Sponsored

GT350 Front Suspension on GT

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I have been looking into various different listings for the GT350 brakes and one of the listings I am interested in includes for the front, the knuckle and the control arms. If I were to use the front knuckle, would the offset of the wheel change to where it would stick past the fender? Is there any benefit to using the front control arms and knuckles?

Like I said it just happens to come with the brake setup I am wanting so if there is some merit to it I would just use them since no one just sells the rear knuckles alone. I am not going out of my way to get the front knuckle and control arm as I know there are better aftermarket options regarding suspension geometry.
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't know of anyone who has tried the switch, because it is not just 1 or 2 things. My biggest concern is the GT350 has wider front fender and a wider front track. Use the GT350 suspension, get a wider front track, and now your tires hit the fenders because you don't have the wider bodywork.

Also note that Ford Performance and the aftermarket don't seem to be offering GT350 suspension parts as GT upgrades.

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I don't know of anyone who has tried the switch, because it is not just 1 or 2 things. My biggest concern is the GT350 has wider front fender and a wider front track. Use the GT350 suspension, get a wider front track, and now your tires hit the fenders because you don't have the wider bodywork.

Also note that Ford Performance and the aftermarket don't seem to be offering GT350 suspension parts as GT upgrades.
And that is kind of what I was thinking would be the case. But I wonder is it the knuckle or control arms that make track width wider in the front. The only difference I know of on the knuckle is the way the caliper mounts, but no idea on every other dimension. Either way I purchased the whole setup, but seller was not willing to separate. I do wonder if there is any value at all in front suspension. I have made some interesting art pieces with junk car parts before.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don’t know if it’s cost effective to buy the all the front suspension components; just to get brakes. But, it would be awesome if it fit.
If it fits; you might be able to run a square wheel/tire setup using the factory rear wheel offsets.
I would like to run 19x10.5” ET56 wheels and the GT350 FP spec 295 Cup2s on all 4 corners.
Cheers,

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I don’t know if it’s cost effective to buy the all the front suspension components; just to get brakes. But, it would be awesome if it fit.
If it fits; you might be able to run a square wheel/tire setup using the factory rear wheel offsets.
I would like to run 19x10.5” ET56 wheels and the GT350 FP spec 295 Cup2s on all 4 corners.
Cheers,
I would agree with you in most cases. I did not care about the front knuckles but it is the most comprehensive set for the brakes I could find for under $2000. But the price to source all the components individual was about $700 more than getting the whole set that came with the front knuckles. I am now curious to see how it lines up with a GT. I am interested to see where the differences are and where the extra width comes from. I still think it is the either the wheel offset or the control arms, but we shall see.

Sponsored

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
The parts came in so hopefully over the winter I can start getting this stuff on. Got the calipers sand blasted to I can finish them the way I want. Though I might need to get a different set of rear wheels since mine right now are close to poking out as is. I did some maths and figured the mounting face to mounting face on the rotors between a GT and a GT350 based on some basic wheel offset and track width specs online is fairly close to each other so pivot points, at least horizontally are probably the same. And the Steeda front cross member is apparently the same for the GT and GT350 so control arm location body side are also probably the same even on a stock sub-frames despite different part number.

My maths is:
GT with stock 19x9 ET42, track width of 62.3"
GT350 with stock 19x10.5 ET30 track width 63.3"

Take the track width and add the offset to both sides so 62.3" + (42mm or 1.65" x 2) = 65.60" flange to flange on the GT, the GT350 is 65.66".

So the extra width between the GT350 and GT is the wheels.

Kellys69z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt premium, Dodge 2500 Cummings, 69 Camaro
I’m I just did the same thing. Front is close, but rear has a wider track width.
FE72080C-7446-43F3-AB9E-C7EABFD38951.jpeg
CAB3942E-99C6-46F9-946E-B40D91648DD8.jpeg

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I’m I just did the same thing. Front is close, but rear has a wider track width.
FE72080C-7446-43F3-AB9E-C7EABFD38951.jpeg
CAB3942E-99C6-46F9-946E-B40D91648DD8.jpeg
Looks sweet! Did you use the adapter bracket for the front or the whole knuckle from a GT350?

Kellys69z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks sweet! Did you use the adapter bracket for the front or the whole knuckle from a GT350?
I used all gt350 hubs/knuckles. Bought used takeoffs from fleebay.

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I used all gt350 hubs/knuckles. Bought used takeoffs from fleebay.
That is exactly where I got mine as well. Good to know it all works my kit even came with the control arms but I am not sure if I really need those at all especially since they have higher mileage than what my car is.

Sponsored

Kellys69z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly where I got mine as well. Good to know it all works my kit even came with the control arms but I am not sure if I really need those at all especially since they have higher mileage than what my car is.

Yes you do the control arms and tie rod ends are gt350 specific. Also give the knuckles a good looking over I had 1 rear and 1 front that was bent.

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Yes you do the control arms and tie rod ends are gt350 specific. Also give the knuckles a good looking over I had 1 rear and 1 front that was bent.
Accedent must have been focused on the one side with yours. Mine look to be straight but I would think it was tracked hard. The rotors had a lip and pads were thin for 40,000 miles.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The parts came in so hopefully over the winter I can start getting this stuff on. Got the calipers sand blasted to I can finish them the way I want. Though I might need to get a different set of rear wheels since mine right now are close to poking out as is. I did some maths and figured the mounting face to mounting face on the rotors between a GT and a GT350 based on some basic wheel offset and track width specs online is fairly close to each other so pivot points, at least horizontally are probably the same. And the Steeda front cross member is apparently the same for the GT and GT350 so control arm location body side are also probably the same even on a stock sub-frames despite different part number.

My maths is:
GT with stock 19x9 ET42, track width of 62.3"
GT350 with stock 19x10.5 ET30 track width 63.3"

Take the track width and add the offset to both sides so 62.3" + (42mm or 1.65" x 2) = 65.60" flange to flange on the GT, the GT350 is 65.66".

So the extra width between the GT350 and GT is the wheels.

? More offset = less track, track is figured from the wheel/tire centerline, so wider wheels should not have an effect on it.

wangfuco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT PP
If somebody makes an adapter that mounts pp brakes to the gt350 knuckle that would be so great. The ghetto solution for me would be to use the magneride front knuckles. They have the same wheel bearing as the gt350, which is a huge step up over the stock one.
Sponsored