Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT Base
Yo,
I got a question, been doing research and preparing to pull the trigger on some mods. And I'm stuck at a crossroad.

I have a 2015 mustang gt with 3.15s and looking to get quicker. As of right now it feels slow to me and its lead me to wanting to switch the gears to 3.55s. But I'm hearing a circle D converter would be a better buy. I do not track the car and MORE IMPORTANTLY I have no experience whatsoever with a converter. Anyone got a quick explanation and if this would be a good more for me being that it's my DD? I do plan on doing a lot of NA mods: Headers Intake mani, cai, tune, wheels tires, and possibly cams if I'm still not happy.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My car ran 11.5@117 with a 4c converter. Headers and an e85 tune. The converter alone is worth about half a second when drag racing. That’s huge. About 5 car lengths. By the end of a 1/4 mile. Without going into the science of it. A converter gets you in your power quicker. It multiplies the torque the car is making. It’s not bad for a daily driver. You will notice the car revs a little higher before it changes gears. But that’s the trade off. Of using a converter. Really not much worse that stock. It’s a great mod for an automatic equipped car. You won’t feel 3.55 gears at all. The converter is a huge improvement over gears.

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
My car ran 11.5@117 with a 4c converter. Headers and an e85 tune. The converter alone is worth about half a second when drag racing. That’s huge. About 5 car lengths. By the end of a 1/4 mile. Without going into the science of it. A converter gets you in your power quicker. It multiplies the torque the car is making. It’s not bad for a daily driver. You will notice the car revs a little higher before it changes gears. But that’s the trade off. Of using a converter. Really not much worse that stock. It’s a great mod for an automatic equipped car. You won’t feel 3.55 gears at all. The converter is a huge improvement over gears.
Nice! So the converter will cause it to rev higher, but I'll have no issues with daily drivability? I do a lot of trips to the beach which are 45 min trips and my longest trips tend to be 2 to 6 hrs of highway. I just hate the slowness at the start of 3.15s.

Converter will give you the omg launch w/ a tire.
Is this converter causing the car to rev quicker? Or stopping the rpms from dropping to a certain point?

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Nice! So the converter will cause it to rev higher, but I'll have no issues with daily drivability? I do a lot of trips to the beach which are 45 min trips and my longest trips tend to be 2 to 6 hrs of highway. I just hate the slowness at the start of 3.15s.

Is this converter causing the car to rev quicker? Or stopping the rpms from dropping to a certain point?
As one that did the whole 3.15 to 3.55 diff swap I don't notice a huge difference. Hindsight being 20/20 I'd probably not do it again.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang

Converter allows the car to flash up instantly to the stall speed of the converter. You have to choose how much rpm you want. A 4C is like 4k rpm before it locks. Like having a manual and dumping the clutch.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yo,
I got a question, been doing research and preparing to pull the trigger on some mods. And I'm stuck at a crossroad.

I have a 2015 mustang gt with 3.15s and looking to get quicker. As of right now it feels slow to me and its lead me to wanting to switch the gears to 3.55s. But I'm hearing a circle D converter would be a better buy. I do not track the car and MORE IMPORTANTLY I have no experience whatsoever with a converter. Anyone got a quick explanation and if this would be a good more for me being that it's my DD? I do plan on doing a lot of NA mods: Headers Intake mani, cai, tune, wheels tires, and possibly cams if I'm still not happy.

Thanks everyone
Gears if you're doing anything besides drag.

@Bluemustang

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
As one that did the whole 3.15 to 3.55 diff swap I don't notice a huge difference. Hindsight being 20/20 I'd probably not do it again.
Ouch, that sucks I was thinking gears were the answer. Especially with 3.15s I figured 355s or 373s would give me that extra jump.

Converter allows the car to flash up instantly to the stall speed of the converter. You have to choose how much rpm you want. A 4C is like 4k rpm before it locks. Like having a manual and dumping the clutch.
That sounds like a good and bad thing. Good because it sounds like it snaps into the powerband and keeps you there. Bad because it sounds like it's always revd high up

Gears if you're doing anything besides drag.

@Bluemustang
I tend to kick it on open roads in Mexico or late night light to lights. Never dragging though.

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
So doing so research, stall speed is when the car reaches X rpm and then accelerates heavy. Kinda like how if you floor the gas pedal the car doesn't really kick til a certain Rpm. So with this being said. Is the converter really just moving the Rpms of when my car accelerates harder? And let's say that's at 4k, what becomes of driving around at 1.5k to 3k?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So doing so research, stall speed is when the car reaches X rpm and then accelerates heavy. Kinda like how if you floor the gas pedal the car doesn't really kick til a certain Rpm. So with this being said. Is the converter really just moving the Rpms of when my car accelerates harder? And let's say that's at 4k, what becomes of driving around at 1.5k to 3k?
The best way to understand how the converter works. Is to go to youtube. And watch several of the videos on the subject. The conveter locks up in higher rpms. Launch til about 3500rpm is where the converter does its work.

OP
OP
Remy_reign

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
The best way to understand how the converter works. Is to go to youtube. And watch several of the videos on the subject. The conveter locks up in higher rpms. Launch til about 3500rpm is where the converter does its work.
Thx m8,

I did a little checking on there, found two vids of guys with 4k converters. And learned a bit about stall speed. I'm thinking 0 to 3900 rpm the car functions close to normal and once it's at 4k it accelerates hard. So if I lower where it locks up at, like 3500k or 3k that just means the car will hit hard at those rpms or launching at those rpms would be ideal.
Sponsored