Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sorry...sorry....

I missed ONE most important thing;

GET RID OF THAT STUPID FUCKING BASE STEREO WITH THE DIAL PAD!!!

For Christ's sake, even a base Camaro SS has a standard, modern infotainment screen.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Not real competitors here.

As far as the new Mustang it looks like they are going to go the route of bigger which means it will compete with the Challenger.

So to compete there they will need an improved interior space and materials.

I would also be surprised if they don't add a bigger EB engine option. Not much else needs to be done as they are the leader in the pony car segment for a reason.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Base model
DCT trans
DSSV suspension
ugly steel wheel
backseat available for $1
passenger available for $1
5.2 600hp All Motor. (they already make an aluminator 580hp 5.2 squeeze 20 hp from somewhere.)
make it 3200 pounds max.
19x10.5s 305s on all for corners.
Any color you want as long as its black! (ode to Henry Ford)

NO AWD NO HYBRID that craps too heavy!!

Make it ugly make is fast. Being fast never looks bad LOL.

Oh and not a damn penny over $50k

Think of it as something like a Ford Mustang version of a Z28.
I'm perfectly aligned with you. 600Hp all motor? I''d love that but they'd create a new gas guzzler tax just for the mustang. lol. I'm with you but I'm thinking they do something with turbos to keep the mpg down. I don't see a hybrid yet.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There is no solid definition for "sports car":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

So the name can be applied to almost anything and is a personal opinion. I don't think anyone is right or wrong arguing that it is or isn't a sports car.

On the other hand "Gran(d) Touring" historically applied to luxury cars that can sustain high speeds. Of which the Mustang is neither. But there are reasons to justify calling it a GT. Spa gain, you can argue for or against a Mustang being a GT car:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
giphy.gif

I have been saying this for years, until I'm blue in the face. Mustangs are NOT sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars. And I think people would be enjoying their Mustangs more if the really understood what they're supposed to be, rather than having unrealistic expectations.

Seriously, more people need to take 1000 mile cruises in these cars, to see what they're best at doing.

And trying to turn them into drag-cars? Jesus.....it's like trying to polish a turd. You're starting with the wrong car for what you are attempting.

But, whatever. It's your car, enjoy it as you will.
I don't think the drag car piece is as egregious as people thinking that, with some amount of money and parts, the car is going to handle like a Miata or a Lotus Evora. It's just not going to happen. The cars are too big, and weigh too much. Will a race-prepped, stripped, caged, Mustang handle better than a stock Miata? Yes. Will it be faster? Yes. Will it have climate control, a stereo, airbags, cushy seats, lane-departure warnings, etc, etc, etc? No. But the Miata will. Will a similarly race-prepped Miata out handle a race-prepped Mustang on a road course? Yes. Will it be faster? No. At that point, it's still a function of weight and power, but the Mustang will out-power most Miatas, unless you're going for a max-effort build.

Anyway, yes, these cars are meant to go fast, soak up a bunch of miles in a comfortable manner, and deliver a measure of on-track performance. The Aston Martin DB11 is a Grand Tourer. In V12 guise, it has over 600 horsepower, but it's more than 400 pounds heavier than the Vantage, which is a Sports Car, and despite having *only* 500 horsepower, will be faster than the DB11.

JR

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
500 hp, 5.2L V8, CPC.
Weight reduction.
DCT.
Still room to fit someone tall.
285/295 Square setup from the factory.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There is no solid definition for "sports car":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

So the name can be applied to almost anything and is a personal opinion. I don't think anyone is right or wrong arguing that it is or isn't a sports car.

On the other hand "Gran(d) Touring" historically applied to luxury cars that can sustain high speeds. Of which the Mustang is neither. But there are reasons to justify calling it a GT. Spa gain, you can argue for or against a Mustang being a GT car:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer
You do realize that "GT" is......a big badge right on the decklid......right? And yes, a Mustang is luxurious and can sustain high speeds. That's, like, exactly what it does.

What the car IS NOT, is a sports car. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too big & heavy.

This isn't personal opinion. It's reality and fact.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You do realize that "GT" is......a big badge right on the decklid......right? And yes, a Mustang is luxurious and can sustain high speeds. That's, like, exactly what it does.

An NSX is heavier and is a sportscar.

Please provide the binding definition and group that determines what a sportscar or GT car is. It's all semantics and a waste of time. Unless you just like arguing with strangers on the internet.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I can't tell if you're joking, trolling, or just dumb. None of that stuff will make it into a car that costs less than $50k, and stripper models with all the go-fast stuff is not something Ford does any longer. Getting the car down to 3200 pounds would cost astronomical amounts of money. The DCT alone seems to sticker for $20k, from what I've read, and DSSV suspension would be unobtanium in volume. Good luck hitting CAFE standards with a 600 HP engine at 5.2L and make it affordable.

Because they're completely different classes of cars. One is a Sports Car, and one is a Grand Tourer, or as close to a GT car as we get in the US. The Mustang punches above its weight class in terms of being sporty, but it's NOT a sports car. In the end, they're designed for two very different purposes, fit into two very different cost categories, and while they may compete somewhere on the Venn Diagram of car buyers, there's likely little cross-shopping of Corvettes and Mustangs, simply because the Mustang is predominantly a $25k - $40k car with a (relatively usable back seat), while the Corvette is $60k - $100k, with no back seat. Mustang competes with Challenger and Camaro, and to a lesser extent, the M2, 370Z, and FR-S/BRZ. Corvette competes with the Boxter/Cayman, 911, F-Type, M4, etc.

JR
giphy.gif

I have been saying this for years, until I'm blue in the face. Mustangs are NOT sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars. And I think people would be enjoying their Mustangs more if the really understood what they're supposed to be, rather than having unrealistic expectations.

Seriously, more people need to take 1000 mile cruises in these cars, to see what they're best at doing.

And trying to turn them into drag-cars? Jesus.....it's like trying to polish a turd. You're starting with the wrong car for what you are attempting.

But, whatever. It's your car, enjoy it as you will.

The Mustang is a sportscar, convince me I'm wrong.

Please provide the binding definition and group that determines what a sportscar or GT car is. It's all semantics and a waste of time. Unless you just like arguing with strangers on the internet.
What he said.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The Mustang is a sportscar, convince me I'm wrong.
The Mustang clearly says "GT" on the back. Convince me Ford is wrong.

And then convince me a 4000lb, 4-seater, soft, comfortable car is a "Sports Car".

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
As an old guy, I think of a sports car as a Triumph TR3, MGB, Austin Healey 3000, Datsun 240Z, and, of course, the Corvette. That said Ford considers our car a sports car. How about we all agree that our Mustangs are “FUN” cars.
F3DBA2C2-563B-4110-93E2-AE5243EFC1F9.jpeg
That's the government's pigeon-hole description of the car. Let's just ignore the government, they're a bunch of morons.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Number of seats, usually.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.