roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've decided the next mod is going to be headers (Most likely the ceramics from BBK), since they net about the same performance as ported manifold, for a similar part cost.

So before I make my purchase I was wondering if:

#1 Is there any other brand then BBK for headers?
#2 Are the chrome headers known to cause issues like they did on the 11-14 V6's?
#3 What other parts are needed to get them installed properly?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
#1 - yes but same price, harder to find, and relatively same quality

#2 - Nobody had reported issues, but what issues are you referring too?

3# - reuse stock gaskets, you will need new cats or a new catted h or x pipe that matches the system or have custom one made, O2 extensions and defoulers

#4 - or dont do any of that and save for BOOOOOST.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
#1 - yes but same price, harder to find, and relatively same quality

#2 - Nobody had reported issues, but what issues are you referring too?

3# - reuse stock gaskets, you will need new cats or a new catted h or x pipe that matches the system or have custom one made, O2 extensions and defoulers

#4 - or dont do any of that and save for BOOOOOST.
#2 - I've seen a bunch of stuff on youtube about the chrome headers having issues with getting corroded o2 senors or just melting stuff in general.

#3 - I live in texas so i was hoping to go catless and maybe shoot some flames when i after fire... is there a way to keep the check engine light from coming on? MPT is my current tuner and i'm pretty sure they wont clear codes for cats.

#4 - I'm currently a full time computer science major/student, in like 2 years when i have a 80k+ job ill go procharger or teriyaki tornadoes.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Nobody I know of here in the forums has reported issues with headers...YouTube is another thing all together, lol. The defoulers are what clear your check engine light.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody I know of here in the forums has reported issues with headers...YouTube is another thing all together, lol. The defoulers are what clear your check engine light.
The other thing i've heard from non mustang owners is that chrome headers rust pretty quickly. what material did you go with? Also from what i can find are defoulers just little extension tubes to pull your o2 sensors a little bit out of the exhaust stream?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
They discolor quickly, I wouldn't say rust.

Yes to the defoulers, it moves the sensor back more so it reads similar to what it would have before. Some are actually mini cats ($100/pair), but most are just an extension ($15/pair).

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Ceramic sets will keep their color and quite a it more in cost.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They discolor quickly, I wouldn't say rust.

Yes to the defoulers, it moves the sensor back more so it reads similar to what it would have before. Some are actually mini cats ($100/pair), but most are just an extension ($15/pair).
Ceramic sets will keep their color and quite a it more in cost.
So today my stang started throwing a p0430 code, so I guess it's time to move on headers, which ones would you guys suggest? Ceramic or chrome?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Just go chrome and save the money.l your going to spend enough getting these working and sounding right. I would personally think about getting some shorty headers and ported manifolds.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
So today my stang started throwing a p0430 code, so I guess it's time to move on headers, which ones would you guys suggest? Ceramic or chrome?
That's the code you'll have without the defoulers, P0420 and P0430. Just means an issue with the O2 sensor/cats. I would take it in for new cats or sensors under warranty first (it'll make sure your sensors are good and that your cats haven't started to fail) then go ahead with whichever option of headers you want. If you do shorties and keep the cats, you shouldn't need to worry about the codes. If you do longtubes, you might without the right extensions/defoulers.

I'd go with chrome to save the money. Ceramic will be a tad cooler in running temps though.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's the code you'll have without the defoulers, P0420 and P0430. Just means an issue with the O2 sensor/cats. I would take it in for new cats or sensors under warranty first (it'll make sure your sensors are good and that your cats haven't started to fail) then go ahead with whichever option of headers you want. If you do shorties and keep the cats, you shouldn't need to worry about the codes. If you do longtubes, you might without the right extensions/defoulers.

I'd go with chrome to save the money. Ceramic will be a tad cooler in running temps though.
I'm definitely going longtube for performance. But I dont believe cats are under any warranty, I have an extended warranty on the car but it's a 200$ deductible to use it and if I plan on removing them entirely in the next week or two there may not be any point to replacing them. If I go long tube should I go ahead and get the bbk h pipe or should I just have the shop fabricate a connector since I already have the flowmaster x pipe?

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just go chrome and save the money.l your going to spend enough getting these working and sounding right. I would personally think about getting some shorty headers and ported manifolds.
Should I get then heat wrapped or what ever then? Also how much would you expect install cost to be on long tubes? Not sure if I need to by the bbk h pipe or just have the shop fabricate something for me

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely going longtube for performance. But I dont believe cats are under any warranty, I have an extended warranty on the car but it's a 200$ deductible to use it and if I plan on removing them entirely in the next week or two there may not be any point to replacing them. If I go long tube should I go ahead and get the bbk h pipe or should I just have the shop fabricate a connector since I already have the flowmaster x pipe?
Cats shouldn't go bad, especially not at whatever mileage you have on your 17. They are a legally required emissions control device, definitely covered under the factory 3/36. There isn't a point to replacing them really, but I would always recommend getting the work done NOW in case it is a sensor issue and not a cat issue. If it is sensor related, could be the sensor, the fuse, or the wiring and you don't want to be responsible for chasing that down - especially after modifying it further.

Either route for bbk h pipe or fabricated setup works, just ask the shop in advance. If they aren't the greatest fabricators, get the bbk pipe and then have them adapt the rest of your piping to fit. The further back your issues are, the easier they are to deal with later on.

Heat wrapping can work but it can also introduce another point of failure and trap in moisture.