Sponsored

2015 blue smoke on decel and hard accel

1KIOTE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Shelby GT500 KR, 2015 GT P/P
I run a 15 GT with P/P for track days. Noticed today during hard corner decel and then hard excel a heavy blue smoke for approx 100 yds. Finished run with no issues. Anybody have any ideas? Oil separator on passenger side shows minimum fill. Car runs at hi rpm.
Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Dealership time.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Tire rub?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
How's your oil level look like?
Could be burning it.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Looks like a gasket problem...hopefully it ain't nothin' worse than that.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
I run a 15 GT with P/P for track days. Noticed today during hard corner decel and then hard excel a heavy blue smoke for approx 100 yds. Finished run with no issues. Anybody have any ideas? Oil separator on passenger side shows minimum fill. Car runs at hi rpm.
So...If I remember correctly, if the smoke coming out of the exhaust is...

Blue = Oil

White = Water

Black = Fuel

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

As much as we want them to be... they are not high endurance race cars.

How many miles btw...

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Thread revival... anyone else having this issue? This just happened to me after a tight decreasing radius corner on track... Car runs fine and the frequency seems to happen sporadically although it is always after accelerating after a tight high G corner. Car is on 19x11 with NT01s all around and have over 50 track events under my belt so the car is certainly being put through it's paces and sees decent amounts of lateral forces in the corners. Engine is completely stock with a FRPP power pack 1 tune. Over 50k miles on the odometer, a good amount of those track miles.

My initial thought is something off with the PCV system (stuck valve maybe?). I run a passenger side FRPP catch can and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with it. I plan to perform a compression test to rule out any issues with the cylinders. Ordered a new PCV valve as well as new spark plugs.

Last edited:

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Been doing a quite a bit of reading and found that it may be possible to get burps of oil out of the driver side PCV under high G cornering.

I pulled off my driver side pcv hose and a few drops of oil dropped out. From what I understand the driver side should mainly be bone dry. I believe this may be my problem, although I’m going to continue with a compression test and spark plug inspection just to be sure.

Hoping that is all it is.

I plan to remove my FRPP passenger oil separator and install 2 bigger Moroso oil separators for both sides.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
switch to the FRPP Power Pack 2, which uses the GT350 throttle body and air intake. Then you can run the FRPP oil separator on the driver side as well. That's what I've got on my car, but haven't been out to run it hard yet so I can't say for sure it would work.

Or for much cheaper, just put an aftermarket separator on the driver side. I'd say for heavy track use and high rpm, each bank needs its own separator, or both banks need plumbed into one larger separator.

Aggressive track use certainly brings up things you wouldn't expect to be an issue.
GT engine.jpg

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Thanks for the recommendation. Due to the way I have my hood vented and what it has done to airflow within the engine bay, I would like to stick with the closed box stock setup. I plan to custom plumb my own PCV setup using the Moroso oil separators with each bank having it's own dedicated canister. I also want to mount the canisters further away from the engine, possibly near where windshield reservoir currently sits to help minimize exposure to heat. I never use the windshield fluid so might as well remove it.

I'm really hoping this is the cause of the problem. When the spark plugs come in I will do a compression test as well to make sure everything checks out healthy.

Track work has certainly brought out a lot of issues that would never have been found daily driving on the street. My last issue was the factory plastic coolant reservoir cracking to the point of immanent failure. All the dramatic heat cycles from all these years of track work put a huge toll on that poor plastic tank.

It is a never ending battle percolating to the next weakest link...

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Thanks for the recommendation. Due to the way I have my hood vented and what it has done to airflow within the engine bay, I would like to stick with the closed box stock setup. I plan to custom plumb my own PCV setup using the Moroso oil separators with each bank having it's own dedicated canister. I also want to mount the canisters further away from the engine, possibly near where windshield reservoir currently sits to help minimize exposure to heat. I never use the windshield fluid so might as well remove it.

I'm really hoping this is the cause of the problem. When the spark plugs come in I will do a compression test as well to make sure everything checks out healthy.

Track work has certainly brought out a lot of issues that would never have been found daily driving on the street. My last issue was the factory plastic coolant reservoir cracking to the point of immanent failure. All the dramatic heat cycles from all these years of track work put a huge toll on that poor plastic tank.

It is a never ending battle percolating to the next weakest link...
Similar issue just happened to me yesterday at AMP. A few laps I went into right turn 5 harder than usual and got some pretty thick smoke accelerating out of that corner and again out of the next left hander. Was pretty worried at first I did some damage but the car runs fine and didn't smoke at all today.

Didn't think about the necessity of a driver side can until now. I was thinking I overfilled the oil or something. Checked the driver side PCV line and sure enough there is oil in there.

Did the driver side catch can solve the issue for you?
Sponsored