Sponsored

2017 Shelby Gt350 "Service Powertrain Immediately" warning

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Greetings all,

Just an update; June 5th of 2018 my local 'dealer' attempted to repair a warranty cruise-control failure in my '17 Gt350. (The had car defaulted to limp-mode and the orange warning lamp illuminated.) After replacing the switch, then a complete throttle-body, the EEC unit, the alternator, the clutch, pressure-plate, throw-out bearing and slave cylinder they were still at a loss. Had they checked the TSB's they would have found a known problem; the 'trigger-wheel' on the output shaft was 'improperly torqued', thus creating a conflict in 'information-flow'. After ten months, yes TEN months friends-and-neighbors, the Shelby is back in my possession...but not without one final insult: the windshield was broken, probably by the 'technician', with a center punch. The police could easily see the indentation and pointed it out. The service writer appeared to be shocked, but two days later I finally had a new windshield added to the list of parts I probably did not need. I'd already filed a Lemon Law suit after forty days at the dealer, and will shortly be receiving a $9500 settlement, with Ford responsible for all fees. There is no moral to this extended proctological exam provided by Ford; I'm just happy I'm old enough not to get out of control and start lobbing incendiaries, not that I would if I could, or anything....just sayin..
Sponsored

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
...yes, otherwise the car has exceeded my expectations. I had an original '66 Cobra, 427 with two-fours, once..way back when they were relatively 'affordable'. It was a terror; the only automobile I've ever owned that would break traction, with both carbs opened, at a hundred miles an hour on dry road. This is much more sensible, if there is such a thing. I'll hang on to it for a bit; with what I can get for it, and the money I've saved, when the time comes I can get into a new Gt350 with zero payments. After all that's happened I suspect the local dealer will probably refuse to deal with me, though; no biggie, plenty of Ford dealers in the Baltimore area. It HAS been a severe cluster, though, and I'm glad it's over...NICE BULLITT, by the way! Be well..thanks for the input..

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow, crappy dealer technician for sure! Sorry to hear about your horrible dealership experience. A friend of mine recently bought a Ford and asked if I could recommend a dealership. I said, "No." Not to say I don't ever go to the dealership for service, because I do. And sometimes I'm even satisfied with their work. But based on past experiences I can't recommend them to a friend.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Glad to hear you got your car back and it is in full working order. What a nightmare that must have been!

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Greetings all,

Just an update; June 5th of 2018 my local 'dealer' attempted to repair a warranty cruise-control failure in my '17 Gt350. (The had car defaulted to limp-mode and the orange warning lamp illuminated.) After replacing the switch, then a complete throttle-body, the EEC unit, the alternator, the clutch, pressure-plate, throw-out bearing and slave cylinder they were still at a loss. Had they checked the TSB's they would have found a known problem; the 'trigger-wheel' on the output shaft was 'improperly torqued', thus creating a conflict in 'information-flow'. After ten months, yes TEN months friends-and-neighbors, the Shelby is back in my possession...but not without one final insult: the windshield was broken, probably by the 'technician', with a center punch. The police could easily see the indentation and pointed it out. The service writer appeared to be shocked, but two days later I finally had a new windshield added to the list of parts I probably did not need. I'd already filed a Lemon Law suit after forty days at the dealer, and will shortly be receiving a $9500 settlement, with Ford responsible for all fees. There is no moral to this extended proctological exam provided by Ford; I'm just happy I'm old enough not to get out of control and start lobbing incendiaries, not that I would if I could, or anything....just sayin..
I had the same problem and it took 4 months to find the problem. I suspect that your problem helped in finding mine - they found a field rep in the Midwest who had experienced the same problem and it took almost a year to find it. They took pictures of everything in mine in March and told me they were doing up a TSB on it. There did not appear to be a previous TSB on it at that time.

<TED>

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Wow, crappy dealer technician for sure! Sorry to hear about your horrible dealership experience. A friend of mine recently bought a Ford and asked if I could recommend a dealership. I said, "No." Not to say I don't ever go to the dealership for service, because I do. And sometimes I'm even satisfied with their work. But based on past experiences I can't recommend them to a friend.

I know the feeling; I worked for Ford, way back in the seventies, and it appears the 'service' end of their business has been reduced to a joke. Under warranty there is no other recourse unfortunately. Due to where I work I pulled the actual dealer-submitted paperwork by VIN number, and it's amazing what they don't tell the customer. Ford took over a month to the reply for help from the dealer, which puts him in a poor position. Once you've bought, Ford Corporate has zero interest in customer service.

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
"Service Powertrain Immediately"

Wow. That would make me shit my pants.

...it damned near did; I was headed North on Rt95 out of Gaithersburg, Maryland and attempted to activate the cruise-control. Then everything went sideways: big orange open-end-wrench light warning me to 'SERVICE POWERTRAIN IMMEDIATELY. Sure, in the middle of a major highway. Then it defaulted to 'limp-mode'. I checked for coolant temp, oil pressure/temp, and voltage: all good. I figured if it blew up Ford WILL pay. Then did, but I had to sue. Ford Corporate must be populated by the terminally strange and twisted.

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I had the same problem and it took 4 months to find the problem. I suspect that your problem helped in finding mine - they found a field rep in the Midwest who had experienced the same problem and it took almost a year to find it. They took pictures of everything in mine in March and told me they were doing up a TSB on it. There did not appear to be a previous TSB on it at that time.

<TED>

Jeeze,whatta cluster; hopefully the Corporate suits finally have a lock on this. The next time this occurs, and there will be a next time, perhaps these collective experiences will put the owner back in the driver's seat within a reasonable time. Perhaps..

Sponsored
OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

We've arrived at a point where we cannot trust the dealer, a bad thing. But they've done it to themselves. I wish I could recommend the local Ford outlet, but after this..not-a-chance.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you don’t mind the question and could offer a little insight:

How were you able to get $9,500.00 paid out to you from Ford and you still have the vehicle (no Ford RAV Buy Back)?

Were they compensating you for 10 mos of car payments?

I’ve previously been through the Ford Claims process with my prior 2016 S550 - had (2) packages tossed my way (Extended Warranty and Maintenance Plan), multiple rental cars for months at no charge and 3 mos of car payments refunded... still didn’t resolve the redundant warranty issues with that 2016 and eventually ended up w/Ford RAV Buying Back my 2016 and swapping collateral into my current 2018 last Feb.

I’ve yet to hear of Ford making such an exorbitant payment to a customer until now.

Do tell.

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

We've arrived at the point where we cannot trust either Ford Corporate or their dependent dealers; I refused to give them my phone number, knowing the lies I would probably be told; Email only: that way you have written proof of what's being done. I humbly suggest everyone follow suit..best to all..w.

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If you don’t mind the question and could offer a little insight:

How were you able to get $9,500.00 paid out to you from Ford and you still have the vehicle (no Ford RAV Buy Back)?

Were they compensating you for 10 mos of car payments?

I’ve previously been through the Ford Claims process with my prior 2016 S550 - had (2) packages tossed my way (Extended Warranty and Maintenance Plan), multiple rental cars for months at no charge and 3 mos of car payments refunded... still didn’t resolve the redundant warranty issues with that 2016 and eventually ended up w/Ford RAV Buying Back my 2016 and swapping collateral into my current 2018 last Feb.

I’ve yet to hear of Ford making such an exorbitant payment to a customer until now.

Do tell.
I think they paid only because I had written, as in email, correspondence between me and the service department. When you have it in writing they can't lie their way out of it. Never, ever, talk to them either in person or by phone..email only. They also knew I had access to Ford's database and could, and did, pull all warranty claims on the VIN. (I don't like being forced to be more than a d*ck than I really am, but I was left with zero alternatives.) The $9500 probably includes, in Ford's mind, minor compensation for NOT offering a loaner/rental and a few bucks toward the payments, which, thankfully, I do not have. In Maryland $10000 is the upper limit on a 'non-safety' warranty issue, so I made out okay. I guess. Unfortunately this entire sequence of events has made me even more distrustful of both Ford Corporate and the local dealers. Thanks for the input, it's nice to realize I've not been singled out by the Ghost of Henry Ford for punishment..

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think they paid only because I had written, as in email, correspondence between me and the service department. When you have it in writing they can't lie their way out of it. Never, ever, talk to them either in person or by phone..email only. They also knew I had access to Ford's database and could, and did, pull all warranty claims on the VIN. (I don't like being forced to be more than a d*ck than I really am, but I was left with zero alternatives.) The $9500 probably includes, in Ford's mind, minor compensation for NOT offering a loaner/rental and a few bucks toward the payments, which, thankfully, I do not have. In Maryland $10000 is the upper limit on a 'non-safety' warranty issue, so I made out okay. I guess. Unfortunately this entire sequence of events has made me even more distrustful of both Ford Corporate and the local dealers. Thanks for the input, it's nice to realize I've not been singled out by the Ghost of Henry Ford for punishment..
Oh trust me, I still have literally reams of Ford Service Center work orders, emails, voicemails and correspondence between me and Ford CSR Claims as well as Ford RAV regarding my prior 2016. I was sure to get everything in writing as of the very first Ford Service visit @ 1,900 miles...everything. I went through (2) Ford Dealers, (1) Ford Franchise Owner from the initial warranty repair @ Dealership 1, (2) Ford FSE’s, (3) Ford Regional CSR’s, (2) Ford CSR Supervisors, the initial RAV Rep and then ended with her Supervisor. I was not playing games and made that VERY clear from the start and was going to get the resolution DUE to me and did.

All said and done, back in Feb 2018 while signing off docs with the Finance Mgr at the Dealership who facilitated the swap of collateral and helped with the whole ordeal, he looked at me and my wife and said he didn’t know what I did, but in all the years he’s been with Ford, he’s NEVER seen:

1) Ford RAV authorize a Special Order build for a newly released Ford model that wasn’t even on Dealers lots yet (this occurred in Sept 2017 just as 2018’s were starting to be seen in public and my 2018 wasn’t delivered to the Dealership until mid Feb 2018)
2) a Buy Back authorized on a vehicle that was past the 3/36
3) a Buy Back authorized on a vehcile with over 36k accrued miles
4) a Buy Back where the vehicle was almost 2 model years old
5) a Buy Back where RAV waived the delta between original MSRP and replacement MSRP

I have helped many others on this site with the Ford RAV Buy Back process. I also posted helpful detailed responses in many threads regarding Buy Backs or RAV related concerns. I started the large “Lemon” thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum on here to help others with Lemon claims. I don’t take it lightly when folks are being put through the ringer after purchasing a brand new vehcile... it’s uncalled for and unfortunately many folks don’t know they DO have rights and can get resolution, instead of being stuck with a Lemon. Check my user ID, as I’ve contributed a lot to this site that has helped many,

LMAO... in fact, my prior 2016 made quite the trek and has just surfaced in MO after being MIA after it was turned over to Ford here in NJ last year. I don’t know where that thing was for over a year, but I’ve updated the Lemon thread with the hyperlink to it.

Thanks for your response and best of luck with your Shelby; happy to hear that Ford did right by you!
Sponsored