Sponsored

With all the recent talk of unplugging the "nanny plug", I wouldn't recomend it.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
So I've been seeing a lot of talk of the plug that completely disables the traction and stability control. I'd also seen talk of it on youtube etc.

I decided to try it out to see if i noticed a difference compared to just using the button to disabling traction control or advancetrac. Ya know, science. I didn't notice a difference, from a stop, from a roll, or highways speeds as far as response or speed. The ole butt dyno didn't notice anything, who knows if I'm right.

The one thing that did happen. The very first startup after unplugging the harness behind the air box. Upon startup I had a message that said "Steering Assist Fault Service Required". Of course the advanctrac and traction lights were lit up. Figured it was a weird way of the car saying you don't have any help if things go bad. I didn't worry about it as I've heard people drive with this unplugged, but never heard this part, and of course was not going to be an idiot.

Nothing was wrong. Steering mode was still selectable(i don't have drive modes, just steering normal, sport, and comfort) I've been driving it this way a couple days, this may have been the 3rd morning. I am backing out of my driveway this morning, and as i come to the end and go to turn, i don't have power steering, i also didn't have the steering mode selectable, it was stuck on normal. It had been fine for a couple days with the warning, but functioning correctly otherwise. So i pull over in the neighborhood, shut down the car. I plugged the nanny plug back in. Started up, and it was still seeing the fault. Turned the car off again at the next light gave it about 10 sec, turned it back on, same thing. So i just drove to work without power steering, no big deal, figured it would fix itself while driving. It did not. Sat for around 4 hours at work and when i started it up, it was fine, no warning, steering working again. Probably didn't need 4 hours, but more that a minute or so it may have been required

IDK, I just wouldn't recommend that you unplug it. Obviously i don't think any harm was done. Not like power steering is 100% necessary, but it sure didn't feel as good without it. But no need to deal with that, especially if it would have happened mid turn or something.

I have read of the steering fault just happening randomly(after looking today), but doubt it was random as it was directly correlated with the unplugging. Then being plugged back in.

Anybody else have this issue, from what I've seen nobody mentioned this happening to them when unplugging the connector. Aren't one or two of you running it unplugged all of the time?
EDIT: Found this online. My wrench was not lit up, but advancetrac and traction lights were.
maxresdefault.jpg
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Guys I know mainly unplug it at the strip. I have yet to make a run with mine unplugged however.

When @Houston Kid had his car, if I recall correctly, even when he had Traction Control AND AdvanceTrac off his car still wanted to put traction control to the car when going down the track. When he unplugged it kept it off and the car ran a ton better.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Guys I know mainly unplug it at the strip. I have yet to make a run with mine unplugged however.

When @Houston Kid had his car, if I recall correctly, even when he had Traction Control AND AdvanceTrac off his car still wanted to put traction control to the car when going down the track. When he unplugged it kept it off and the car ran a ton better.
Yeah, I certainly don't have track numbers to back up the feelz. Also stock power.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
100% accurate. Running the 1/4 mile even with everything turned off, the traction control would kick in and the car would bog at the first sign of wheel spin. I was talking to my tuner and he said on the drag strip the nannies are so sensitive it might not even be wheel spin kicking them on. It could be the tire flexing just enough due to a super sticky track and the tires hooking up making the nannies think wheel spin is happening when in fact it's just the tire flex for lack of a better term. I'm not sure about that. I do know you get zero nannies with it unplugged. Unplug the nanny dongle and all was good. Zero nannies and the 1/4 mile time improved due to no traction control trying to kick in. Upon leaving the track, plug it back in, warning goes away and all is right with the world.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Unplugging it is stupid. Any effect is purely placebo, unless you wanna show back to back dyno runs as proof.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you personally run a new Mustang down the 1/4 mile on a prepped track with them on and then with them off?

Yes or no?

I can guarantee there is no placebo effect. With them on, car bogs due to traction control kicking in. On the same night at Houston Raceway Park, formally Royal Purple, made 2 runs plugged in. Car bogged (traction control kicking in) going 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd, Unplugged for the next two runs, zero traction control kicking in. Same night back to back to back to back runs. Real world application. Not on a dyno.

Unplugged, the car runs like a rapped ape for the entire 1/4 mile.

Dyno has no bearing on the nannies. Not sure what your thought is on that or why you even mention it.

What's the price of tea in China? I don't know nor do I care.

No one said it adds HP or torque. It's a traction control kicking in slowing the car issue. Not HP.

Real world applications vs dyno. I take the real world. :)

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
100% accurate. Running the 1/4 mile even with everything turned off, the traction control would kick in and the car would bog at the first sign of wheel spin. I was talking to my tuner and he said on the drag strip the nannies are so sensitive it might not even be wheel spin kicking them on. It could be the tire flexing just enough due to a super sticky track and the tires hooking up making the nannies think wheel spin is happening when in fact it's just the tire flex for lack of a better term. I'm not sure about that. I do know you get zero nannies with it unplugged. Unplug the nanny dongle and all was good. Zero nannies and the 1/4 mile time improved due to no traction control trying to kick in. Upon leaving the track, plug it back in, warning goes away and all is right with the world.
When I took my car to the track and disabled the traction control, the system would kick on and the car would bog down, killing my times. When I disabled advancetrak by holding the button down for 6 seconds IIRC, the nannies may not have been completely off, but it was like a different car. my first run with the advancetrak disabled, I blew through the tires in the first 3 gears. I had to figure out how to launch the car without spinning too much. While the system may not be completely off, it felt almost non-existent. At least, that was my experience. Try it both ways to see what is best for you. I was not running a drag tire, I was on the factory tires, so not sure if houstonkid is running a drag tire.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To the op I do not recall getting the steering fault msg. Only the wrench and traction control msg.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the A10 and even after holding down the button for 6 or 8 seconds, however long for the advance trac disabled msg to appear, nannies still kick in. The only way I prevented the nannies was by unplugging the wire.

Food for thought. Why would Ford make it so easy to do and get to to unplug it? I have no real evidence to back this up but it is almost like they knew people wanted to disable the nannies 100% so let's make it easy to do.

Just my .02.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I had the A10 and even after holding down the button for 6 or 8 seconds, however long for the advance trac disabled msg to appear, nannies still kick in. The only way I prevented the nannies was by unplugging the wire.

Food for thought. Why would Ford make it so easy to do and get to to unplug it? I have no real evidence to back this up but it is almost like they knew people wanted to disable the nannies 100% so let's make it easy to do.

Just my .02.
My car is a 6 speed. I wonder if the programming is different?
The plug is definitely there for a reason. It's needed supposedly when making a dyno run, but possibly for service reasons as well? Not sure.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did two different dyno sessions on mine and the plug was never needed. But maybe for some dyno application it is needed?????

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Unplugging it is stupid. Any effect is purely placebo, unless you wanna show back to back dyno runs as proof.
It's not too gain power ya dink.