Sponsored

Bret Barber's Ported 2018+ Throttle Bodies - Info / Pics Inside, Available Now, no tuning needed

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
From AFS directly per my inquiry:

2018 Mustang Standard GT / F150 / Boss Throttle Body

Pricing:

• $200 Porting Only (Customer sends their throttle body into us)
  • $175 for return customers or when they purchase with the intake manifold
  • $300 for purchase of Ported TB outright Core returns accepted on Gen 1 and 2 TBs ONLY

They remain at 80mm to aide in ease of tuning; the inlet/outlet tapers are changed; the throttle shaft is thinned and the throttle blade is modified.

Yields 21% CFM increase in flow with no drivability or tuning issues and in most cases can be run on a stock tune. It picks up 5-7 hp/7-9 ft lbs of torque with big gains and throttle response and mid-range torque that you can feel.

Dynos forthcoming to share!
20190417_133524.jpg
20190417_133719.jpg
20190417_133434.jpg
20190417_133452.jpg
20190417_133442.jpg
20190417_133730.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Bump for pics, new info and updates.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Throttle blade screws are peen'd. First test passed.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Throttle blade screws are peen'd. First test passed.
I noticed that too. Seems like some high quality work.
I had a ported TB on a 4.6 2V motor and it did provide a noticeable difference in throttle response over the stock one.
Almost tempted to try this out.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Bret’s machine work and craftsmanship surpasses all the QC tests.
I’ve been running his Modded TB for two years on a daily driver (2015 GTPP) with zero issues w/o ECU tuning.
The HP gain isn’t the reason to do this Mod. It’s all about gaining throttle response while retaining the OEM 80mm aperture.

Last edited:

Sponsored

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Is the mustangs ECU setup to adjust for 21% more air flow without tuning? And no idle adjustments? I would love better throttle response on a swap with no tuning or issues.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Is the mustangs ECU setup to adjust for 21% more air flow without tuning? And no idle adjustments?
The simple answer to your question is: YES

Incoming air is not metered/measured at the TB. It is metered by the MAF sensor at the air inlet just after the air filter housing. Porting the TB does not interfere with the velocity to volume ratio of incoming air as seen by the MAF sensor.

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
The simple answer to your question is: YES

Incoming air is not metered/measured at the TB. It is metered by the MAF sensor at the air inlet just after the air filter housing. Porting the TB does not interfere with the velocity to volume ratio of incoming air as seen by the MAF sensor.
VooDooDaddy, thanks, that makes sense. So now I guess my questions are does the ECU have the capability to adjust after it gets different readings from the MAF than what it thinks it should get? The way I understand the MAF to work is that the wire heats up and how quickly the air cools it to a pre determined condition is what the ECU goes by.? So if the TB is larger and the MAF size stays the same then the velocity of air going through the MAF changes.? Which then changes how fast or slow the wire cools which then changes what the ECU sees.? If my thinking is correct so far then the ECU will need to have a range of parameters already set to be able to adjust? So will this new TB cause the readings to be in the parameter range? 21% seems a lot.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nice, yeah, if it doesn't introduce any tuning issues, it seems like a nice, easy way to pick up a few HP and some improved throttle response - and it's only $200 (if you core charge/refund on your stocker).

So for Gen 3 (MY18+) owners, they don't do a core charge? That would require either having the car down for the duration of the exchange or picking up an additional TB?

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, yeah, if it doesn't introduce any tuning issues, it seems like a nice, easy way to pick up a few HP and some improved throttle response - and it's only $200 (if you core charge/refund on your stocker).

So for Gen 3 (MY18+) owners, they don't do a core charge? That would require either having the car down for the duration of the exchange or picking up an additional TB?
Still not a bad deal, as long as the turn around time is fairly quick. I'm really thinking I might try this out based on my past experiences.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Is this an option for 15-17 TB's? Can't see Facebook at work so I can't see Air Solutions stuff here.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Still not a bad deal, as long as the turn around time is fairly quick. I'm really thinking I might try this out based on my past experiences.
Oh yeah, the work looks good, price looks good. I'm on the east coast though, so I'd imagine a week minimum even with fast shipping.

@BigBlue Can you ask what the scoop is with Gen 3/MY18+ TB service? I see an outright purchase is $300 (vs. sending yours in), so that include Gen 3 TBs? I see there's no core accepted, but for another $100, that's pretty good do not be down at all, and then I'm sure you could get that back by selling your stock unit here (for someone to have as an extra for the same type of service).

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Is this an option for 15-17 TB's? Can't see Facebook at work so I can't see Air Solutions stuff here.
wondering the same

EDIT: just contacted them facebook and they said it is possible

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
From AFS directly per my inquiry:

2018 Mustang Standard GT / F150 / Boss Throttle Body

Pricing:

• $200 Porting Only (Customer sends their throttle body into us)
  • $175 for return customers or when they purchase with the intake manifold
  • $300 for purchase of Ported TB outright Core returns accepted on Gen 1 and 2 TBs ONLY

They remain at 80mm to aide in ease of tuning; the inlet/outlet tapers are changed; the throttle shaft is thinned and the throttle blade is modified.

Yields 21% CFM increase in flow with no drivability or tuning issues and in most cases can be run on a stock tune. It picks up 5-7 hp/7-9 ft lbs of torque with big gains and throttle response and mid-range torque that you can feel.

Dynos forthcoming to share!
20190417_133524.jpg
20190417_133719.jpg
20190417_133434.jpg
20190417_133452.jpg
20190417_133442.jpg
20190417_133730.jpg

Sounds like a good deal.

I wonder if they will doing the same for the EB Tb’s?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
VooDooDaddy, thanks, that makes sense. So now I guess my questions are does the ECU have the capability to adjust after it gets different readings from the MAF than what it thinks it should get? The way I understand the MAF to work is that the wire heats up and how quickly the air cools it to a pre determined condition is what the ECU goes by.? So if the TB is larger and the MAF size stays the same then the velocity of air going through the MAF changes.? Which then changes how fast or slow the wire cools which then changes what the ECU sees.? If my thinking is correct so far then the ECU will need to have a range of parameters already set to be able to adjust? So will this new TB cause the readings to be in the parameter range? 21% seems a lot.
Again, the short answer to your question(s) above is: NO

You are making an incorrect assumption about how the MAF gets its "different readings". The airflow moving over the heated wire in the MAF will cool it at a rate that corresponds with the 1. velocity of the air, and 2. the air temperature.

Now here is the important part to remember: the "predetermined condition(s)" the ECU infers are based on tables pre-programmed into the ECU based on velocity of the air relative to the volume of the air moving past the MAF in the primary air induction hose/tube. As an example, if you were to increase the diameter, and thus increase the volume of the primary air induction tube, but the diameter of the TB stays the same, the air moving past the MAF would slow down, but would stay relatively the same at the TB at any given RPM. Without making a tuning change to account for this slower moving air stream past the MAF (but staying the same at RPM into/through the TB) the engine would be attempting to ingest the same amount of air but be getting a different reading from the MAF (because the slower moving air through a larger diameter tube is not cooling the heated wire in the MAF at the same rate per RPM), and thus the engine would not run correctly.

Ask yourself this question: Why, when we Mustang owners install a, let's say GT350 cold-air-intake, into a GT; why does this require a tuning change when we keep the original, unported TB in place?? In this scenario, the original TB does not, and cannot "inhale" more air than it did before, so why is a tuning change required? Because the diameter/volume of the primary air inlet tube/hose has increase and the velocity of air moving past it has slowed down at ALL RPM's but has stayed consistent at the TB, thus sending data to the ECU which is not matching the pre-programmed tables.

When you port the TB, it may be able to flow more air into the intake manifold, but the ratio of air velocity to air volume moving past the MAF does not change.
Sponsored