Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The 2015 has 11.3 cuft ft cargo space.

2019 has 9.1 cuft.

That quite a bit of space.

Head room and shoulder room slightly better on the 2019.

Biggest oversight by Chevy was you can’t put golf clubs in the back of the 2019. You can in the 2015. That was a MASSIVE oversight by Chevy.

They build the C8 around fitting golf clubs in the back as I heard one Chevy engineer say.
Didn’t know that about the golf clubs.

Part of the volume in the trunk was due to the profile of The car. The low roofline made the trunk opening smaller and lost some depth too.

Either way, let’s quit dissecting the camaro and focus on how ford can make the mustang lighter. That’s what everyone wants.

Smaller doesn’t mean more expensive, but same size and lighter means more expensive. That’s our conundrum.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would love to see that also but with 3/4 of the American population overweight that’s not going to happen.

I just hope it stays the same size but gets lighter. Camaro tried the smaller thing and smaller sales where the result.
In my opinion, Camaro's problems are not due to the size, but more to the ergonomics of the design. When I drove a Camaro it was fine as far as size, but I felt like I was in a cave. It's very similar to the Mustang, but the visibility out of the cabin just made it less fun to drive.

I think the Mustang could easily get a little smaller and lighter but still be able to accommodate large people.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
I hate the 'gotta have enough space for fat americans' troupe. Just make the car amazing and let the fatties worry about how they are gonna fit into it.
or show em to the dodge dealership. let em sloush into a charger, but lets make the mustang a little lighter boys. 200-300 lbs off, with a stiff chassis, c'mon we'd be monstrous. It would be like driving a FP Mustang GT-S all day.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What the car IS NOT, is a sports car. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too big & heavy.

This isn't personal opinion. It's reality and fact.
You set yourself up for all these butthurt people thinking they're driving "sports car"

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It’s an Internet forum, let people think what they want. For those of us who have driven a Miata, S2000, or any of the iconic British roadsters, we know what a “sports” car is.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Be able to get leather or active X fake leather in the non premium models. I personally hate cloth seats but don't need all the other upgrades bouncing into a premium model. Offering all the optional wheel choices on the base model would be nice as well. Why restrict the 19" and 20" wheel options to only the premium car?

That to me would be a good start, giving the base models a little more choice of stuff instead of forcing people into premium models.

As far as the sports car topic. I agree with what a few others have said. A sports car to me is a 2 seater, that puts the focus on driver engagement. The Miata is what I picture when someone says sports car. Sports cars to me, don't need to be fast don't need to offer amazing performance. They need to handle extremely well and be fun to drive

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Build the next Mustang with the newly developed light weight high strength steel and it will be lighter.

Last edited:

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like them to keep a manual trans but if they do drop it hopefully they will add a V8 ecoboost engine.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Slightly smaller and less weight are at the top of my list.

The S550 is a tank. I remember back in the late '80s and early '90s when '60s cars were still cheap and my buddies and I were all hot rodding and drag racing them. 1st-gen Mustangs and Cougars were soooooo much lighter. One of my buddies had one of the Starsky and Hutch Torinos at the time for a driver, and we ran it across a scale at the local scrap yard one day: 3800#. We all laughed at what a pig it was.....and now here we are with Mustangs with that much heft and size.

Granted, there's a tad more comfort/convenience/safety involved now, but you get the point.....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
It seems the #1 change would be lighter weight. A noble request. It can, of course, be done with lighter weight materials. Less face it, the size of the Mustang it not changing with safety regulations, etc. The cars content is not going to change either. Options = $, so the more the merrier.

So, I'm reminded of a quote from the former CEO of Continental Airlines, Gordon Bethune, "Do not ask someone what they want, ask them what they are willing to pay for".

What would you be willing to pay to save 100lbs, 200lbs, 300lbs? Nothing in this world is free. Think about it.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Well....personally, I'm unlikely to buy another new Mustang if it's larger and heavier than what I have now.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well....personally, I'm unlikely to buy another new Mustang if it's larger and heavier than what I have now.
Like I said in my earlier post, I am so disappointed Ford didn't go to an aluminum chassis/body like the F-150, and make the Mustang their car lineup in general. They could have easily kept the all motor base model with electric AWD higher end versions, and even a 4-door family sedan to compete with A7, 7-Series, and Jaguar XF. That would have been a lot of cars to justify the switch to aluminum.

Then, save the VooDoo engine for their own mid-engine sports car above the $60,000 mark.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Like I said in my earlier post, I am so disappointed Ford didn't go to an aluminum chassis/body like the F-150, and make the Mustang their car lineup in general. They could have easily kept the all motor base model with electric AWD higher end versions, and even a 4-door family sedan to compete with A7, 7-Series, and Jaguar XF. That would have been a lot of cars to justify the switch to aluminum.

Then, save the VooDoo engine for their own mid-engine sports car above the $60,000 mark.
And what would you pay for an all aluminum Mustang? Maybe someone with knowledge about materials cost can chime it but I’d bet you would be looking at least $10k. Also Ford is moving away from cars so higher end ones like you have mentioned would never happen. That said, we can certainly hope the S650 will be smaller and lighter.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It seems the #1 change would be lighter weight. A noble request. It can, of course, be done with lighter weight materials. Less face it, the size of the Mustang it not changing with safety regulations, etc. The cars content is not going to change either. Options = $, so the more the merrier.

So, I'm reminded of a quote from the former CEO of Continental Airlines, Gordon Bethune, "Do not ask someone what they want, ask them what they are willing to pay for".

What would you be willing to pay to save 100lbs, 200lbs, 300lbs? Nothing in this world is free. Think about it.
If the Miata can pass regulations, it's possible for the Mustang to get slightly smaller and pass regulations. It's just silly to say anything else. Don't be an apologist for Ford - be real.

I don't think people are asking for something crazy. I personally would like to save more than 300 lbs. That much might not be realistic, but that's what I would prefer.

And also if it's done only with expensive, light weight materials I'm not as likely to buy. I don't want a 3600 lb crossover SUV made from aluminum with a Mustang badge on it. I'm not hoping for future Mustangs to have a command seating position so I can see over other cars. I want the seats, hood, roof and trunk to be lower.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
If the Miata can pass regulations, it's possible for the Mustang to get slightly smaller and pass regulations. It's just silly to say anything else. Don't be an apologist for Ford - be real.

I don't think people are asking for something crazy. I personally would like to save more than 300 lbs. That much might not be realistic, but that's what I would prefer.

And also if it's done only with expensive, light weight materials I'm not as likely to buy. I don't want a 3600 lb crossover SUV made from aluminum with a Mustang badge on it. I'm not hoping for future Mustangs to have a command seating position so I can see over other cars. I want the seats, hood, roof and trunk to be lower.
Taking today's marketplace into account I do believe that i am a realist. I worked for a manufacturer for 24 years so I know a little about the process. There are huge costs involved in making something a little this and a little that. The S550 was a major change for Ford and the $50K price that we were all complaining about in 2015 now seems like no big deal. Will Ford plan another major change for the S650. Maybe but I doubt it will be in the direction we would all like to see. If you were Ford, what would you make? A 3600 lb. crossover SUV or a 3000 lb. 2+2 coupe. Of course we want the latter but the beancounters will want the SUV. Now that's reality.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.