Sponsored

Today’s car guys vs yesterdays car guys?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I remember walking to the school in the rain and snow with the bus passing me by because they would not pick up any kid that lived within a couple of miles of the school. Of course it was safe to walk alone anywhere in those days, and we did. Hell, we hitchhiked for transportation before we got cars and it was safe and reliable.
Granted I lived in the South, and snow wasn't common at all - but there's no way I was going to school in the snow. That was before cell phones. My emergency / parent contact was changed to the phone number of a friend's Uncle - I dated a girl who worked in the school office to get that done. For a six pack now and again - he'd pose as my Dad when they called when I didn't show up for school.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thread. I am a gear head and former adrenaline junky. Started saving my money and tips as a paperboy at 8 and bought and RM125 at 12 and switched to the water cooled CR125 when I started racing motocross as a novice. Back then, it was Brad Lackey, Bob Hannah, Jimmy Ellis, Marty Smith and Marty Tripes. I was too young to drive so I had to tag along with older riders that had trucks and trailers to get to local events. The racers in novice were friendly and accommodating regardless of the manufacturer they were riding and I learned a lot about wrenching. I was an ok rider but there were only so many partial sponsorships coming from local bike shops and without money, you won’t make it far. I learned to drive in a 1978 F250 Ranger with a manual transmission. 1st gear was the granny gear that was used on hills, towing or plowing. About the same time, I got into road bikes. Saved my money and went to road racing school with the intent of joining and endurance team racing GSXR 750’s but the funding fell out and that was even more expensive than motocross. I was still tracking bikes but gave up public riding after using up a couple of my 9 lives. I did a 2 year stint as a service manager in a marina that sponsored two offshore boats. I was the backup driver in the 30’ Cat and crewed on both boats, fun times and there’s nothing like race week in Key West. A friend crewed for Zero Defect/Drambuie on Ice when the boat won the championship. We modified the mini pit bikes that looked like F1 racers. So bikes, boats, trucks, cars, sky diving, scuba diving and pushing limits puts a smile on my face. I like all performance vehicles regardless of manufacturer and enjoy the story behind them. Old school HP used to intimidate you when the chassis and suspension weren’t tuned and new school HP at 600+ seems underwhelming because of how refined the chassis/suspension set ups are. I’m happy to see manufacturers both foreign and domestic pushing limits. Competition is good all the way around. Didn’t like my last two Vettes but would consider a new mid engine. Pretty sure I’ll keep the Mustang though. Always happy to lend a wrench as that’s the way I was taught. A gear head is a gear head, new school or old school.
LOL. My first dirt bike was a 70's YZ80. I was 8 or 9. It was my older brother's bike. He saved and bought a bigger bike. Dad told him he couldn't sell it IF I could ride it. My "lesson" was "There's the clutch, there's the gas, there's the brake." I broke my wrist but I learned to ride it. Went through dirt bikes until I sold my soul for a YZ490 when I was in my teens. To this day - out of all the things I've done and survived, including the Army - I still don't understand how I didn't kill myself on that bike. Got my first real street bike - same deal - my older brother gave me his wrecked GSXR750. Oil cooled and all. Swapped in a 1100 Kat motor. That thing was crazy fun. Rode sportbikes for years - commuted on them 9-10 months a year. A few years ago it simply wasn't any fun anymore - people with their faces in their phones sucked all the joy out of it. While track days were GREAT - they also add up quickly.

My only boat fun was a some shallow draft 70's era (complete with gaudy pearl paint) ski / jet type boat with a big block 455 Olds. Jesus those headers were so loud. And you couldn't exactly take all your friends with you - but MAN that thing could fly. God now I'm wanting another dirt bike.

I feel you on the MASSIVE improvement to chassis design. I had a 10 second '67 Chevelle street car - back when that was considered FAST. 4 speed, STEEP Gears and a big block that wouldn't pull enough vacuum to run anything. Good thing it had manual steering, manual 4 wheel drums. "Sophisticated suspension" was worn out front shocks for weight transfer, no sway bars, preloading one side in the rear with an air bag and a clutch that specifically said on the box "not for street use" LOL.

While it was fast and fun - there was always a pucker factor bringing that bad boy down from speed at the traps. Not mention hitting a bump on the road and it was still moving a half mile down the road. Or bottoming out on bumps and watching sparks fly from the headers....

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
No bashing anyone, just want to know!
I’m 55 and have gone fast pretty much all my life in several different cars, from different makers, starting with Ford, going through imports, chevys and for the last several years back to ford, where I’ll stay.
I’m struggling a little with how to put this out there without offending anyone.......so I’ll just jump in. Does anyone work on their own cars anymore? Don’t get me wrong I do know that a few do, having read some good stuff on this site.
Growing up, if you wanted a fast car, you turned wrenches.....I see people buying bolt-on kits for S550’s and then talking about labor prices....it’s bolt-on... at the same time I do understand that some require they be installed at a dealership to retain warranties.
Even here in Va where I live, I’ll go to get-to-gethers, shows, drag track, etc and listen to guys spout all the tech, and how their cars hook, make power, etc and in the same breath state it was built/modified by mr xyz......out of the couple hundred enthusiast here with newer Chevy and Ford cars only a handful have done any of the work themselves. I’ve done stuff to my different cars over the years that I didn’t know how to do, but I learned, through trial and error, blood and sweat, tears and a lot of cursing.
Maybe it’s just me....I can’t be proud of my car if I’ve paid someone else to make it what it is.

Yep, its a NOVA thing. It's rare that someone turns wrenches. I do my own work or rather not anymore since mods are a huge money drain. I go for buying a car out of the box fast as it typically is easier to resell than buy a car put a $6500 stage one turbo kit own the car for less than a couple years take parts off and resell... just a pain and don't want to spend the time doing all that anymore. I used to including tuning the cars myself but it's just not efficient if you're not already in that field or invested into a full blown garage with lift and proper tools to make it enjoyable.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Forge? I force the metal into shape with my bare hands.
Plausible. I knew a guy in high school that mounted tires on his MGA with his bare hands. Saw it with my own eyes. If you see this Pete Davis (last know to be in Oregon), please confirm. I have a hard time with racing kart tires.

You may shape metal with your hands but real car guys make the metal from piles of electrons, protons and neutrons.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And I bet you don't respect anyone that casts engine blocks, either.
I had to fashion a very stout fishing pole from Egyptian water reeds and the fishing line was milked directly from thousands of spiders. The splash of the engine block hitting the water tended to temporarily frighten the fish, but I lined the cavities with succulent worms and the fish would willingly enter the cylinder bore where a spring-mounted flap would slap down. Hauling in the block took some doing but it was remarkably successful. I don't know why the other villagers didn't think of it sooner!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You wouldn't get paid if someone didn't "play" accountant :cwl:. No need to rip someones profession.
Who ripped anyone's profession? Wow, I must have hit a nerve made someone feel overly insecure about themselves. As an accountant I seriously doubt you play with your spread sheets and mouse all day long and then come home and do taxes for the entire neighborhood pro-bono for the personal enjoyment of it. Likewise I don't want to come home to doing more of the same I do at work all day long. Get the comparison now sweet cheeks? Dag there are some thin skinned whiners in this place.

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
I do the majority of work myself, but if there's something that would be much faster to pay a buddy with 100x the experience to install for me, I'll do it. Case in point, the springs and sway bars installed on my car were done by professionals that cost me much less than the time and sweat I'd have to put in to it.

Beating your chest because you work on your own car is silly. Nobody really cares.
I have to disagree a bit there. I respect talent and effort, and today I met a young man ,maybe 18 years old, that listened intently and really wanted to learn. I respect that a great deal and care that there are young ones out there that do want to learn. I know that young man will pick up tools and go to work on something someday. And if he is as enthusiastic as some of the up and coming racers I know and have helped, he will eclipse everything I have accomplished by a good margin!

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
Who ripped anyone's profession? Wow, I must have hit a nerve made someone feel overly insecure about themselves. As an accountant I seriously doubt you play with your spread sheets and mouse all day long and then come home and do taxes for the entire neighborhood pro-bono for the personal enjoyment of it. Likewise I don't want to come home to doing more of the same I do at work all day long. Get the comparison now sweet cheeks? Dag there are some thin skinned whiners in this place.
Relax. Having a joke. You used the word "play" sounds condescending.

Sponsored

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My $.02

How many schools don't have Shop Class anymore? That's where I developed my interest in working on cars and other things mechanical. It's amazing how many young adults don't have any interest in turning a wrench or even know how to change a tire.
Heck I meet so many who say they love a car but dont anything about the car such as v8 or oil or anything other than where to put gas

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
anything other than where to put gas
Google "is there a difference between green pump handle and black"? There was a YT some time back about some girl not knowing there was a difference between dispensers - with the expected results.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn’t read any other posts, but today’s “enthusiasts” are a bunch of nutsacks except for a small portion of dedicated individuals passionate about all things automotive.

It enrages me seeing these groups of 100+ cars shutting down public roads to do donuts on the freeway or intersection and some asshat is “in the ring” with the car filming and then everyone flips the fuck out when someone or another car gets hit. You see 1,000 cell phones come out and hear every version of “yo mayne how did that shit happen yoooo we out here catch me on IG hashtag driftlyfe11!”.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn’t read any other posts, but today’s “enthusiasts” are a bunch of nutsacks except for a small portion of dedicated individuals passionate about all things automotive.

It enrages me seeing these groups of 100+ cars shutting down public roads to do donuts on the freeway or intersection and some asshat is “in the ring” with the car filming and then everyone flips the fuck out when someone or another car gets hit. You see 1,000 cell phones come out and hear every version of “yo mayne how did that shit happen yoooo we out here catch me on IG hashtag driftlyfe11!”.
Am I reading this wrong or are you saying that all the people who come on this website are "nutsacks"? Not sure what you even mean by that. Is it supposed to be derogatory?

Are you saying that if you don't like ALL things automotive you are a "nutsack"?

Based on my impression of you from reading your post, I'm not surprised that you didn't read any other post.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are two types of cars guys... ones that don't care about anything but acceleration, and those who cares about performance. So some get their hands dirty...
I think you meant there are those that have more money than time and those that have more time than money.
Sponsored