediately regretted it coming from a 13 track pack.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I owned 3 S197 GT's before buying my 2018 GT PP1. i'm probably a minority because I greatly prefer the 2013-14 cars over the 15 and later. I definitely like the styling better and even though not as fast as my 18 they FELT faster when driving it. hell my 2011 was running 12.50's bone stock once it was broke in. I keep looking for a 2013-14 GT with A6 and low miles but they seem to be hard to find and crazy priced for a 6-7 year old car

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
hell my 2011 was running 12.50's bone stock
So you were 6/10th faster than the best professionals could get, & 4/10th quicker than the 12-13 BOSS 302? That's what you want us to believe?

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
So you were 6/10th faster than the best professionals could get, & 4/10th quicker than the 12-13 BOSS 302? That's what you want us to believe?
I've got a video of my first pass ever in the car going 12.80 with about 400 miles on the car..lol your info is horribly wrong if you think 2011's weren't going deep in the 12's bone stock.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Again, bone stock as you said?
absolutely 100% bone stock. I've never modded any of my new Mustangs in any way thus far. stock tires, stock air ...yadda yadda yadda.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Well, I guess you shut me up. My wife now wishes to send you a thank you card haha
don't feel bad, my wife has been trying to figure how to shut me up since we got married..lol
Sponsored