green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Again, the guy above if it came down to base gt vs loaded eco. That’s a no brainer for myself and my peers. The interior and everything is worth it for the lesser hp and tq and way better mpg.

Not to mention, my area and my age, people aren’t buying high cylinder engines. The fad here is turbo and lower cylinders I’m 28 and all my friends and rocking turbo 4’s in everything.

All the older gentleman’s are rocking 8 cylinders, maybe because it’s more expensive and we want to save money and cheaper car.

But imho. Comfort over some power loss is not bad, it’s a good trade off with the mpg
At 32, my 2018 GT is my fourth V8 Mustang. Yes it started out as just a base GT.

I'd rather have the power and sound. Gas mileage isn't much worse that my Edge either.

I've suffered through enough four cylinder economy cars for my lifetime.

The day that Ford eliminates the V8 option will be the day that I'll be done buying new Mustangs.

I can see the fun of a turbo four cylinder (had an 89 Probe GT before the rust killed it) but it's just not for a Mustang.
Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
At 32, my 2018 GT is my fourth V8 Mustang. Yes it started out as just a base GT.

I'd rather have the power and sound. Gas mileage isn't much worse that my Edge either.

I've suffered through enough four cylinder economy cars for my lifetime.

The day that Ford eliminates the V8 option will be the day that I'll be done buying new Mustangs.

I can see the fun of a turbo four cylinder (had an 89 Probe GT before the rust killed it) but it's just not for a Mustang.
The first thing my wife does when she gets in our GT is put it to “track exhaust”. I think something would get lost in the translation if similar were to occur with a 4-banger.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
What was this thread about again :crazy:
I think it's mostly a pissing contest between people without a lot of real information, therefore leaving everyone free to make up their own facts. I will say the odds of this engine being all new are approximately zero. It will be a new part number, in fact every part on it may be a new part number, but that doesn't mean it's "new". It will be a derivative of the existing 2.3 lineup.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok, now that we are no longer dealing with facts and just pure speculation I want to add that this new engine not only has the regular forged Ecoboost crank, but now has forged "H" beam rods, forged pistons and a pressed in plate to make it a closed-deck block. The head is now 4 port exhaust to get rid of the crappy exhaust sound. The output is 400 crank hp.

Upgrading to a bigger aftermarket turbo/intercooler and exhaust will get you 500 hp. Upgrade the fuel system and you'll see 550 hp

There you have it-a 550 hp Ecoboost Mustang ala 2JZ(Toyota) strength.

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's mostly a pissing contest between people without a lot of real information, therefore leaving everyone free to make up their own facts. I will say the odds of this engine being all new are approximately zero. It will be a new part number, in fact every part on it may be a new part number, but that doesn't mean it's "new". It will be a derivative of the existing 2.3 lineup.
99% of this car is a parts bin from the California Special grill to the GT rear spoiler and 50 Year LE wheels.

Last edited:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Instead of playing with the eco mustang, Ford should bring back the V6 or even use the ecoboost V6 in Taurus SHO’s since the car is about to become history soon.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
The V6 in my 2011 Mustang was nice, but it felt gutless below 3500 rpm. It was like driving a 4 cylinder car. I did like the sound at 7k rpm, though. While I've never driven the ecoboost Mustang, I'm sure it's very similar to driving my wife's A3. Has much more punch down low due to the turbo. But power delivery will be jerky due to boost building up.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Well this whole thread is circular logic and jumping to unfounded and unsupported (aka wishful) thinking.

Are you posing the question in the vein of "hitting 335hp out of a turbo 2.3L is easy with retired RS parts" or that the 335HP is over optimistic? The current mass-produced "state of the art" hovers around 250HP (GTI, Bmw), or 300 for full-zoot specials. We don't know how many people will jump for the HiPO but to your point, no, recycling the "retired" RS engine should hit ~330 without much trouble.

I'm sure you'd much prefer that the HiPO use the new Focus engine but I can't see that happening for at least 2 more years if then.

On a side note, I totally see what the "throttle lag" guys are talking about. There is a HUGE hole in the throttle connection somewhere between 60-80 percent travel. I expect a remap will clear that right up. My V6 had something similar though not quite as pronounced.

My post in questioning the 335hp was rhetorical (not in vein), it was to mock the utter ignorance & shill attempts.

Because 335hp is what the current 2.3EB can already do. So why would Ford need to day anything to the 2.3 Ecoboost, to get 335hp Mustang..?

And again, if Ford is just using the RS engine (for the first time ever in a mustang), that engine comes with 350hp.. and if they put that into the Mustang HPO and then claim 335hp, they are underrating the engine. So these naysayers opinions are not even of facts, they are just trolling the thread.

Because even an idiot knows, if Ford uses an RS engine in the Mustang HPO, and adds a larger turbo to it (bigger than RS's).. it will have more horsepower than the RS had.

That right there^.. is why people keep arguing that the HPO engine isn't anything special… because they won't admit Ford doesn't need to do any of the things they publically announced, just to get to 335hp. When Ford's own Performance Tune gives us that.

So when you remove their argument, they have nothing left but to attack you & pretending to not understand the logic behind my posts. But tell us again, why would Carl mention a new block, new sleeves and a new turbo...? If they only needed 20 more hp...? Which is still 15hp less than the RS rated engine...

The answer to all of that^ is really simple... the Mustang HPO's projected horsepower of 335hp is a lowball figure. We know where the HP limits for the 2.3 block are from all the tuners. We know what the replacement 2.0 block can take... now we are going to find out what this Ford Performance block can take, with iron sleeves.

I bet it is more than what the RS engine could take, because ford is putting on a bigger turbo, so..

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I can't believe you started with that sentence... and finished with THAT sentence. It's quite obvious who here doesn't know jack about ECUs

1. The ECU doesn't "PURPOSELY interferes and hinders a car's ability to have full throttle"
2. That is not why people tune their cars. People tune their cars to adjust parameters like AFR, timing advance, VCT, etc. Then again, you probably don't know what any of those are
3. THROTTLE MAPPING AND RESPONSE TO PEDAL INPUT ARE EXACTLY WHAT WE'RE FUCKING TALKING ABOUT. HOW DENSE ARE YOU?

it's really hard to imagine someone being THIS much of a moron
Yes, I am calling you a Moron. You are putting words into my mouth (again lying) to make yourself seem special.

The ECU purposely interferes with everything... that it's job! To interpret what the driver wants/needs. That interpretation isn't always the same, spot on, or instant. In those cases, you have lag in the response from your car. This can be intentional, or not but it happens in modern cars.

Additionally, when you hook your engine up to a tuner, you can get into the forscan codes, etc and can change the parameters of how your car drives, or how your transmission behaves, etc. I know people who hook tuners up to their car and use it for datalogging, not to tune their cars. So how can you sit there with a strait face an tell us why people mess with tuners...?

Specially, when you have clearly stated in your posts, that the ECU can not interfere with anyone driving experience, and will not cause lag... which makes you an absolute freakin moron...!

That's called Traction Control, buddy. That's not fucking THROTTLE LAG :LMAO:

Yes, the ECU can cut power if traction control is left on. What does that have to do with ANYTHING?
So, your car hesitate to accelerate with traction control..? Then I guess the ECU can after all... cause the throttle to lag and not instantly give you 100% horsepower to the rear... right? Can you name any and all instances where the ECU will cut power... when the driver doesn't want, or know it is happening..? It happens all the time, you just are not aware of it.

s no difference, because in your mind, turbo lag doesn't exist in modern cars! (you know, even though you just explained the car having turbo lag right there in the fact that it takes 2300RPMs to fully spool the turbo)

I am not, nor have I ever, fibbed on this forum. You, on the other hand... hooooooooo boy, do we have a delusional one here
I'm not "bashing you", I'm trying to get some reason through your thick fucking skull.
Again, you are lying... even after I corrected you, you throw out white liars as you backpedal. You do not need FULL BOOST, to have boost.

2.3 EB has positive boost at 900rpms. Turbo is already spooling... (don't get angry)

You NEVER ONCE mentioned the PP2 until now. In fact, I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned PP2. But my numbers have ALWAYS matched, and if you REALLY don't think so, then go ahead and quote exactly where they didn't. I'll wait... oh, and I'll also wait for the other things that I asked you to quote and you magically couldn't procure... interesting how that works, huh?

I'm not comparing a premium car to a base car. You can go ahead and quote where I did magride means nothing, because the car will still get outperformed. That's like saying "you can't compare the ZL1 1LE to the GT350R because the GT350R has Magride!"... no, that doesn't mean a single thing. It's just a scapegoat to get out of admitting you have the inferior car
Logic dictates you compare cars at a similar price point. In this case, the options don't mean shit, because the GT with all the same options absolutely obliterates the Ecoboost and also costs a good bit more. They really aren't even in the same league. Comparing a base GT to the HiPo however... well, they're the same price, have similar amenities, and might have similar performance in at least 1 aspect. However, the GT will still come out on top, so it's a downhill battle for the EB
Again, you are lying. You remarks & comments are a spill over from the thread you keep referring to.
Post #199
Post #263

And your post
Post #264 <---

"I'm not talking hi-po alone. The PP2 a $6500 option, and that's probably about what the handling package alone will cost. That will likely also require 101A for the toggle switches, so add in $2000. We've already almost hit that $8960 defecit, and we haven't even counted the hi-po option yet. Let's break that down... This comes with all the CS appearance goodies, so we'll even be a bit conservative and say half of the CS package is $1000. It seems to have active exhaust standard, so there's $895. Then, the engine... let's just assume there's a $500 upcharge tacked on for that. We're currently at almost $2k over the price of a base GT. That's why they can be compared... this car will likely end up costing more than a base GT for not as much performance"

So kindly bugger-off, you troll. Nobody was comparing the base GT, they were comparing it to the pp2 (for it's handling) until you started backtracking. Equally equipped cars is how people compare performance... and cross shop dude... why u so angry?

I don't give a fuck who you are, the way you represent yourself in this forums shows you know NOTHING. You are clueless, hopeless, and really just an embarrassment. Thank god you don't own a Mustang, so I can maintain as little similarity to you as possible. Also, quote 1 person that's "laughing at me" in this thread. I'll wait for that one, too

Are you joking? You speak with nothing but fallacies, yet try to say that I can't speak with facts and am obtuse? You are absolutely blind. Also, I'm not attacking anyone. Maybe you feel attacked? "yOu MaD?"

What's funnier is that you can't comprehend an EXTREMELY simple concept that multiple people in this thread have tried to explain to you. Talk about helpless
It seems you give a great deal of who I am, and not at all concerned with other posters who tell you the exact same thing as me, or posted to tell you that you are wrong, or without all the facts. You ignored them too. You won't deal in facts and those same people who have questions about my facts.. asked. And now they know. You still refute facts and are lying to backpedal.

Your speculation is that the Mustang HPO is a turbo, therefor no good and can't be worth it's price and can't have a special engine. But gave no reason why, for any of your posts, except hatred.

You are over-the-top in your posting and aggressive manner. You do not even take the time to read what people are saying and just jump to conclusions, because you don't like them.

Nobody cares dudes... go fester in your hatred elswhere.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The V6 in my 2011 Mustang was nice, but it felt gutless below 3500 rpm. It was like driving a 4 cylinder car. I did like the sound at 7k rpm, though. While I've never driven the ecoboost Mustang, I'm sure it's very similar to driving my wife's A3. Has much more punch down low due to the turbo. But power delivery will be jerky due to boost building up.
The V6 desperately needed a tune (I used Unleashed). It was a totally different car once I did that and worthy of the title 'Mustang'. The '19 ecoboost without a tune is a sad sack - my VW GTI is *way* better engine/throttle response and fun to drive and feels much faster. With a (albeit still canned) tune and in Sport mode, the Ecoboost is now every bit as lively and fun to drive as the GTI (controlling for heft) and once you tickle the boost into the 20psi strata, just leaps ahead. Again, with the tune (I would expect the recently released FP is similar) the 4-banger is no longer a cruel joke, but worthy of the name plate.

I agree that on principle a 4-banger never belongs in a Mustang and should have been equipped with the 3.6(?)L ecoboost.

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
The 3.5L ecoboost would get worse fuel economy than the 5.0, and would cost more. The 3.5 eb is an upgrade over the 5.0 in the F150. It would be fun for Ford to put the GT engine in the Mustang as a ZL1 killer. I couldn't imagine the price tag of that Mustang, though.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Again, the guy above if it came down to base gt vs loaded eco. That’s a no brainer for myself and my peers. The interior and everything is worth it for the lesser hp and tq and way better mpg.

Not to mention, my area and my age, people aren’t buying high cylinder engines. The fad here is turbo and lower cylinders I’m 28 and all my friends and rocking turbo 4’s in everything.

All the older gentleman’s are rocking 8 cylinders, maybe because it’s more expensive and we want to save money and cheaper car.

But imho. Comfort over some power loss is not bad, it’s a good trade off with the mpg
And you exemplify exactly why Ford marketing is right with the Ecoboost. The HiPo is an easy way to make some extra money. The PP1, PP2 are cash cow packages. Everyone always factors in what it would cost to upgrade a Mustang to those parts. But when Ford does it at the factory, they save the money on the original parts, and to them the upgraded parts are only a little bit more expensive, so they make a killing on HiPo, Perf. Pack, Handling Pack, etc...

Baby boomers = get V8s, b/c they're older and can afford it, plus its what they grew up with... old loud muscle car mentality
Millenials = get 4 cyl turbos, b/c they're younger, can't afford the luxury of bigger engine, higher gas expense, etc. Grew up with Fast & Furious... racer mentality

And I'm a Gen X, I think I'm in the middle. I want a 6 cylinder turbo. ;) I had a Cayman S, and I put a turbo on it. I've had a couple of 5.0L Mustangs, and they were nice. But to be honest I prefer the howl of a Porsche engine in the high RPM range, so I'll be going back to one in the near future. I've also had three F-150's with 3.5L ecoboost engines. My current vehicle, 2017 Explorer Sport has a 3.5L Ecoboost.

Another analogy:
Baby Boomers = drag racers
Gen X = road racers (at least thats what I like to do, HPDEs)
Millenials = autocrossers

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
If you're buying these cars for the interior you might want to go check out something different. I'd pay to have all the stupid gadgets and leather removed honestly, the leather seats are the worst I've ever sat on in 20 years of driving and the Sync 3 system is retarded. I'd rather just have the old school buttons and a couple of knobs for everything. The only thing I actually like about the premium is the drive modes.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The seats in my EcoBoost Premium are by far the most comfortable of any car I've ever owned. I recently took a 2600 mile road trip starting in the Midwest, across the plains and up into the mountains. If I had to rank features of the car in order of enjoyment, the seats would come right behind the 31 MPG achieved while averaging 75 mph. I experienced temps ranging from the 90s all the way to below freezing, and the seats kept me comfortable the entire trip. I'm 6'3", and 185 lbs, so finding comfortable seats is difficult. Typical road trips for me usually include frequent stops (every two hours) to hike and stretch to avoid pain. That was completely unnecessary on this trip: I logged several 250+ mile, non-stop legs with no stiffness or soreness.

The next feature on the list would be the Sync 3 system. It integrates seamlessly with Android Auto, giving me hands-free access to all the entertainment options on my phone. I listened to hours of music and podcasts, and caught a few ball games on MLB's At Bat app. The answer to pretty much any question that popped into my head was a button push away: "Hey google!" On one stretch of road with spotty 4G I switched to the Sync 3's built-in navigation system, and was able to locate and book a pet-friendly hotel (had the pooch along for the ride) on my route, all without taking my eyes off the road.

Sync 3 is consistently rated by professional reviewers as one of the easiest-to-use, least buggy automotive Infotainment systems. How would you make it better?
Sponsored