Sponsored

Video: GT350 Crash At The Nurburgring

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but your resident MAGNAAAAAAAARIDE call-out asshole
But what if the wheel was magnEtized? Have the 'Ring run one polarity on the metal crash barriers and if the field strength is high enough the car will be repelled before it makes contact, thus saving the precious wheel.

What's not to like? :idea:
As to soft barriers jacking costs - there are notorious corners for crashing with bad sight-lines. This is one of the top 5 I suspect. They don't need to cocoon the track in bubble-wrap but intelligently addressing the major problem spots is surely good for business.
Sponsored

tweekdout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 6m
I have to ask for all the folks mentioning driver error - how many of you have driven (even in a rental) on the ring? I only had three days on it from a rent-a-rig and while you could get a rhythm in it's ~17 miles of 160 turns, it takes locals at least 10 months to figure out what works (and that just focusing on RWD / AWD / FWD configurations). I just don't know any other track like that outside of rally courses.

The driver was over their own threshold though. Adrenaline is a bit nutty there - imagine what a light day looks like there traffic-wise let alone what it does to someone that's not used to it

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I have to ask for all the folks mentioning driver error - how many of you have driven (even in a rental) on the ring? I only had three days on it from a rent-a-rig and while you could get a rhythm in it's ~17 miles of 160 turns, it takes locals at least 10 months to figure out what works (and that just focusing on RWD / AWD / FWD configurations). I just don't know any other track like that outside of rally courses.

The driver was over their own threshold though. Adrenaline is a bit nutty there - imagine what a light day looks like there traffic-wise let alone what it does to someone that's not used to it
Me.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Out of curiosity, I've not tracked before either... however, did this occur on the first pass or was this lap 2? Additionally, I noticed he had no spotter but I wonder if anyone goes to any laps with a range of suggested speed for a turn? Like that turn even with a F1 shouldn't exceed more than 45 Mph. I think he was going 60 at least.

I'm not perfect either but I'd hope when I track I take the lap 1 as a way to set a base line and I'd be conservative on the turns and get a feel. maybe set up 10 mph on lap 2 on the turns but my goal would be not to wreck. screw lap times.. lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Out of curiosity, I've not tracked before either... however, did this occur on the first pass or was this lap 2? Additionally, I noticed he had no spotter but I wonder if anyone goes to any laps with a range of suggested speed for a turn? Like that turn even with a F1 shouldn't exceed more than 45 Mph. I think he was going 60 at least.

I'm not perfect either but I'd hope when I track I take the lap 1 as a way to set a base line and I'd be conservative on the turns and get a feel. maybe set up 10 mph on lap 2 on the turns but my goal would be not to wreck. screw lap times.. lol
For the 'ring with so many turns if you can memorize them in one lap and then speed up on lap 2 you are a superstar. I need more than 2 laps on a "normal" ~14 turn track.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Hey Millhouse and Tyshenry, take your conversation elsewhere. Jeez.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As I was writing it out, it came to me it's not as easy as said then done. Especially when your adrenaline is pumping but I would hope in my case that I'd remember to take it nice and easy. However, that accident is not a life lesson that I've experienced so I'll never know until I track whether the outcome will be the same or a success.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I would of agreed with you until last October when I lost a tire. Suprisingly enough Sport cup 2s. I will post a pic once on my phone. My wheel never hit the ground. It popped the bead and folded the tire in half as I was breaking into a corner at the end of a long straight. The rim just road inside the folded over tire. I had no control at that point. I just kept on the binders and tried to grind off speed. Everything would of been fine, had there not been a car on the fast line in the corner, running cool down speeds, in the middle of a session. I got most the speed boiled off, but still tapped him, and messed up my car, his seemed fine except for the tire scuffs, from me trying to veer away from him and the good tire bumping his car. My wheel was for the most part ok, really muddy and missing some powder. The brakes were so hot they thought the car was on fire. Post mortem it looks like the wheel got hot enough I slipped the bead several times, and it finally gave up the ghost. Nothing I have ever come acrossed in my 20 years of trackdays. You can bet I am investing in some brake ducts, better wheels and better tires!
Again, not flat either. And clearly I am more of an expert than you are because this is not a tire failure. It's DRIVER failure. Again x2, GO. TO. THE. TRACK. Mr Expert. Mark your tire walls with a marker and see how much of that ink rubs off from cornering. It is more than routine that your wheel rim comes within an inch or so of the track surface.

Jesus, apparently track experts don't need to go to the track anymore...

EDIT: If it were a flat tire, there would be sparks flying and chunks of asphalt flying from the wheel digging into the track surface especially with a car that heavy, those speeds, and that type of lateral movement. The rumble strips would have wrecked HAVOC on the car, not gone smoothly over them like a speed bump. You would have heard a terrible nails on a chalk board type of sound from the wheel draggin' ass on the surface. Not tire failure. Period.
20181009_174622.jpg
20181009_174633.jpg
20181009_175222.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
^^^^ are those 6gr's?

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Yes, yes they are! To be fair I bought them when they first came out. They were on of the first light wheels, sub 5000 dollars that allowed you to fit lots of rubber and still have a flush fitment. I had actually been shopping wheels when this happened. I also had no complaints in the tires or wheels to this point. When it was dry and the tires were warm, my car handled amazingly. I have Stance X3 coil overs, steeda bearings, bumpsteer kit, and the altered ball joint link. Along with that I am running the BMR equipment to firm up the rear subframe and diff. I set my own alignment and scale my own car. It was really moving this day, and this was during my 5th session, which was a mix of advanced and intermediate. I noticed in a couple braking zones my car was not responding as sharply as it had in the morning. I chalked it up to the track getting warm, and me needing to slow down a bit. I was doing 152 mph at the end of a long straight with a 90 degree right hander. I came on the brakes at the very beginning of the braking zone, the wheel ripped out of my hand a bit, I gathered the car and slid forever. I have never wrecked on or off track period, this was my first time. My car was beeping at me and I assumed it was because I broke it, but no it was idling just fine. The beep which I believe I heard going into the corner now, was my TPMS showing the drivers side front tire down. The corner worker comically confirmed it, by stating "holy sh*t dude you should see your tire". To bring this thread full circle, Signature is on my short list. I have also spoke with Weld and Apex. I will probably run Continental trackday slicks from now on.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
As you know, this shouldn't have happened. What pressures were you running and what alignment settings were you running?

How many track days on the tires? How new (shelf life) were the tires ie) how fresh were they?

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Start out with the simple stuff.
1. Tires have a March 2017 date code on them
2. This was there second track day, approximately 8, 20 minute sessions, two in the rain
3. They had been to work maybe 3 times and 2 cars and coffees. I would say maybe 60 road miles
4. 38 psi at the beginning of this session, when it is cold I run 34 psi

As for Alignment
1. 2.3 degrees negative camber D and 2.1 degrees P
2. 6.4 caster and 6.1 caster respectively
3. I run a 1/16th toed in

I have the rear alignment specs and scale weights, but not sure they are relevant. During the rebuild I am working at moving weight to the center of the car, to make it less polar. Also my passenger side rear tire is light, so I am going to out the battery over it. Neither here nor there. The failure was completely unexpected, and for reference the wheel structurally lived. Now could it have handled heat and flexing better? I am hoping so on my replacements and I have added lots of brake cooling.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would of agreed with you until last October when I lost a tire. Suprisingly enough Sport cup 2s. I will post a pic once on my phone. My wheel never hit the ground. It popped the bead and folded the tire in half as I was breaking into a corner at the end of a long straight. The rim just road inside the folded over tire. I had no control at that point. I just kept on the binders and tried to grind off speed. Everything would of been fine, had there not been a car on the fast line in the corner, running cool down speeds, in the middle of a session. I got most the speed boiled off, but still tapped him, and messed up my car, his seemed fine except for the tire scuffs, from me trying to veer away from him and the good tire bumping his car. My wheel was for the most part ok, really muddy and missing some powder. The brakes were so hot they thought the car was on fire. Post mortem it looks like the wheel got hot enough I slipped the bead several times, and it finally gave up the ghost. Nothing I have ever come acrossed in my 20 years of trackdays. You can bet I am investing in some brake ducts, better wheels and better tires!
20181009_174622.jpg
20181009_174633.jpg
20181009_175222.jpg

Jesus..........

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I believe Jesus was there. Everyone was all right and the cars were not to bad.
Sponsored