ATM Intercooler installed

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Lol I remember that, I honestly don't know what it was, I sort of thought it was to just direct air to the intercooler. I did not reuse it as it did not fit my new one. However I had nothing that was left unplugged, no codes, no lights that I am aware of.
Thanks for the info.... good to know!
Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
You can remove the actuator motor from the shutters after removal, plug it back into the harness, then strap it with zips behind the bumper out of sight. Also, even though it will throw a code if not plugged in, it will no turn on the check engine light.
i think you can also use FORScan to turn off AGS. that should prevent codes too.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Just took the car out this morning when it’s not hot (77F) and wow, FP cal, ATM intercooler, and 1 step colder plugs pulls harder and faster! No lag in response, if anything it’s faster with the ATM.

@Cardude99
I noticed driving yesterday (I’m in Tucson, Oro Valley) that in the afternoon when it was 95 outside, the car felt sluggish. However, I tried driving it hard and never was the ATM intercooler the least bit warm afterwards, almost cool to the touch. I’m assuming this is just going to be how it is in AZ without an air/water option? An air to air intercooler physically can’t drop temps under ambient so all summer, timing is going to be pulled.

Is there a realistic benefit with going with an aftermarket radiator for AZ?

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just took the car out this morning when it’s not hot (77F) and wow, FP cal, ATM intercooler, and 1 step colder plugs pulls harder and faster! No lag in response, if anything it’s faster with the ATM.

@Cardude99
I noticed driving yesterday (I’m in Tucson, Oro Valley) that in the afternoon when it was 95 outside, the car felt sluggish. However, I tried driving it hard and never was the ATM intercooler the least bit warm afterwards, almost cool to the touch. I’m assuming this is just going to be how it is in AZ without an air/water option? An air to air intercooler physically can’t drop temps under ambient so all summer, timing is going to be pulled.

Is there a realistic benefit with going with an aftermarket radiator for AZ?
Ya the summer months are going to be a crap shoot here no matter what. I can tell that my car definitely pulls harder then it did last year with the elevated temps. End of the day, 100 degrees is 100 degrees. At least when your on it the charge temps will be within 10° of ambient and not 50° to 60° over ambient. I did get to use it briefly when the temps were in the 60's and man did it pull like a freight train. Wait until late October, your car is gonna wake the hell up and In a great way.

Nothing we can do to our cars outside of meth injection will lower the temps to below ambient since there is no air to water options. I don't think investing in a larger radiator is worth it unless you see elevated temps when tracking it.

Unfortunately this is the price we pay for living in southern AZ

Reactions: Cxp

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Thanks @Cardude99

To put into context I felt the same sluggish response 3 weeks back on the stock intercooler when it was only 77 outside. So there is still major progress... it’s just AZ for ya.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Thanks @Cardude99

To put into context I felt the same sluggish response 3 weeks back on the stock intercooler when it was only 77 outside. So there is still major progress... it’s just AZ for ya.
If you ever up in North PHX let me know. We can meet up sometime.

Reactions: Cxp

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
One guy did a limited run of air to water intercoolers but it was more meant for drag racing. They also only get you to ambient unless you put ice in the water tank as well (which was what he built them for, drag racers to run cold water to get super low charge temps)

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Nothing we can do to our cars outside of meth injection will lower the temps to below ambient since there is no air to water options. I don't think investing in a larger radiator is worth it unless you see elevated temps when tracking it.
Indeed, I haven't been losing as much power during the summer with the WMI kit. If you have a way to monitor your charge temps, you'll see that it can reach above 150F when it's above 110F outside and you're stuck in a stop and go traffic with the A/C on.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Any consensus on the ATM charge pipes? I stayed with stock but may upgrade these later.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Any consensus on the ATM charge pipes? I stayed with stock but may upgrade these later.
I ended up going with the CVF charge pipes because they looked good and the price was right since Jason was offering a discount. The quality and workmanship is awesome and they work well with my ATM intercooler. Plus the cold side pipe has a methanol injection port if you ever go that route.
IMG_3842.jpg
IMG_3843.jpg

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up going with the CVF charge pipes because they looked good and the price was right since Jason was offering a discount. The quality and workmanship is awesome and they work well with my ATM intercooler. Plus the cold side pipe has a methanol injection port if you ever go that route.
IMG_3842.jpg
IMG_3843.jpg
Did you have any trouble getting the hot side lower coupler on? It went on easy on the stock IC, but I couldn’t get it on the ATM.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hot side was a pain for me too, cold side went on no problem but the hot side did not want to cooperate, eventually we got it on. Granted I used the stock pipes for now, plan on upgrading to cvf in the future.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have any trouble getting the hot side lower coupler on? It went on easy on the stock IC, but I couldn’t get it on the ATM.
I had no problem at all with the hot side. Maybe I got lucky? :whew: My difficulties were with the cold side bottom coupler. Finally got it oriented correctly, tightened the bottom pipe to coupler clamp, then forced the coupler down on the intercooler outlet and tightened that clamp, then went up top and hooked up to the throttle body. This was after struggling for an hour to get the bottom on after doing the top first. On the hot side, I did the bottom first, so maybe that is the key.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I had no problem at all with the hot side. Maybe I got lucky? :whew: My difficulties were with the cold side bottom coupler. Finally got it oriented correctly, tightened the bottom pipe to coupler clamp, then forced the coupler down on the intercooler outlet and tightened that clamp, then went up top and hooked up to the throttle body. This was after struggling for an hour to get the bottom on after doing the top first. On the hot side, I did the bottom first, so maybe that is the key.
Yeah, I found that it was much easier doing the bottom first in both sides, but still couldn’t get the CVF coupler on the ATM on the hot side. I finally re-used the factory one, but it’s a little short, and made it tough to do the top, but I finally got it together.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Yeah... so my car is still learning at 500 miles post FP calibration.... it keeps waking up.

The ATM intercooler was a champ today when it was 85 out... very impressed so far. Next time it gets closer to 100 out in a few weeks the tune should completely learned and we’ll see how it does.
Sponsored