Sponsored

Front passenger clunking sound

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
My 2019 GT Premium (non-PP) has developed a front passenger side clunking sound. It seems to happen when going over small bumps, and is really only noticeable at low speeds (under 30mph). Doesn't occur when turning the wheel, just going straight over small bumps gives a bit of a hollow clunk sound.

I've checked everything I can think of. The wheel exhibits no play if I try to shake it horizontally or vertically. I replaced the front sway bar endlinks with Steeda ones, that didn't resolve the problem. Sway bar bushings appear to be tight. I verified the strut mounts are tight, and that the strut tower brace I installed is torqued correctly. Brake calipers are tight as well.

Any suggestions on what else to check?
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 GT Premium (non-PP) has developed a front passenger side clunking sound. It seems to happen when going over small bumps, and is really only noticeable at low speeds (under 30mph). Doesn't occur when turning the wheel, just going straight over small bumps gives a bit of a hollow clunk sound.

I've checked everything I can think of. The wheel exhibits no play if I try to shake it horizontally or vertically. I replaced the front sway bar endlinks with Steeda ones, that didn't resolve the problem. Sway bar bushings appear to be tight. I verified the strut mounts are tight, and that the strut tower brace I installed is torqued correctly. Brake calipers are tight as well.

Any suggestions on what else to check?

On my '16 I had a worn out bushing on the front control arm tension link. It made a clunk at slow parking lot speeds. Replaced with Steeda parts.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Bad strut. I had a brand new Koni that was defective that exibited the exact same symptoms.

Reactions: Fjc
OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
Thanks, I'll take a look at those items and see if I can find anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
Follow up - took it to one dealership and told them I had disconnected the sway bar endlinks as a test and ruled them out. Dealer kept the car a day and then claimed the endlinks were loose. BS - I have a torque wrench and use it.

Took it to a different dealership yesterday. Called me by the end of the day and had figured out the problem.

Bad strut. I had a brand new Koni that was defective that exibited the exact same symptoms.
You nailed it - bad strut! At under 3000 miles.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hmmm I have a clunk in my pass side rear maybe I should take it to the dealer as well

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Just curious how do you do a strut test? I have FRPP track dampers and caster camber plates. Most of me thinks it’s the bearing in the camber plates

OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
Just curious how do you do a strut test? I have FRPP track dampers and caster camber plates. Most of me thinks it’s the bearing in the camber plates
I tested mine by doing the bounce test on each corner of the car. Get it bouncing a bit and stop, and the shock/strut should very quickly dampen the motion. Mine was fine, which made me suspect that thevstrut mount/bearing was the issue.

got the car back today from the dealer, they actually replaced both the strut and the strut bearing. Finally, no clunk!

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Bad front struts on stiffer lowering springs can be hard to diagnose, I didn't figure mine out until taking them out to swap springs and realizing one was seeping fluid and could be compressed by hand without extending.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
mine started as soon as i switched to bigger wheel/tire setup so i hear something every time i go over a bump. Weird but Ill run through all the bolts before i look to replace the struts. I looked on FP website and the dampers aren't covered so just didn't want to go through buying a new set to have the problem persist. Might be an excuse to pick up bilsteins lol
Sponsored