Sponsored

For those who traded a vehicle you loved, for an S550, was it worth it?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I purchased my Mustang to replace my Porsche. There are some things about it that are good and some that are not.
The good:
10 year old Porsches lack a lot of modern electronics. Lots of modern stuff to play with and enjoy in the Mustang, like navigation, automatic headlights and digital dash.
Old Porsches can be incredibly expense to repair and don't have a good track record for long term reliability. An extended warranty costs $16k. My Mustang has a warranty.
Porsches are a bitch to mod. For $9K I got about 20 extra horsepower. If I want more it will cost over $30k. I can do a lot of mods to a Mustang for a lot less.
My wife loves the Mustang, hates the Porsche and refuses to ride in it.

The bad:
Weight. A Mustang convertible weighs a lot. You can feel it everywhere, braking, accelerating, handling, response, general agility. It's no match for the Porsche.
The 10 speed automatic is a really nice transmission. But, it doesn't compare to a dual clutch auto. Especially in manual mode.
Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I am almost an empty-nester, so I might not be your target demographic. But I sold my 2012 Civic Si to Carvana for more than I was asking for on Craigslist. That was a fun car to wind up, but I was looking for something I didn't have to push into 6k RPM to really get into the powerband. Folks here bitch about having to get the Coyote revving into 3-4k before it really wakes up, but for me, that's just fine. Maybe my next car will be a Challenger and I can floor it at 1k and just go. Whatever. Was it worth it? Of course! I'm not going to drive the wheels off this thing like I did the 3 Hondas behind it, but for now - I'm going to flog it like I'm mad at it. And it makes me smile every time I stomp on the loud pedal, which I get to do every day.

Last weekend, wifey and I were walking downtown to a show. (Led Zeppelin tribute band - Get The Led Out. Highly recommended.) We went through a crosswalk in front of a Challenger, and I explained I might have to go Mopar in case Ford decides electric is the wave of the future. She pleaded, "couldn't you go for something a little more... foreign, like a BMW or Porsche?" "No, dear, I'm hooked on 'Murican muscle," I responded. If Ford won't give it to me, I'm happy to give my money to Chrysler.

Until then... I'll flog it like a rented mule.

Last edited:

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I purchased my Mustang to replace my Porsche. There are some things about it that are good and some that are not.
The good:
10 year old Porsches lack a lot of modern electronics. Lots of modern stuff to play with and enjoy in the Mustang, like navigation, automatic headlights and digital dash.
Old Porsches can be incredibly expense to repair and don't have a good track record for long term reliability. An extended warranty costs $16k. My Mustang has a warranty.
Porsches are a bitch to mod. For $9K I got about 20 extra horsepower. If I want more it will cost over $30k. I can do a lot of mods to a Mustang for a lot less.

The bad:
Weight. A Mustang convertible weighs a lot. You can feel it everywhere, braking, accelerating, handling, response, general agility. It's no match for the Porsche.
The 10 speed automatic is a really nice transmission. But, it doesn't compare to a dual clutch auto. Especially in manual mode.
I'm surprised you didn't go with a Vette. That would be more comparable to a 911.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
The car I traded in to get my Mustang was a 2009 Cadi CTS-V I loved that car. I modded the hell out of the Supercharged LSA and the car never complained. However it was a supercharged V8 and once one of those hit 100k on the clock it has no real value and therefore it was time to let her go. Never had any problems with the eng. or Auto trans. The only issue was the replacement cost of the Magna ride shocks. the max life I got out of them was 40k and the cost was over 600.00 per shock . Miss the V but really am liking theMustang

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Have u test driven a mustang yet. If you haven’t you should I guarantee you won’t regret even thinking about it then. Jeeps are fun if you off-road but for driving on roads the mustang is so much. I’m guessing 0 to 60 will be cut in half if not more from your current vehicle and you’ll find it so easy to get up to 60 without evening giving the car much gas. There’s also plenty of clubs you can join if that’s something you’re interested in too as I’m sure jeeps also have a lot of clubs to join.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I traded a big turbo, bagged 2015 Focus ST3 in for my GT, I miss how it looked, the fuel mileage when I travel, the power... it was just as fast as my GT on e30 and meth, but had the low end and turbo rush. But I think I’d trade again. I got killer deals and made money when I sold the parts,, but trying to get a 4 banger to go fast is just a waste and I’m glad I finally realized that.

Also I never got the “Jeep thing” a good friend paid some 50k for theirs had a big star over the hood but was the crappiest interior and just hated being in it. Nothing was enjoyable until we got off road but I’d do a pathfinder or a Xterra for half that money.

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
I got my mustang and my brother-in-law loved it . He had to have one. He had his jeep fixed up nice 37" tires and all the offroad goodies. He loved the mustang for a month. The jeep was his daily and so was the mustang. He enjoyed taking rides in the evening on mtn dirt road in the jeep .Two months in he was trading the mustang on another jeep and not looking back. Jeep to mustang is a big swing. IMO if your into the offroad stuff and have no means to do so anymore the mustang love will fade quick from his experience. Now if you keep you jeep and can swing a mustang to throw in for fun you should be fine.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Absolutely yes. Took me 3 years to let go of the S197 (retro) styling and embrace the S550. The 18 pp1 was my match. ;).

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
We traded in a '12 Jeep SRT for our '18 GT Vert and I love it. It is a great mixture of performance and everyday convenience. Much to the displeasure of my wife I actually prefer to drive it over the '17 Z06 Vette. Heck I am trying to convince her to let me sell the Vette and Mustang to get a new Mustang with a Roush supercharger.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Traded a 00 GT for a 04 Mach 1 to a 14 GT to a 18 GT Once you join the family its hard to leave. :) They get better with ever generation.

Sponsored

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG
I traded a '08 Corvette and a '08 Cadillac CTS 4 for my '19 Ecoboost Mustang-
Both cars were fantastic and I loved them but at my age and there ages I started seeing problems in the near future and they would be very costly ones since both are/were very expensive cars. Miss them both but I really like this Mustang a lot.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While I didn't trade it on a Mustang, I traded my beloved '13 Wrangler in on a new F-150 RCSB with the 5.0 a month ago. No regrets, really.

I had every intention of keeping the Jeep forever (I ordered it) but the reliability wasn't there, too many unscheduled repairs under 60,000 miles that a babied 4WD shouldn't have. I've had four over the years and doubt I'll have another, reasons being quality (or lack thereof) and the fact that Jeep's pricing on them has become absurd.
jeeeep.jpg

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Had an 03 wrangler I bought used, was modified with 31's and massive articulation but it sucked sooooo bad as a DD. 200 mile range if you're lucky and you needed a full face helmet with a mic to talk to your passenger unless you didn't want any voice left once you got where you were going. Took it everywhere and it took me places I couldn't get out and walk. Traded it for an 09 mini cooper JCW and omg that was THE car! 400 mile range and after I modified it, could beat a M5 to 60 no problem and still got 30mpg driving like a pissed off teenager all day. Sold the mini to my best friend so it's still "in the family" and he's taking it even further than I did. Bought my 19 GT PP1 and this thing is so great, any sellers remorse just isn't felt. The mini beats the mustang in a race to 60ish but around 80 I'm in the lead. The mustang is way more comfortable and refined feeling, looks way better, and the sound.....all that really matter is the sound. Put all 3 in front of me and let me choose the keys and I'd take the mustang every time. It's a very well rounded vehicle that suits my needs very well. Ask yourself if you wanna keep playing off the road or start playing on the road.
mini.jpg

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
It traded a 15 Mustang EB (with a number of Steeda mods) for a 19 Mustang GT pretty much loaded with everything but Magna-ride. Here is how much I love my 19 GT. I currently have some medical issues that make it very difficult to get in and out of my Mustang. I kept the Mustang for long trips were I will not be getting in and out of it a lot. I also have a 19 Lincoln MKC for short drives that I will be making a number of stops. If I had to keep only one, it is a no brainer, the Mustang stays.
Sponsored