Bad tunes from Whipple?

Patmcgee957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Currently have my engine out since cylinder 7 piston blew out between the ring landings. Block is fine. Bought JE 11:1 pistons and new rod bearings. Looking for recommendations on what else I should put in the motor and what direction I should go with tuning. Car is a 19 gt with Whipple stage 2. Has 1200 miles on the car and 150 miles with the kit installed. Should I pulley down to compensate for the lower compression? Also has anyone had any luck getting refunded by Whipple for their tuning or should I just cut my losses with them? I’ve seen a couple other threads recently that people have been having issues with Whipple tuning. Is this common? Or maybe I’m just an unlucky one...
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Currently have my engine out since cylinder 7 piston blew out between the ring landings. Block is fine. Bought JE 11:1 pistons and new rod bearings. Looking for recommendations on what else I should put in the motor and what direction I should go with tuning. Car is a 19 gt with Whipple stage 2. Has 1200 miles on the car and 150 miles with the kit installed. Should I pulley down to compensate for the lower compression? Also has anyone had any luck getting refunded by Whipple for their tuning or should I just cut my losses with them? I’ve seen a couple other threads recently that people have been having issues with Whipple tuning. Is this common? Or maybe I’m just an unlucky one...
On the Whipple FB page, I’ve seen enough to let me know when I go Whipple to go a different route with the tune. I’ll be going with Lund, but enough posts on there about issues with the tune that comes from Whipple made me not even attempt to load theirs up.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I know you have 2019 mustang, but my Whipple Tune on my 2017 mustang with the Whipple Stage 2 has been great.I alway make sure my motor is operating at normal operating temperature before I ever make any boost on my motor.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Whipples latest gen 3 cal has a whole lot of changes vs prior cals, so it’s tough to say what caused the piston failure and if it’s addressed. I can tell you that I’ve logged a good bit of data on various whipple cals on my 2018 and the a/f ratio was safe, as was the ignition advance. On the 3.875 pulley and 93 I was getting some knock advance and when I pulleyed down to 3.625 I was getting knock retard. I wish I knew for sure what was going on when these engines failed.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is getting really interesting. So, I have a 19 with a stage 2 Whipple and I also had the complete kit with tune. I was seeing really bad knock constantly, like light throttle, wot, cruising etc. I left the whipple tune and went lund and knock disappeared. I’ve seen other people complaining of the same thing and there’s a user on here that just lost an engine to it also.

The 19 tune is different than the 18 tune and it’s seeming more and more like the 19 tune is jacked up and dangerous.

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Whipples latest gen 3 cal has a whole lot of changes vs prior cals, so it’s tough to say what caused the piston failure and if it’s addressed. I can tell you that I’ve logged a good bit of data on various whipple cals on my 2018 and the a/f ratio was safe, as was the ignition advance. On the 3.875 pulley and 93 I was getting some knock advance and when I pulleyed down to 3.625 I was getting knock retard. I wish I knew for sure what was going on when these engines failed.
Different tune than the 19 one though. All the people I’ve seen with problems are on the 19 tune.

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
At very least take everything to a machine shop deck the heads, tq plate hone the block, do manley rods, pistons witch you have and arp everything. If you have the money get rid that PBL and sleeve the block. I know its 2000 to 2500 but you'll never have to worry about it again

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
On my 18 the Whipple tune works great. I've data logged it a bunch and seen no issues. It would seem though that the people having issues with it are '19 model cars. Not sure what the difference is between the two though.

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
The 18whipple cars and 19 are different. They use a diffrent tune strategy. So you cant come pair 18 and 19 different tunes all together.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
The 18whipple cars and 19 are different. They use a diffrent tune strategy. So you cant come pair 18 and 19 different tunes all together.
I was wondering what the difference was. Sucks that people are having issues with the '19s.

Sponsored

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
I was wondering what the difference was. Sucks that people are having issues with the '19s.
Same.

I thought they were the same car. I almost got a 19, but they gave me a rebate for getting an 18, so it was a no brainer to me. Both were brand new. Glad I went with the 18 now.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
If I'm not mistaken, you drove the vehicle under load with the stock calibration. On a 12:1 motor, pump gas, cheap pistons, the knock system does not have enough authority to even remotely save an engine. Even at part throttle, we run some 20deg less than stock timing. Fueling, I honestly don't even know how that was possible to run but that would also be way off and would most likely peg the fuel system. Since IMRC failures set the cam's in default mode, cams would most likely be in a lock position, which would not be ideal since we lower compression via camshafts. While we've had some issues here and there, failures are extremely rare. Running one of these motors with stock cal has little to no chance of not damaging a motor. Then adding long tubes, X pipe also further deviates our calibration, which I believe your vehicle has.

Lower compression would help and you can run more boost, the compression is best suited for E85, but on 93, lower compression really helps and you can run more boost and timing. We recommend Manley pistons typically for these engines as they have a drop-in style forged that is quiet, simple and reliable. LUnd and PBD really have some awesome cals and can do many things we cannot do.

We ok'd to refund "tuning" even though we feel the damage was done prior to our calibration.

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wait...OP used the stock cal with the Whipple fitted? :shock: