Sponsored

With all the recent talk of unplugging the "nanny plug", I wouldn't recomend it.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I am guessing you have a tune on the car? Forced induction most likely if you spin third gear?
No lol factory radials and a cold day. I just spun from first to second to third instead of lifting off the throttle to regain some traction.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Mines unplugged 9 mos out of the year. Again I’m a tuned non drag mode 300a car. Car never sees bad weather. If fact, even in 55 degree air I know what the car does unplugged. The advancetrac slamming the throttle shut is much worse imo. But, for those that need/want it plugged all good... :).

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been seeing a lot of talk of the plug that completely disables the traction and stability control. I'd also seen talk of it on youtube etc.

I decided to try it out to see if i noticed a difference compared to just using the button to disabling traction control or advancetrac. Ya know, science. I didn't notice a difference, from a stop, from a roll, or highways speeds as far as response or speed. The ole butt dyno didn't notice anything, who knows if I'm right.

The one thing that did happen. The very first startup after unplugging the harness behind the air box. Upon startup I had a message that said "Steering Assist Fault Service Required". Of course the advanctrac and traction lights were lit up. Figured it was a weird way of the car saying you don't have any help if things go bad. I didn't worry about it as I've heard people drive with this unplugged, but never heard this part, and of course was not going to be an idiot.

Nothing was wrong. Steering mode was still selectable(i don't have drive modes, just steering normal, sport, and comfort) I've been driving it this way a couple days, this may have been the 3rd morning. I am backing out of my driveway this morning, and as i come to the end and go to turn, i don't have power steering, i also didn't have the steering mode selectable, it was stuck on normal. It had been fine for a couple days with the warning, but functioning correctly otherwise. So i pull over in the neighborhood, shut down the car. I plugged the nanny plug back in. Started up, and it was still seeing the fault. Turned the car off again at the next light gave it about 10 sec, turned it back on, same thing. So i just drove to work without power steering, no big deal, figured it would fix itself while driving. It did not. Sat for around 4 hours at work and when i started it up, it was fine, no warning, steering working again. Probably didn't need 4 hours, but more that a minute or so it may have been required

IDK, I just wouldn't recommend that you unplug it. Obviously i don't think any harm was done. Not like power steering is 100% necessary, but it sure didn't feel as good without it. But no need to deal with that, especially if it would have happened mid turn or something.

I have read of the steering fault just happening randomly(after looking today), but doubt it was random as it was directly correlated with the unplugging. Then being plugged back in.

Anybody else have this issue, from what I've seen nobody mentioned this happening to them when unplugging the connector. Aren't one or two of you running it unplugged all of the time?
EDIT: Found this online. My wrench was not lit up, but advancetrac and traction lights were.
maxresdefault.jpg
I am not sure as far as the steering light coming on. I left mine unplugged roughly 3,000 miles ago after my last dyno session. The only two lights that came on were the traction control lights and obviously they stay on. I have not had any issues, and it is my daily. I don't drive like an ass, but do get on it at times. I think it is all about the way you drive and having respect for power. I have never seen the steering control light and the plug is still disconnected and zip tied.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I would not unplug the connector and drive the car on the streets, you are asking for trouble.....you are risking loosing control.
giphy.gif

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Unplugging an active safety system on a daily driver that disables

1.Abs
2. Traction control
3. Advanced trak witch included stability management, slide control, auto brake control for slides.
4. All car roll management gyros

Is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. I am sure the system also ties into the airbag system to some degree.
It doesn't disable the ABS.

And folks drove around without all the other crap for 100 years, and didn't die as a result. These are performance cars, so anything that cuts the performance is silly. And they have such good chassis, brakes and tires, you have to be a monumental moron to end up crowd-surfing.

Here's a thought; learn how to drive your car, learn to not be a moron.

For those of us with the knowledge and experience, we don't want the fucking computers kicking in and making decisions for us. I got this.......don't do anything car, you might screw up what I'm doing to correct the situation.

......I can’t imagine the car is much fun on the PS4s at 55 degrees in the rain with no nannies.
Why? I've done 75 MPH in 35 degrees and rain/snow.....it's fine. Worst case scenario, you need to put the right tires on the car, just like with any other car. And if you have the wrong tires, the nannies can only do so much.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......what did we all do before all the traction stuff? 60's 70's 80's i learned to drive on dirt roads, and wet alfalfa fields, and snow covered township roads, then autox, and distant county roads.....
.....225 hp was max in us then...0-60 in seven second......0-100 in an afternoon......
Uuuuuhhhh............no.
street-hemi.jpg

BOSS429.jpg

1-2.jpg

There were TONS......literally TONS of cars with 400HP+, 500HP+.......lots and lots of cars. And they had BIG torque. Not the wimpy torque Coyotes put out. BIG torque.

And they had crappy suspension, steering, brakes and above all.....really crappy tires.

And yet.....somehow......folks managed.

Now folks need their electronic nanny woobies to feel safe behind the wheel. And they never actually learn how to control their cars.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....You live in Virginia. Spend much time in jail?
Of course not. Because I don't drive like a moron, throttle mashed to the floor, expecting the car to sort everything out for me.

Mustangs can be driven like Corollas, it's not like the throttle pedal is an ON/OFF switch.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Unplugging it is stupid. Any effect is purely placebo, unless you wanna show back to back dyno runs as proof.
Dyno has no bearing on the nannies. Not sure what your thought is on that or why you even mention it.

Real world applications vs dyno. I take the real world. :)
I don't know how the fuse compares to the plug, but I definitely had a difference between running with everything disabled then running again with the fuse unplugged.

Plug just seems like an easier to access spot and doesn't chance damaging the fuse.

IMG_20190106_135936.jpg
MVIMG_20190106_140853 (1).jpg

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Oh sh!t. This is a good thread. We should have 400 posts by noon.:crazy:

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
This devolved quickly. I seriously don’t care about anyone unplugging and daily driving the car.

My opinion is most people shouldn’t. Most people don’t push their cars on a daily basis. Most people like you said have had no racing/hard driving experience.
Exactly. There are many new drivers driving muscle cars on the forum, the last thing we need is eluding them to do something that may result in higher risk of getting into an accident!

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting some evidence. At first look it does look like disabling has some effect.

The first chart has a little notch around 2700 rpms. Do you think this is advanced trak pulling or just timing being pulled because of other reasons?
Can't say for certain. The first two runs were identical before I pulled the fuse for the third one. I can say that there were some false knock issues, but it should have been consistent across the three.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Of course not. Because I don't drive like a moron, throttle mashed to the floor, expecting the car to sort everything out for me.

Mustangs can be driven like Corollas, it's not like the throttle pedal is an ON/OFF switch.
This reminds me of those memes where there are 4 pictures showing what others think you do vs what you think you do vs what you actually do. Loud exhaust, must be driving a million mph. Disabling electronic nannies, you've basically already crashed now. When I first started driving, I couldn't wait for snow to go slide all over the place in, part of learning what a car can do IMO. Close calls, of course but isn't that what living is? Older now and while I don't go racing and sliding around every corner like I used to, I also wont be the one slamming on the brakes and throwing my hands into the air when the tires slip a little. I can drive just fine without any nannies because I respect the task at hand with what I have.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I've only heard of doing this for dyno use, has anyone with a 15-17 ever unplugged this at a track and noticed a difference?

I went to a track rental a few years back with a bunch of other M6G guys, I ran my car probably 30+ times that day without touching that plug and I did not have any trac control interference. I know that for a fact since the first few passes I made I was spinning the tires hard in first, followed by second. Never noticed any "bog at launch" issues from not touching this.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
The plug is unplugged on the dyno, because if runs are done in 7th gear (1:1) with a 3.15 gear ratio, the car will stop at 186mph which won’t be full rpm. Especially for the guys running up to 8000 rpm. Unplugging it disables the 186mph limiter as well.
Are you sure about the speed limiter thing? I thought GT's had a limiter at 155 that could be removed with a Tune. Never heard of the plug removing any limiter..

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Well, all i know is i don't like that my car wants to have a steering fault when i unplug it, lol. Looks like I'm the only one having the issue, so cant imagine it's normal.

You should never unplug it guys, safety first!!!!!

But when i feel like having some fun, safely, i would like to be able to use this option. For me it's not. Maybe i need to go get it checked, maybe not, haven't decided if i care enough.
Sponsored