Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
How can a 4 Banger Mustang be considered High Performance,not in my book at any price,not even free. LOL.
Wellllll

The people cried that the raptor being a eco H.O. v6 could never replace the V8 6.2,,,but yet the 2017+ Raptors are kings of the hill and run circles around most V8's.

So never say never.
Sponsored

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
Bang for the buck power out of the 2.3T High Performance. If this was available in 2018 , it would have been on my Mustang. The extra $$$$ is worth it for this new Performance Package option. :flag:

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
In 2024, I'll round up a 2022.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
No way it runs high 12s. The 2018 A10 Ecoboost ran 13.9 @ 97 mph (Motor Trend) and 13.5 @ 99 mph (Car and Driver). An extra 20 hp and a fatter torque curve won't cut that much time off to break into the 12s.
There is a guy on here that ran a 13.2 stock. Granted it was a hero run, still means that a 12.999 is possible with the hipo package

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
> projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque – the most powerful four-cylinder sports car offered by an American automaker

So if the Focus engine was built by Ford ('an American automaker') and presumably sold in USA isn't that statement utter bollocks? Because the Focus' outgoing engine made more power.
The Focus RS is no longer in production that is why they are saying that.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and that whole thread is there for you to re-read and understand that people were laughing at YOU, for being over the top and unable to discern the difference between what is throttle lag, and what is called turbo lag.

Again, Yes... people are still laughing at YOU, for not understanding this simple principal, that was not even part of an argument, but the ONLY thing you could bite on (in that discussion) because you are unable to follow it. You still think the ecoboost has turbo lag.. and people are laughing at you.
They certainly were not. Ah, how stubborn you are... your mind must be quite the interesting place. I've still yet to hear an explanation from you as to what causes this... uh... THROTTLE LAG :LMAO:

We all know you can remove all the nannies and make that throttle snap... & responds to the drivers inputs with much more precision. You can do this this on the GT, or the EB. And you pretend not to even understand or grasp that concept... and instead hammered a whole thread until people gave up on you and left.
See, the thing is, I explained to you that the GT and Ecoboost use the same throttle mapping, but you continued to ignore that and go on and on about how smaller displacement has more... I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh every time I think of this... THROTTLE LAG

Also, for what it's worth, YOU dipped out of that thread when people started explaining to you that the throttle lag you speak of does not exist. Hell, I even quoted your comments on the pricing of the car in that same thread just a couple days ago, proving that your outlandish claims were nothing but bullshit, and what do you know, you're nowhere to be found!

Throttle lag exist in non-turbo cars and you refused to believe it... yet ECU. You don't control the throttle plate, your ECU does. You are also unable to discern when it happens, or even aware of it in videos... when an engine doesn't go wide open... when the driver demands it.
This is just incoherent jibberish

when you can't step back and look at your tunnel vision.
it's not often you find pure, unadulterated irony like this from a real person. Absolutely hilarious

You are correct, it makes ZERO sense for ford to design a new motor for an extra 20hp, when they could do nothing other than slap the outgoing RS engine in the Mustang. Which was rated for 350hp. So why instead did Ford Performance help design a brand new 2.3 engine block, if they only wanted 20 more horsepower..?

Is it because the HPO doesn't come with 20hp more than the standard EB...?

Understand, Ford did not say the HPO has 335hp, they said the HPO's horsepower is projected to be 335hp (they are underrating the engine). Again... logically... why would a Focus RS engine in a Mustang not have at least it's rated 350hp..? And instead only have 335hp, while having a bigger turbo? (laughing!!!).

Let me repeat, if the outgoing Focus RS engine is 350hp/350tq... why not just put that right into the Mustang, and Ford would not have to do any of engineering or upgrades Carl W said Ford Performance did... Yet, instead of putting the RS engine into the Mustang, Ford told us they build a new bock and are putting bigger turbo on it...

That is what you call marketing... and not letting the cat out of the bag too soon. Is the GT500 700hp like ford suggested, or...?
[/QUOTE]

So if the Focus engine was built by Ford ('an American automaker') and presumably sold in USA isn't that statement utter bollocks? Because the Focus' outgoing engine made more power.
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone on this one. Understand, the FoRS was ONLY rated for 350/350 in overboost mode. When it wasn't in overboost, it put out 330/350... interesting, the same numbers as the HPP. Hmmmm

Can you provide a Source where Ford says they are using an old engine..? Or are you so mad at me, you will just come here and spew any garbage just to argue..?

The Mustang HPO has a brand new engine block (w/iron sleeves) designed by Ford performance. It also has a different turbo. If you didn't know this, then you didn't listen to Carl, or have cared to read at any depth. Nothing more I say, can help you.
some of the responses in this thread are from such ignorance... *some* of you who are replying need to go back and re-read the Ford release.

Here it is for a refresher:
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...igh-performance-package-for-2020-mustang.html

It’s a brand f’n newly designed engine, it’s not an “outgoing” engine. Show us in ANY factual documentation where it’s stated that the NEW 2.3HiPo is an older generation RS engine - go ahead I’m waiting for the factual link AND credible media source.
From the exact article posted:
“The Ford Performance Focus RS 2.3-liter engine is a high-revving marvel, and anyone who’s driven this EcoBoost engine instantly loves how quickly it responds and delivers power,” said Carl Widmann, Mustang chief engineer. “When our team got the chance to try this specially built engine in a Mustang, we immediately agreed, ‘We have to do this.’"

Additionally, it says NOTHING in that OFFICIAL FORD press release about the "build engine" you continue to go on about. So again, talking out your ass. Any other questions?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so who’s running out and buying the 36k 4 banger? Maybe get this train wreck back on track.
I will sorta buy a part of it... the decklid :)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
jake_zx2 said:
“The Ford Performance Focus RS 2.3-liter engine is a high-revving marvel, and anyone who’s driven this EcoBoost engine instantly loves how quickly it responds and delivers power,” said Carl Widmann, Mustang chief engineer. “When our team got the chance to try this specially built engine in a Mustang, we immediately agreed, ‘We have to do this.’"

Additionally, it says NOTHING in that OFFICIAL FORD press release about the "build engine" you continue to go on about. So again, talking out your ass. Any other questions?
If you would read just a little further in that SAME article, instead of trying to take sub-sections of the article out of context, you would have read this:

Most powerful EcoBoost engine yet in a Mustang

To make their project a reality, members of the Mustang team traveled to Valencia, Spain, home of the Ford Performance-tuned 2.3-liter engine, to convince plant management to build a new variant of the turbocharged four-cylinder specifically for Mustang. Then, with the Ford Performance-designed engine as a starting point, they tuned the EcoBoost to more broadly and responsively deliver a projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque achieved with premium fuel (per the SAE J1349 standard).

Having secured production of the die-cast alloy block and high-performance cylinder head, the engineering team specified a 5 percent larger 63-millimeter twin-scroll turbo compressor and a larger radiator, then calibrated the engine to run both Ford’s 10-speed SelectShift® automatic and 6-speed Getrag manual transmission.

The 2020 Mustang 2.3L High Performance Package is designed to run 0-60 in the mid-four-second range on premium fuel, with top speed increasing to 155 mph, a 10 mph gain over the 2019 EcoBoost Performance Package and 34 mph faster than the base EcoBoost Mustang.

“It’s not just the horsepower gains over the standard 2.3-liter EcoBoost, it’s the broader torque curve that delivers 90 percent of peak torque between 2,500 and 5,300 rpm, which is 40 percent wider than the base EcoBoost engine,” said Widmann. “Plus, horsepower holds stronger up to the 6,500-rpm redline – enabling more usable power and torque for enthusiasts and weekend autocrossers to enjoy.”

Helping to deliver 143 horsepower per liter, the new 2.3L High Performance Package includes a fully active quad-tip exhaust system with a signature tuned sound.
Read that again... The team went to Spain and BUILT A NEW VARIANT. Not only is it a new block, but the article also states “high performance cylinder head”, which leads readers to believe the cylinder head will also be “new” compared to the prior EB 2.3. Now unless someone can deny what’s in that article with other facts, what is stated in the article IS deemed as TRUE.

What is it that you can’t comprehend? And in no way am I bashing you, but what you’re claiming that the engine is an outgoing RS engine being used in the new HiPo 2.3 S550 is totally false.

Just because I own an EB PP, don’t think for one iota I’m in here pounding my chest for 2.3 owners, as I myself have owned prior 5.0’s and DOHC’s (and still have a Cobra) - but you’re on some kind of high horse (no pun intended) that the S550 GT is the “almighty” and you tramp in here trying to be all knowing....

You may want to rethink how you reply to members, because some of us have way more experience and Mustang knowledge than what you may think. I’ve owned 20 Mustangs to date, had some gutted to shells and built up and belong to a multitude of automotive forums providing useful tech. I post facts - not spew BS to start flame wars or down trod other members, regardless of what they own or what knowledge they have or don’t have... but your posts are pretty ignorant in the sense that you come off as the “know it all” and anyone else is just too below yourself - kind of like a pompous :curse: - but again, I’m not at all judging you at all, just stating the way your posts read and how they are being interpreted.

You haven’t posted any facts to back up your prior posted claim:
“The HPO shares an engine with the OUTGOING Focus RS...”

Still waiting for the factual article or hyperlink to back up your above statement.

The new HiPo 2.3 doesn’t share an engine with the RS - it’s a new engine designed specifically for the Mustang, again, based on the facts of the article. I didn’t write the article, nor did I travel to Spain with Ford Performance, so maybe you can write to Carl Widmann @ Ford and have him give further clarification to ALL of us.

Cheers! :like:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you would read just a little further in that SAME article, instead of trying to take sub-sections of the article out of context, you would have read this:

Read that again... The team went to Spain and BUILT A NEW VARIANT. Not only is it a new block, but the article also states “high performance cylinder head”, which leads readers to believe the cylinder head will also be “new” compared to the prior EB 2.3. Now unless someone can deny what’s in that article with other facts, what is stated in the article IS deemed as TRUE.

What is it that you can’t comprehend? And in no way am I bashing you, but what you’re claiming that the engine is an outgoing RS engine being used in the new HiPo 2.3 S550 is totally false.
You're buying into the manufacturer jargon. It's "new" alright... new to the Mustang, that is

All the "upgrades" they listed are the same upgrades that were listed for the Focus RS 2.3 as compared to the EB Mustang. And considering they make the same exact power and torque, it's hard to imagine Ford would be stupid enough NOT to just use the engine they already have sitting around (albeit with different mount points... see "new engine block"), especially with a 10 month deadline

Just because I own an EB PP, don’t think for one iota I’m in here pounding my chest for 2.3 owners, as I myself have owned prior 5.0’s and DOHC’s (and still have a Cobra) - but you’re on some kind of high horse (no pun intended) that the S550 GT is the “almighty” and you tramp in here trying to be all knowing....
See, this is where you show some serious insecurity. If you'd look back on my previous posts on this car, I've said many times that it on its own is an excellent car, and I was really hoping for it to be cheaper than a GT because it'd be a great high performance option for those who can't quite afford the GT. But with the car costing MORE than the GT, it in no way compares, and is quite the ripoff comparatively

You may want to rethink how you reply to members, because some of us have way more experience and Mustang knowledge than what you may think. I’ve owned 20 Mustangs to date, had some gutted to shells and built up and belong to a multitude of automotive forums providing useful tech. I post facts - not spew BS to start flame wars or down trod other members, regardless of what they own or what knowledge they have or don’t have... but your posts are pretty ignorant in the sense that you come off as the “know it all” and anyone else is just too below yourself - kind of like a pompous :curse: - but again, I’m not at all judging you at all, just stating the way your posts read and how they are being interpreted.
I speak to w3rkn that way because he is an absolute moron and regularly posts inaccurate information with absolutely no backing evidence whatsoever. I have very little tolerance for ignorance, and he reeks of it

You haven’t posted any facts to back up your prior posted claim:
“The HPO shares an engine with the OUTGOING Focus RS...”

Still waiting for the factual article or hyperlink to back up your above statement.

The new HiPo 2.3 doesn’t share an engine with the RS - it’s a new engine designed specifically for the Mustang, again, based on the facts of the article. I didn’t write the article, nor did I travel to Spain with Ford Performance, so maybe you can write to Carl Widmann @ Ford and have him give further clarification to ALL of us.

Cheers! :like:
I will say that there is nowhere that directly says that the HiPo shares the engine with the RS, but that's not for the reason you think it is. I can almost guarantee that when it gets in consumer's hands, it will be revealed that it is just the same engine as the RS. But if Ford came out and said "yeah, we just recycled this engine from a car that is notorious for head gasket failures and that we just axed from our lineup and lightly modified it just to fit in the Mustang", it would do them NO good. The better move for Ford to make is to tout their "all new*" engine without including the "*to the Mustang" disclaimer to get blind prospective buyers all hyped up about it... and you're falling right into the trap

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
It is my understanding that the new 2.3 high performance engine is basically the same Focus RS engine with some differences.

"Capacity utilization at Ford’s Valencia, Spain, engine factory gets a boost from the ’20 Mustang, as it will adopt the Focus RS engine for a new affordable performance version coming this fall. The RS’s 2.3-liter EcoBoost inline-four has been turned 90 degrees for the longitudinal, rear-drive application, but don’t expect it to be called RS—that’s already claimed in the segment by the Chevrolet Camaro. Instead, the car will go by the more ungainly 2020 Ford Mustang 2.3-liter High-Performance Package.

Key to the transformation is the adoption of the Focus RS’s high-performance cylinder head, which allows for “a lot more boost” compared with the standard 310-hp, 350-lb-ft 2.3-liter Mustang EcoBoost four, says Carl Widmann, the model’s chief engineer. Widmann’s engineering team fitted a 63-mm twin-scroll turbo compressor, which is five percent larger than was used in the Focus RS, and a larger radiator to the new Mustang. Engineers then calibrated the 2.3 to couple with both of the pony car’s transmission choices, a 10-speed automatic and six-speed Getrag manual"

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The team went to Spain and BUILT A NEW VARIANT. Not only is it a new block, but the article also states “high performance cylinder head”, which leads readers to believe the cylinder head will also be “new” compared to the prior EB 2.3.
You have to be seriously high on the same koolaid Ford Marketing is on to think any of those assertions have merit based on that document. An engine turned 90 degrees is sufficient to claim "new variant". The same engine with different tuning and likely a different cam is a "new variant". The Focus' cylinder head wasn't a high performance item? Car manufactures in poor financial health are especially keen on recycling parts every which way they can even if it's detrimental to their long-standing reputation or competitive position. They make up for it with marketing spin.

Ford needs a 2.3L Mustang that will keep units flowing - if for no other reason than to keep the necessary plants open and the people employed. The world financial situation is looking pretty damn dire and I'm sure they have projected that 5L v8 sales are going to fall off a cliff should the situation deteriorate. The current engine tune is showing some serious limitations. Frankly I question why they thought it was ok to release it in the first place. My GTI is considerably more responsive and nimble. It may technically have a bit less power but it doesn't sign off and gasp for air like the EB does at an embarrassingly low RPM. To their credit the Focus engine would seem to be just that answer and they already have it under production and hopefully got their QA figured out so they don't repeat the mistakes of yesteryear and can cash in on the margins. If the assertions about torque curve breadth and maintaining power way deeper into the RPM are indeed true, kudos and why the hell didn't Ford do it before?

I suspect the current 2.3 incarnation was intended for light pickup trucks and run of the mill sedans equipped with AT where if the engine signs off early is no big deal. They slapped it into the "budget" Mustang because they didn't have anything else handy and the CAFE gods have to be appeased by hook or by crook. Anything to keep S550 chassis numbers flowing and to rub GM and DoDGE noses in the ground.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to know what it will cost me to buy the new motor and drop it in my '17 EB. But I'll wait a while so the aftermarket parts makers and tuners can get up to speed with it.
why not cut this shit and drop a Coyote instead :?

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
So Focus RS is around 3400 lbs 350 hp and lbft with AWD and Ecoboost Mustang ranges from mid 3500 to 3600 lbs depending on the trim. With the upgrades the car will gain some weight and has 330 hp 350 lbft of torque. A base mustang gt is 3705 lbs with 460 hp and 420 lbft. I don’t see any reason skipping a base gt and going for an ecoboost. Not to mention gen 3 coyote with just a $300 E85 flex fuel tune is putting the car around 500 hp crank.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
They certainly were not. Ah, how stubborn you are... your mind must be quite the interesting place. I've still yet to hear an explanation from you as to what causes this... uh... THROTTLE LAG :LMAO:

See, the thing is, I explained to you that the GT and Ecoboost use the same throttle mapping, but you continued to ignore that and go on and on about how smaller displacement has more... I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh every time I think of this... THROTTLE LAG.

Also, for what it's worth, YOU dipped out of that thread when people started explaining to you that the throttle lag you speak of does not exist.
Now, more People are laughing at you...

You don't know what causes throttle lag, when we already told you..? Honestly, you were just told in the post you quoted and you are still trying to play like you don't know, or understand..?

Understand, that new cars use a Engine Control Unit (ECU) that control the throttle. As the throttle in modern cars are NO LONGER directly controlled by the driver and their gas pedal. The gas pedal is just an input device now... & does not directly control the throttle. (There is software between your right foot and the engines throttle.)

Throttle lag is when you fully press the gas pedal and nothing happens..... because the ECU is trying to predict what the driver wants. That idle time... is throttle lag. I do not know how to make it any more simpler for you. But just accept that this is how it is done in the automotive industry now and that algorithms define how an engine responds, and not how fast you step on a pedal...!
^^^

Hell, I even quoted your comments on the pricing of the car in that same thread just a couple days ago, proving that your outlandish claims were nothing but bullshit, and what do you know, you're nowhere to be found!

This is just incoherent jibberish.
Yes, you quoted my expected options price, so what, it was a guess...!
I was not privy to that information, so my price estimates are off. Again, so what? My fully loaded pricing was spot on, but you overlook that, because you are angry.

Again, what does a Mustang GT w/magneride and 301a option cost..? <--How did you get the price difference so wrong? Did you make a bad guess? Should we all be laughing at you because of this?

Also, I have been unable to post in that EB thread for well over a month now. Admin revoked my posting privilege for that thread. (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.) I was letting the cat out of the bag too soon. So I am curtailed.
^^^

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone on this one. Understand, the FoRS was ONLY rated for 350/350 in overboost mode. When it wasn't in overboost, it put out 330/350... interesting, the same numbers as the HPP. Hmmmm

Others have already responded here, to you.

But you are making it out to sound, as if everyone in Detroit is lying to you. So there is no point in having a conversation if you can't accept that the Focus RS is no longer in production and that a new RS is on the way.... with a brand new engine.

I know, it is inconceivable to you... that Ford Motor Company & Ford Performance would design a new block for the up-&-coming RS. Which has to compete with all the other hot hatches coming out in Europe. And while they do, Ford might as well mitigate the cost, and offer the SAME engine also in a high performance version Mustang, too.

Sounds like you are just angry, unable to think and just tryharding here... give it a rest please.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Again, the guy above if it came down to base gt vs loaded eco. That’s a no brainer for myself and my peers. The interior and everything is worth it for the lesser hp and tq and way better mpg.

Not to mention, my area and my age, people aren’t buying high cylinder engines. The fad here is turbo and lower cylinders I’m 28 and all my friends and rocking turbo 4’s in everything.

All the older gentleman’s are rocking 8 cylinders, maybe because it’s more expensive and we want to save money and cheaper car.

But imho. Comfort over some power loss is not bad, it’s a good trade off with the mpg
Sponsored