Sponsored

2015 blue smoke on decel and hard accel

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
One solution might be to install a check valve right before the catch can.
Then run a hose the size of the pcv inlet in the head to a bigger hose about 3” tall, reduce in size, 90 to the hose running to the separator. Run the hose up hill as much as possible.

This would allow the oil to run back into the engine under wide open throttle. With a pcv once it gets past the pcv it’s stuck until it collects enough to burb a slug into the catch can or engine.

One other idea would be to put and extension on the end of the PCV so it doesn’t stick down as far in the valve cover.
Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
My bet oil getting past the valve guides. Or the oil is sloshing so bad the crank is throwing a ton up into the cylinder bore and the oil scraper rings are unable to fully cope.

Has nobody swapped in the GT350's oil pan onto the Coyote engine? Part
GR3Z-6675-E
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-pan-gr3z6675e

might need a different oil pickup too.
Do the 15-17 cars have the crank splash guard?
I was worried it was valve guides at first because my car was smoking on start up after a session but I quickly found out it was oil coming through the driver side PCV into the intake. The air filter was wet with oil and the PCV line still had residual oil in it when I pulled it off.

The PCV fitting on the driver side is just a hole about 3/8" diameter. Depending on if the new valve cover part number fixes the problem I may experiment with making screen or baffle that fits inside the fitting that will still allow air to pass but would stop or greatly reduce the amount of oil to slip past if oil was trying to get sucked into the intake.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I might wad a bit of air-handler mat (course batting) gated with a bit of screen door. But it's probably better to focus on how/why all that oil is getting to the inlet to get sucked up, and stopping that.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
@thelostotter This new valve cover looks promising...

It looks like the old valve cover (ER3E-8K273-AD/EL3E-8K273-AD) has baffling that covers the entire underside of the cover with an opening at one far end (towards rear of engine). I can see how on a sustained high g turn oil may pool up in this area and then get sucked up into the driver PCV line.

The new valve cover (KR3E-6K273-AA/KR3E-6K273-CA) has baffling that covers a much smaller area under the valve cover. The baffling inlet is also positioned to make it hard for oil to get sucked in. There isn't anywhere for the oil to pool around that area.

I will also be installing a Moroso oil pan as well as an extended reservoir for the driver side catch can before the next track day. I am fairly confident that with the reduced sloshing of the oil pan and the improved baffling design of the new valve cover, that this oil burp issue will be minimized, if not completely solved.

Old cover
49259521782_08890b320d_b.jpg

Inlet location on the old cover
49259520597_8243a47bc2_b.jpg

New cover
49259520752_32685cac56_b.jpg

Inlet location on the new cover
49258842943_6b6a9ab8f0_b.jpg

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
@thelostotter This new valve cover looks promising...

It looks like the old valve cover (ER3E-8K273-AD/EL3E-8K273-AD) has baffling that covers the entire underside of the cover with an opening at one far end (towards rear of engine). I can see how on a sustained high g turn oil may pool up in this area and then get sucked up into the driver PCV line.

The new valve cover (KR3E-6K273-AA/KR3E-6K273-CA) has baffling that covers a much smaller area under the valve cover. The baffling inlet is also positioned to make it hard for oil to get sucked in. There isn't anywhere for the oil to pool around that area.

I will also be installing a Moroso oil pan as well as an extended reservoir for the driver side catch can before the next track day. I am fairly confident that with the reduced sloshing of the oil pan and the improved baffling design of the new valve cover, that this oil burp issue will be minimized, if not completely solved.

Old cover
49259521782_08890b320d_b.jpg

Inlet location on the old cover
49259520597_8243a47bc2_b.jpg

New cover
49259520752_32685cac56_b.jpg

Inlet location on the new cover
49258842943_6b6a9ab8f0_b.jpg
Excellent. That is the KR3Z-6582-C correct? Would the -D be the passenger side or a different revision? Having a hard time finding any info on it since all the parts fiches list the standard GT part.

That is promising that the design is drastically altered. I was expecting it would be a small change from the stock one. It does seem like a more logical location for the inlet, sitting physically higher up in the installed position. It also look like the new one has two small drains that would sit at the low point. Are the holes in those blue plugs through holes? Looks like they would work to drain oil once the engine is shut down, too small to passively drain while running if that baffle filled up.

Edit - This new part number looks to be copied heavily from the passenger side stock valve cover. Very similar which is good news considering we never fill up the passenger side separators.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Yes, that is the correct part number. Here are the details from when I bought it from Byers Ford...

Part Number
Part Name Price Quantity Total
KR3Z-6582-C Cover - Cylinder Head $166.51 1 $166.51

Subtotal: $166.51
Estimated Standard Shipping: $20.07
Total: $186.58

I'm not sure if the holes go all the way through, I initially though they were some kind of rivet. Yeah, I'm not convinced that I need to mess with he passenger side valve cover at this point. I don't get enough oil out of that catch can to be concerning. Seems like it is working as intended.

This new driver valve cover seems to be the ticket for those of us having the oil burp issue. I'm hoping it works out. I have a track day at West track in January, although I don't tend to burn any oil out the driver side at that track. I won't truly know if the problem is resolved until I make it out to East Track in February.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no PCV expert but it seems the reason you'd have oil coming out of the driver side opening is either there is so much oil under the valve cover that it all sloshed forward under hard braking and submerged the pickup, (and) or the passenger side PCV can't evacuate crank pressure fast enough at high RPM (or it's clogged) which is driving pressure out the driver side - backflow.

the PCV valves of the GT350 (4L2Z6A666BA) differ from the 18+GT (7L3Z6A666A). I don't know how they differ in practical terms.

But backing up further, the oil in the head is supposed to drain into the oil pan, so why is there so much oil sloshing around to begin with?

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Excellent info guys. Thanks for posting all this up as well as the fixes and part numbers. Much appreciated.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
So I tried ordering the KR3Z-6582-C valve cover from three different suppliers, including Byers Ford as suggested in this thread but the part is apparently on backorder for the next several months so they all cancelled my order.

I discovered the Ford Performance GT500 valve cover kit M-6067-M52S that was just released has the improved baffle design so I ordered that. Unfortunately they showed up in a box with no padding and both covers are completely destroyed. $250 shipped for both covers is a great deal if you can get a set that are not cracked and dented.
IMG_8472.jpg

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
How in the world can they possibly break a valve cover like that in shipping? Did they drag it behind the truck on the way to your house? For goodness sake.....

Thanks for posting this content however. Valuable info here.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
So I tried ordering the KR3Z-6582-C valve cover from three different suppliers, including Byers Ford as suggested in this thread but the part is apparently on backorder for the next several months so they all cancelled my order.

I discovered the Ford Performance GT500 valve cover kit M-6067-M52S that was just released has the improved baffle design so I ordered that. Unfortunately they showed up in a box with no padding and both covers are completely destroyed. $250 shipped for both covers is a great deal if you can get a set that are not cracked and dented.
IMG_8472.jpg
Dang, sorry to see that. My valve cover arrived with 2 mounting tabs broken. Packaging was horrible. Seemed like it was just thrown in a box.

Curious how the passenger GT500 cover baffling looks... Similar design to driver side?

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
The vendor is sending me a new set today, they opened the box to verify they were OK and added more padding. I guess I'll be waiting until next weekend to tear into this.

The passenger side is the similar to the driver side.
IMG_8479.jpg
IMG_8480.jpg

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Just an update on the GT500 valve cover - they fit perfectly, exactly like stock including all the tabs for mounting the zip tie wire clips. I thought it was interesting that they are held onto the head with about twice as many bolts as the stock covers. Not sure why the plastic covers don't utilize all the inserts in the head.

Need to wait about a month until I go to AMP again to confirm they solve the issue.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I feel like these covers quieted down the engine a bit. I noticed it immediately on start up. There's a lot going on in the valve train on these cars and I think the thick aluminum covers insulate that a bit. That's a nice side effect.

IMG_8496.jpg
IMG_8506.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: