Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a used fully loaded Mustang GT from a private party. I test drove it but didn't notice a few issues that I now do after having driven it for a few weeks. So I scheduled a visit to the dealer to have these issues looked at. I'm used to Mercedes and BMW warranty repairs before so that's the background and experience I'm coming from. I also know that sometimes SA's and Techs want to blow you off and try not to acknowledge any issues if possible. I don't know if my Ford warranty experience is the norm or not and would like your opinions please.

Issues I explained to SA:
1. Jerky 10R80 transmission in normal driving, especially in traffic - usually downshifting 4th to 3rd gear.
2. Magneride suspension icon doesn't show up on digital dash when switching modes
3. Left of driver speaker blown and sounds like static at certain sound frequencies
4. Rattle in front left of driver, and in both rear pillars when driving over imperfect roads

I took it in 8 am this past Wednesday morning, went over everything with the SA and was given a lyft/uber ride to work. So far so good, the lyft/uber was actually nice compared to a shuttle. I didn't hear anything till 4PM so I gave my SA a call and after being forwarded around by the dealership I finally reached him. I ask about the progress on the car and if it's ready...he tells me they didn't get a chance to look at most of the issues and that the tech is still troubleshooting the transmission - MIGHT need a learning software reset. I'm appalled that they had the car for over 6 hours and all they could come up with was a possible learning software reset? Pretty sure I can do that myself! I ask when the car will be ready and he says he doesn't know and that he will let me know tomorrow afternoon...what?! Ok so I don't have a car, how will I get home and to work while my car is at the dealer? Can I get a loaner? He says Ford doesn't give loaners and that I can get a rental...and IF ford finds that the work is covered under warranty, they will pay for a few days of the rental...again, WHAT!? This is all so unheard of for me. I explain very nicely how this is unacceptable and negotiate regarding the rental. SA finally agrees that ford will cover it. Thursday no real update to be had, SA says techs have all been busy with other high priority repairs that have been waiting longer...I tell him that as long as my issues are resolved and I have a rental covered by ford I can wait till the weekend. Friday comes and he tells me the tech finally finished troubleshoot of transmission and recommends learning software reset...I ask about the remaining issues - SA says techs also confirmed speaker is defective and have ordered a replacement. Also says that the lack of icon is normal...I ask about the rattles, the SA says "yeah, I don't think we'll be able to get that checked out during this visit"...WHAT!? I can't believe what I'm hearing. SA says he will be out Monday and will give an update Tuesday. At this point if everything isn't fixed Tuesday I'm going to escalate this.

Is this the normal warranty experience for you guys? I've had bigger issues with my Mercedes fixed under warranty within a couple days...and the SAs at least had a clue what was going on. I feel I'm being played with and they aren't actually doing anything. You guys have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
In a nutshell, welcome to Ford. You’re not in Kansas (BMW, Mercedes) anymore. Some dealers are better than others. You may need to try a few to find one you are satisfied with.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Unfortunately, that is normal response from Ford/Ford dealerships. I have a Honda Civic and had an Infiniti G37 and both of these had some kind of warranty work done and it was performed in a very timely manner and I got a loaner without asking. Ford on the other hand tries to avoid doing most of these thing. Yea it sucks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@Rodpwnz

Take a look at this thread I started regarding the 10R80 shifting issues (and my Service Center’s Tech notes and order of repair):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hift-conditions-facts-and-resolutions.135463/

IF the software update to the trans does not fix the shifting issues, nothing will because it’s a mechanical issue. Disconnecting battery, resetting KAM isn’t a resolution either for the 10R80 shift issues - IF in fact the issue is more than software related.

—-

As far as warranty repair timing intervals - every Dealership and repair order is different. To give you an idea, my 2018 just had the 10R80 issues resolved (with a complete multi point inspection, oil change, and warranty washer bottle sensor replacement). All said and done, the repair for my vehicle hit 3 weeks.

You may think that’s ridiculous, but the parts had to be ordered for both the washer and trans repair, so the Dealership is at the mercy of Ford - then figure in the R&R procedures, making sure components work after install and then final road testing to confirm all is well.

The Dealership should provide a loaner if the repairs are going to require an extended stay or if they see the repairs will exceed 48 hours. You can take up the issue with the Dealership GM and voice your displeasure. You can also call the Ford 800# and get a Regional CSR and explain your dissatisfaction about the loaner too. Some Dealerships don’t have enough Fleet Loaners to lend out and some don’t have in-shop Rental agencies you “jump” to for getting a loaner. In any case, the Dealership should have stepped up and provided you a loaner.

You’re also asking them to do a lot of repairs on the car and keep in mind your vehicle isn’t the only one the Tech is working; he’s working multiple jobs. They usually do the easy stuff first but if they run into problems, they have to reach out to the Ford Hot Line for guidance or further direction as well.

The 10R80 diagnosis is lengthy and isn’t a 1-2-3 done... they have to go through proper guidelines because it’s not always software related and if the software update didn’t take care of the issue now the Tech is into researching more things.

Hope that helps....

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
LOL! The first time I took my 16 Gt to the dealer, it had a bad intake manifold with P0300 and P0308 codes plus a 2k stutter under light throttle. After them having it for the whole day, they said they didn't get the chance to look at it. When I ask about a loaner, they said Ford doesn't give loaners and we can't give you a loaner since you didn't buy the car from our dealership (Ted Britt Fairfax, VA). I asked for my car back and after waiting for 30 minutes, they tell me that they can't find my keys and are willing to give me a ride with their shuttle back home. I demanded a loaner car and they finally agreed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rodpwnz

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
In a nutshell, welcome to Ford. You’re not in Kansas (BMW, Mercedes) anymore. Some dealers are better than others. You may need to try a few to find one you are satisfied with.
Unfortunately, that is normal response from Ford/Ford dealerships. I have a Honda Civic and had an Infiniti G37 and both of these had some kind of warranty work done and it was performed in a very timely manner and I got a loaner without asking. Ford on the other hand tries to avoid doing most of these thing. Yea it sucks.
LOL! The first time I took my 16 Gt to the dealer, it had a bad intake manifold with P0300 and P0308 codes plus a 2k stutter under light throttle. After them having it for the whole day, they said they didn't get the chance to look at it. When I ask about a loaner, they said Ford doesn't give loaners and we can't give you a loaner since you didn't buy the car from our dealership (Ted Britt Fairfax, VA). I asked for my car back and after waiting for 30 minutes, they tell me that they can't find my keys and are willing to give me a ride with their shuttle back home. I demanded a loaner car and they finally agreed.
Yeah, really feeling like Dorothy right about now. Would the GM be the wizard I'm looking for? If only I could follow a yellow brick road :cwl:

Guess I'll be fighting tooth and nail for what should be standard customer service, but to be honest, dealing with warranty wasn't always easy even at mercedes and BMW - what they got right was the repair speed, and the loaners. Them admitting a problem is another story. I've had the pouch behind my Mercedes drivers seat break when my idiot friend put a giant bottle in it. It shouldn't be that easy to break even with a big bottle stuffed in - definitely a material/design flaw. One of the tech's was in the back seat with me as I showed him the aftermath and he was telling me that the pouch must have been abused to break like that. As he was explaining how tough the pouch is and lightly pulling on the immaculate passenger side pouch, it snaps in his fingers... immediately after that he went silent and started writing repair notes for both pouches. I was so hard to contain my laughter at the moment and I was grinning cheek to cheek afterwards.

I think it largely depends on dealership and SA as well. The original SA was out today and a new SA took over for him till he gets back and the new guy is WAY better. My experience would probably have been much better if it had started with this new guy...may have even had my car back by now!

Dealerships aren't called stealerships for nothing :asshat:

@Rodpwnz

Take a look at this thread I started regarding the 10R80 shifting issues (and my Service Center’s Tech notes and order of repair):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hift-conditions-facts-and-resolutions.135463/

IF the software update to the trans does not fix the shifting issues, nothing will because it’s a mechanical issue. Disconnecting battery, resetting KAM isn’t a resolution either for the 10R80 shift issues - IF in fact the issue is more than software related.

—-

As far as warranty repair timing intervals - every Dealership and repair order is different. To give you an idea, my 2018 just had the 10R80 issues resolved (with a complete multi point inspection, oil change, and warranty washer bottle sensor replacement). All said and done, the repair for my vehicle hit 3 weeks.

You may think that’s ridiculous, but the parts had to be ordered for both the washer and trans repair, so the Dealership is at the mercy of Ford - then figure in the R&R procedures, making sure components work after install and then final road testing to confirm all is well.

The Dealership should provide a loaner if the repairs are going to require an extended stay or if they see the repairs will exceed 48 hours. You can take up the issue with the Dealership GM and voice your displeasure. You can also call the Ford 800# and get a Regional CSR and explain your dissatisfaction about the loaner too. Some Dealerships don’t have enough Fleet Loaners to lend out and some don’t have in-shop Rental agencies you “jump” to for getting a loaner. In any case, the Dealership should have stepped up and provided you a loaner.

You’re also asking them to do a lot of repairs on the car and keep in mind your vehicle isn’t the only one the Tech is working; he’s working multiple jobs. They usually do the easy stuff first but if they run into problems, they have to reach out to the Ford Hot Line for guidance or further direction as well.

The 10R80 diagnosis is lengthy and isn’t a 1-2-3 done... they have to go through proper guidelines because it’s not always software related and if the software update didn’t take care of the issue now the Tech is into researching more things.

Hope that helps....

Thanks Cobra, this is definitely helpful. I've read the thread and I am experiencing much of the same issues listed! Hopefully the software will fix it but if not then I'll be taking it back.

I also should note that they did take care of the loaner, as in they gave me a lyft ride to an enterprise and I'm in an F150 XLT currently. So Ford did "jump" me into something fairly quickly. Nice and comfy truck but I'm missing my mustang already. :crying:

OP
OP
Rodpwnz

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Hi Guys,

just an update:

I got the car back late last Thursday and was out of town for the weekend so I haven't had much time behind the wheel since.

Things needed to get fixed:
1. Transmission was jerky, rough up and downshifts, car jumped when put into drive from park
2. Speaker buzzes and rattles at certain sound frequencies
3. Rattles in driver side A pillar and both rear pillar areas

Things they fixed:
1. Transmission got a software reset - feels much better now , much smoother. No more jerky shifts, no more jumps into drive. This is how the car should have felt from the beginning.
2. I think they replaced one of the speakers but the buzz is still there. Maybe both speakers are blown and only one was replaced; I'll have to bring it in again. Not sure if this is normal but also now the driver door handle has some play in it, like its pulling and stretching the leather in the door when I pull the handle.Don't remember it being like that before.
3. They said they didn't have time to look into the rattles - I guess over a week is not good enough...

Overall, I'd say this is a win since the biggest issue for me was the transmission and that seems good for now. The SA said to drive the car around for a few hundred miles to evaluate the transmission is working properly but I don't want to deal with the messed up speakers much longer and definitely don't want to leave my car for a week again. Might make another appointment but make sure they know I expect my car back within a couple days.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
2. I think they replaced one of the speakers but the buzz is still there. Maybe both speakers are blown and only one was replaced
If you put your ear to the speaker with the volume way down do you still hear a buzz? Do you hear the buzz on both speakers? If yes this could be electrical, not mechanical. Also if you put your hand on/around the speaker does the buzz stop? That's vibration and could mean something is loose.
Sponsored